Polling - Polar FT4 or FT7 to get?

Options
2»

Replies

• moxiepedia
    Options
    I have the FT4. I was looking for a heart rate monitor that tracks heart rate and calories burned. I had no need for other features, which you may want, depending on your training.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I bought the FT7 because I wanted the data-transfer capability, so I wouldn't have to manually enter all the data in the computer.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I bought the FT7 because I wanted the data-transfer capability, so I wouldn't have to manually enter all the data in the computer.
    I've been interested in the FT7 because it does do this, but... what do you do with the data once you transfer it? Just curious because I'm not sure if I would truly use this featrue. I already just manually enter my calories burned into MFP. What more do you do with your information?
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've been interested in the FT7 because it does do this, but... what do you do with the data once you transfer it? Just curious because I'm not sure if I would truly use this featrue. I already just manually enter my calories burned into MFP. What more do you do with your information?

I want to know this as well..
  • whankammer
    whankammer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I actually own..or owned both. I gave my FT4 to my wife when I upgraded and got the FT7. I just wanted some extra data fields to look at but still the main one I wanted was Calorie burn and they both are pretty darn accurate.

Yes the FT7 allows you to data sync with the extra 40+ dollar FlowLink transmitter (worthless IMHO since you're going to have to add your calorie burns into MFP or any other tracking software manually). So you spend the 100ish for the FT7 (is it still that much?) plus another 40+ for the transmitter.. Plus if I remember correctly you have to pay to use Polar's Personal Training site. I don't remember that last part.

For me personally I love my FT7 still use it when I'm doing things other than running. But in all honesty it just comes down to price since they're both pretty much the same.
  • Derpinaaa
    Derpinaaa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I bought the FT4 because its cheaper. It works for me.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I actually own..or owned both. I gave my FT4 to my wife when I upgraded and got the FT7. I just wanted some extra data fields to look at but still the main one I wanted was Calorie burn and they both are pretty darn accurate.

Yes the FT7 allows you to data sync with the extra 40+ dollar FlowLink transmitter (worthless IMHO since you're going to have to add your calorie burns into MFP or any other tracking software manually). So you spend the 100ish for the FT7 (is it still that much?) plus another 40+ for the transmitter.. Plus if I remember correctly you have to pay to use Polar's Personal Training site. I don't remember that last part.

For me personally I love my FT7 still use it when I'm doing things other than running. But in all honesty it just comes down to price since they're both pretty much the same.

Free access. Free training suggestions too.

But indeed, workout timestamp and time, avg and max HR, calories burned, and track your personal stats in yet another place.

Yep, not that useful unless you are training and trying to do proper zones.
  • Melly7105
    Options
    I have the FT 40, I LOVE IT. i seriously is my best friend.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I just bought the FT4 and I love it. I use it everyday. Very easy to set up and use. Haven't had any issues. And I think it's cheaper than the FT7. Got mine off Amazon for $75.
  • gmtaylor07
    gmtaylor07 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have owned both watches in the past year, ridiculous I know! The FT7 is GREAT and provides a LOT more feedback than the FT4. The FT$ is really a basic HRM that keeps track of your last 10 workouts. Thats it, no other perks. The FT& keeps like 30day of info and analyzes that information to tell you weekly whether you need to train more/less and what heart rate zones you should be in more/less. It also gives you a weekly recap with the total amount of calories burned and time.

BE CAREFUL when you change the batter on the watches....this led to the demise of my FT7...I broke it. I then purchased the FT4. Do I miss the 7? Not really. I plug my calories burned in on MFP after most workouts and my goal is to really capture my week calories burned. Yes, the FT7 was more efficient but the 4 is a LOT less.

Both are great watches.
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had an FT4 and it was fine but crapped out after many years. I then replaced it with a low-end Timex that I absolutely frickin' HATE. When it does work (seldom and not well), it makes these annoying chirping noises. So I'm back in the market but am looking to perhaps combine it with a bike computer since I could use both and bike a lot.
  • kaitlynsmom
    kaitlynsmom Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 and really like it. Only wanted to know calories burned and time and that is what it tells me. :)
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Looking to get a HRM and have it down to either: Polar FT4 or Polar FT7.. Which do you recommend and why?? Thanks and sorry if this is a dup question. Thanks!

Beurer PM62 Heart Rate Monitor about $60, does everything you need and has a data download to it's own program to track workouts, graph.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Weird question, are the setting easy to change on the FT4 or FT7? Would it be possible to share one of these with my husband if we didn't care about the long term tracking (aka I'd work out, log my stuff into MFP, then he'd change the weight/height/etc and he'd work out and log his stuff? Or is that not possible or a giant headache?
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    LOVE my FT7. Best purchase related to fitness I have bought.
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    FT-7 with the PolarFlow data transfer accessory. Gives more info than the FT-4 and can be synched to the polarpersonaltrainer website for recording sessions and tracking gains in fitness.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Weird question, are the setting easy to change on the FT4 or FT7? Would it be possible to share one of these with my husband if we didn't care about the long term tracking (aka I'd work out, log my stuff into MFP, then he'd change the weight/height/etc and he'd work out and log his stuff? Or is that not possible or a giant headache?

Entirely doable, though I'm beginning to think it bases some calculations on your weekly workout time. So the calorie burn would not tighten up to better estimate.