Alcohol...

Options
Does anyone else almost feel guilty when they know they have a night out planned which will involve anywhere between 1,000-2,000 calories intake from alcohol in regards to entering it into their tracker?

I've done well the last few weeks in regards to being under my target every day and have seen reasonable results thus far and I know that everyone is quite entitled to enjoy themselves and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the occasional excessive day/night. Think it's just a psychological thing seeing a daily input into the tracker being waaaaaaaay over the target......

Replies

• Alcanta
    Alcanta Posts: 11
    Options
    It does make you think...:noway: but that is the point, isn't it?

It is Friday, cheers! :drinker:
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I usually don't log it, unless I only have 1 or 2, I know I've gone way over, so there's no point.
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    Yeah...its rough. I've resorted to doing two-a-days on Saturday/Sunday if I know I'm going out drinking, burning something like 1100-1200 calories just so I can come in 200-300 over my daily goal.

I just look at it like I have to earn my indulgences...want desert, go burn it off first, want to play Mr. Wastey Face on a Friday night...go do the work. I'm going to an all you eat/drink beer fest tomorrow night...looks like an hour morning session with perhaps a nice 3-4 mile run in the afternoon...yeah, fml.
  • Squashypig
    Squashypig Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for almost a year now. I used to have a drink (or 8) every night, which is probably the reason I had 40+ lbs to lose!! Nowadays I'm trying to maintain my weight, having lost around 50lbs, and I tend to keep the alcohol for the weekend. Sometimes I have tins in the fridge and may only have one or two, sometimes not even one! In the beginning it really did make me realise, seeing it in black and white, just how many wasted calories were being consumed from alcohol alone. It was obscene! And to be honest when you're on a calorie deficit you'd rather eat so you're not hungry instead of getting wasted. It all depends on what's important to you personally. But as they say, everything in moderation, and I have to admit it's done me the world of good getting round to this way of thinking.

Cheers :drinker:
  • rlinaresv
    rlinaresv Posts: 108
    Options
    Squashypig,

I feel you
  • christynek
    christynek Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I drink liquor (the clearer the less calories) with a low calorie mixer, and then prelog it before going out. So under guilty things I'll log "6 shots of tequila"...hehe. I used to feel bad. But then I didn't because it's fun.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I went out last weekend for my friend's birthday to a Biergarten (FANTASTIC! Zeppelin Hall- if you're nearby you should go!) I had been religiously following my weight loss plan and knew I wasn't going to be that night. I weighed myself before proudly, and then went off.

I had a set plan beforehand that I would only drink beers that were unpasteurized and unfiltered. Those beers have more B vitamins and some probiotics so hey, you can feel a little bit better about it. Beers later--I knew I was WAY over my calories for the day- just logged a clear 1,000- and let it go for the night. Next night, I had a Rodizio dinner for another birthday (all you can eat Brazilian cooked meat) and had to log 800 in addition to my day. And honestly, a week later, it's like I never ate/drank crap at all. I wouldn't go weighing in right after, but your body does benefit from a good night and having fun with friends.

In 3 weeks we're going back to the same Biergarten for my other friend's birthday---just due to the hangover, I think I'm going to be trying one of their gluten-free beers. They're 100% sorghum and contain no high fructose corn syrup or weird chemicals/preservatives. Perhaps something like that would be an option for you?
  • muttnchop
    muttnchop Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You are not alone...I feel the same guilt. I pretty consistently overindulged in wine mostly. Now that I track calories I definitely prefer to eat them over drinking them. But sometimes you have to let go and enjoy yourself or really what is it all for??? And I do try to make up for it in my activity/exercise. Enjoy yourself...and back to business tomorrow :)
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I still try to log every beer I have even if it is going to be way over. My thinking is, that it's not just for the day / night it's for the week.

You'd be amazed how you can make that up over the next week. A little more movement here and there and a few less calories eaten here and there... It all adds up to the point of still being under your weekly goal.

So I try to stay at or under for each day, but what I really keep an eye on is how I'm progressing for the week. (Makes it a little more manageable.)
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    If I have a heavy night, I tend not to log it cos I dont want MFP knowing what a boozehound I am. hahha
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I try to log most of it....it makes me consider drinking in moderation, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Of course, if you don't remember how many rounds you had how can you accurately log it. I think logging helps me drink less, and then if I'm not feeling the effects the next morning I'm more likely to get a bonus weekend workout in.
  • armstrong71
    armstrong71 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Malibu Rum 51 calories an OZ. , mix with diet soda and you can have a lot of drinks for not many calories.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I'd only log it if it's impressive. 2-3, not impressive. 7-8, now wer'e talking.