1200 Calories a day, but shoot, I'm hungry!

Options

Replies

• lesleynichole4
    Options
    MFP tells me I should be taking 1200 calories daily as well (more if I work out). However, I found I just wasnt losing any weight with that amount of caloric intake. So, I upped my cal's to about 1400-1500 daily and am now steady shedding the LB's. I think its just because everyone's body is different. Some people are able to lose weight at 1200 calories a day, but my body just wanted to "store" rather "lose". Once I lose about 5 more lbs, I'll probably have to re-adjust back down to around 1200, but it is def true, you've got to eat to lose!
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I think it's a bit of a no brainer that if you are that hungry you should definitely be eating more. Your body is telling you too. I would suggest to try and find where you can eat happily and healthily to 'maintain' (maybe 2 weeks trial?), then from there subtract 200 or 300 calories, then keep playing around until the weight comes off.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    It's only fair to include your fiances fitness regimen as well so the OP knows what kind of output is required to maintain that caloric intake.

You can watch it, everything she does:

http://www.youtube.com/user/teamwildtv

Thats our youtube channel.
  • MelodyinGa
    MelodyinGa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Like others have stated, your calories may be too low for your workout. I think upping your protein and lowering your carbs would help and push water!
  • ericalyn73
    Options
    Increase your calories. 1200 is not enough fpor anyone unless they are laying in bed all day.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's only fair to include your fiances fitness regimen as well so the OP knows what kind of output is required to maintain that caloric intake.

I'm not nearly as buff or ripped as Yo, but I lift weights about 30-45 minutes 3x a week and run 3-6 miles 3x a week, and eat about 2300 to maintain. I did significantly less and lower intensity while I was losing, and ate between 1800-2000 on average.

You don't need to live in a gym to eat a reasonable amount of food.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

I'm not nearly as buff or ripped as Yo, but I lift weights about 30-45 minutes 3x a week and run 3-6 miles 3x a week, and eat about 2300 to maintain. I did significantly less and lower intensity while I was losing, and ate between 1800-2000 on average.

Hallelujah! :laugh: :drinker:
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Lucky lucky girl!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    With 10 Lbs to lose, shoot for 1/2 Lb per week loss. Of course, eat back those exercise calories if you're using the MFP method.

Also, get more protein...doesn't look like you get much if your post is an accurate reflection. Have protein at every meal and snack. For example, some greek yogurt and a banana (or the clementine) for your AM snack is going to hold you over a lot longer than having two servings of fruit (carbs).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Lucky lucky girl!!

It's not luck, it's math. :smile:
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Lucky lucky girl!!

It's a matter of a lot more than math. If it works for and you are where you want to be that is awesome however we all start and want to end up in different places and we all have individual barriers to overcome along the way. So please don't over simplify it for the masses. It's important to understand:

1. Where people start.
    2. What their end goal is. (it may or may not be to have your figure)
    3. How much work are the willing to do.
    4. Lifestyle and time
    5. Differing medical make-ups
  • ghostdivatonya
    ghostdivatonya Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Protein!!!!!!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    The act of weight loss occasionally causes discomfort. If you can't stick to 1200 calories, you should increase the number. I t'll take longer to lose weight. Your choice. But there's nothing unhealthy about a 1200 calorie max.
  • girllimberlost
    Options
    Not enough, one.

But also, your calories are backwards. You should be eating the bulk of your calories in the morning.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Lucky lucky girl!!

It's a matter of a lot more than math. If it works for and you are where you want to be that is awesome however we all start and want to end up in different places and we all have individual barriers to overcome along the way. So please don't over simplify it for the masses. It's important to understand:

1. Where people start.
    2. What their end goal is. (it may or may not be to have your figure)
    3. How much work are the willing to do.
    4. Lifestyle and time
    5. Differing medical make-ups

After educating oneself it's mainly about psychology. You have to find a diet or eating schedule that you will stick to and exercise you enjoy.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have no desire to get into the eat more or eat less. lift that do that argument...however, looking on your typical day...what if you changed up your typical day a little bit more, or continued like that but had one day where you ate something pretty significant, even if it sends you over 1200 that day...I also have 1200 calories but there is at least one day a week where i blow it out of the water, i dont feel like I am ever really THAT hungry, I think for ME at least its because there is such a variety to my days, i feel great when i nail those 1200 calories, but i also feel great when i have something new or different or out of the ordinary, and i usually feel good on that one day when i eat tons. maybe you are really hungry, maybe its because you arent getting enough protein, but maybe you are jsut bored with what seems like honestly a pretty boring day to day menu, my two cents
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Try eating a salad or any veggies. You can eat a of of them and they barely have any calories. Try cucumbers, celery, or carrots!
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Protein is important, but there IS such a thing as too much. Excess protein can have adverse health effects, including gallstones and kidney stones.

I set mine a bit higher than MFP's also, I'm not saying not to eat protein. However, I see many, many recommendations that are far in excess of what is needed. Protein isn't a magic bullet for weight loss and should be eaten in moderation, the same as everything else.

The US government actually recommends only 46 grams of protein for adult women (http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html). That does seem very low and I get twice that, but super protein loading isn't necessary.

http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/dietary-guidance/dietary-reference-intakes/dri-tables
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Not enough, one.

But also, your calories are backwards. You should be eating the bulk of your calories in the morning.

I have seen reports on studies that say weight loss was affected by the time food was eaten, and that those who ate the bulk of their calories early in the day have lost more. However, that is partly because later snacks tended to be high in calorie/low in nutrition. Eating all my calories early just doesn't work for me and many others. Saving up some calories so I can eat late helps me resist cravings or feelings of hunger.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I would add more proteins/fats. The banana and clementine are high sugar and will cause a crash/hunger. Get some string cheese/almonds/protein shake/Quest bar etc instead.

Add some bacon/turkey bacon maybe instead of wrap or heck...add it in with some avocado....1200 is too little anyway.

Subway is all bread...again sugar crash/hunger.

Drink lots of water....and coffee is a good filler as the caffeine is a hunger suppressant. I'd probably up your cals too. 1200 is low. HTH!