Depression and Weight Loss

Options
I've seen quite a few posts from people suffering from depression that are having a hard time. It's crazy how weight and depression are linked but one of the symptoms of depression is sudden/unwanted weight gain or loss. I'm no doctor, but I've been struggling with major depression my whole life (diagnosed officially at 20) and I've come across a few things that help me through my rough spots.

1. Eating healthy(ish)
Eating greasy, fatty, fried foods might SOUND good right when you're feeling crappy, but in reality that type of food weighs you down. it makes you feel sluggish and even worse. I know that it's hard to say no to something that could possibly make you feel better but you can start your path by making better food choices.

2. Exercise
The happiest point in my life was when I was involved in cheerleading in high school. Sports (YES cheer is a sport!!) or any type of regular exercise releases feel-good endorphins in your body that lift your mood as well as your confidence. Once you actually force yourself to go that first time, you'll be surprised how often you go back, just to get that feeling again.

3. Singing
You don't have to be Mariah Carey or Kelly Clarkson, but when I'm feeling down I like to put my favorite songs on and belt them out. Put them on repeat or make a playlist and sing your heart out until you start to feel better. If you're shy (I'm not) do it in your car or when no one else is home but it really works. Also, a previous therapist told me that singing/humming helps with anxiety attacks. It regulates your breathing and helps you calm down.

4. Fake it til ya make it!
This one is one I have to use at work. Sometimes you go in and you just don't feel like it. You're tired. You're drained. You feel like crap. Just fake a good mood, eventually you'll really have one. It sounds stupid but this literally works for me every time I come in and I don't feel as chipper as I should. Attitude is something that can make or break a weight loss/fitness journey so try to keep it positive as much as possible.

These are things that I've had to learn on my own. The research is out there but as anyone with depression knows, research doesn't mean anything when you already feel like crap. Just try it. I promise you'll start to feel better. Once you feel better, you'll be better!

Good Luck!!!

Replies

• StrayTraveler
    StrayTraveler Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Very good ideas. Thanks for sharing!
  • Nada_2021
    Nada_2021 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I suffer from depression too, I know for sure how food can have its effect on you. When you eat healthy you might not enjoy it much but you wont be beating up yourself for what you've ate or feeling guilty. Exercise DOES make you feel happy and I am trying to push myself to start moving more and get off my chair. As for faking it, it works great. I used to be good at it, but right now my depression go so bad its hard to even fake a smile! But that never stops me :happy:

Thanks for posting this. The thing about how singing/humming help with anxiety was very helpful to me. Thanks for taking the time to post this :heart:
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    No problem. I was shocked to learn that little fact but it really does work