1500 Calories - What do you eat?

Options
jaimrlx
jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
I have my diary set to 1500 calories. Often times I meet my carbs, fat, protein, sodium and fiber - but my calories tend to sit around 900-1200.

I don't eat dairy, and stay away from gluten (except on maintenance days). What's your favorite way to get to 1500 calories?

Replies

• stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I love rice!! And granola/trail mix. Right now I'm munching on pretzels... but those might have gluten in them.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    All of them do, except for the trail mix. Maybe I should eat more nuts, since my meals are so low. Good idea!
  • LauraRose03
    LauraRose03 Posts: 140
    Options
    There are gluten-free pretzels, I have tried them and they're actually pretty good! Can't remember the brand name, though, sorry, I guess I'm not much help :-/
  • krizz5u6
    krizz5u6 Posts: 64
    Options
    i eat oatmeal, also try adding protein shakes or you can do yummy protein bars they have gluten free ones (the be kind bars are my fav. i think they are gluten free) also lots of snacks :) apple with hard boiled egg is my fav. you can also do cottage cheese or greek yogurt with some berries or nuts yum :)
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free, and my son is dairy free so a lot of what I've got in the house is GFDF.

Crunchmaster crackers
    Nuts
    Add tuna to salads and such
    Enjoy Life granola (top 8 allergen free)
    I know there's more, but my dog is distracting me cause she wants out. There's lots of options.
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    I usually hit 1400-1500. feel free to browse my diary!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    It's not hard, really. I am eating 1500 and I often hit 1800, including exercise calories.

I try to have wine and gelato every night, if I hit my protein macros.

The main thing to realize is that the more you eat, the more you will want to eat, due to Leptin production in your body. So if you find it tough to get to 1500, just try every day to eat 100 more calories than you did the day before, and you will slowly find yourself hungry for the increased calories as well.

If you want ideas, take a look at my diary.
  • Squidgrok
    Squidgrok Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I enjoy celery and almond butter as a way to bump up the cals. Carrots and humus is another favourite
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You might want to ask on the GF board, as there are more people there with other food sensitivities.

Obviously, cottage cheese and greek yogurt contain dairy. As do most protein bars (as I eat a nature valley protein bar, it clearly says it contains Whey).

I really would stick to the higher calorie counts for your buck. Nuts are a fabulous way to start. Avocados, have some tortilla chips with guac.

Do you like Hummus? Its really good too.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I usually eat between 1400-1700... my diary should be open.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Also, full fat foods. Nus, nut butters, etc. are a really good way to get there.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Nuts, beans, avacados, instead of using low fat food use good fats...like , olive oil, coconut oil, safflower oil which also help your heart and brain function and clean your arteries.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have a delicious spinach recipe that easily adds 100 calories to any meal. Easy way to up your calories.

1 cup spinach, chopped or shredded
    1 T garlic, or to taste
    1 T green chili chutney
    1/4 cups chopped red onion
    1 t sesame seed oil

Heat frying pan to medium high and add sesame seed oil.
    When heated, add all ingredients except for spinach; fry until garlic is golden.
    Add spinach and stir until wilted.
    Serve hot.
  • crystal9999
    crystal9999 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Nuts and nut butters are a great way to add good calories to your diet. I love Maranatha Almond Butter, spread it on an apple, mmmm good!!!!
  • blindedbyawesome
    blindedbyawesome Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree nuts are a great and healthy way to get the calories you need. Now you can buy them in many different flavors and spicies just look in the peanut aisle in your grocery store or health food store.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have my diary set to 1500 calories. Often times I meet my carbs, fat, protein, sodium and fiber - but my calories tend to sit around 900-1200.

How is this possible? If your cabs/fat/protein are each a percentage of your total calories, how does this come out to less than 100% (1500) if you are meeting each individual target?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any Nuts but I love Almonds and Pistachios and I will eat my fair share of All Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter...... Calorie dense and good for you fats..... Nom Nom Nom
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, egg whites, low carb protein powder, apples, chicken, tilapia, broccoli, sweet potatoes, raw almonds. strawberries, almond butter
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    There are gluten-free pretzels, I have tried them and they're actually pretty good! Can't remember the brand name, though, sorry, I guess I'm not much help :-/

Snyder is the brand. I actually prefer them to regular pretzels!
  • Yatashie
    Yatashie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    All of them do, except for the trail mix. Maybe I should eat more nuts, since my meals are so low. Good idea!

There's no gluten in rice...