gym or personal trainer

I go to zumba 2x a week for an hour each class but id really like to start strength training. the thing is I dont know what types of machines to use or how often, ect.... I am on a budget and dont want to spend a lot. I am looking at planet fitness ($10 a month or $20 a month if i want guess pass or other amenities) or fit 4 life (they dont have prices listed on line) - i looked at la fitness and future fitness and they seem kind of expensive. I am signed up for zumba till june so I dont need a gym with classes at the moment plus I really like the instructor - its held at a private studio place tho, nothing else there. I just want some recommendations on gyms and training programs... do I need a trainer or can I just go and work out myself? how will I know if what I am doing is right? also if it matters I live in south jersey - near philly. thanks so much

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    stay at your current gym and learn how to use the equipment
    all of the machines are self explanatory and most have pictures on them showing how to use them. if not ask someone or check youtube.
  • Devin182
    Devin182 Posts: 63 Member
    i dont have a gym at the moment. any experience with planet fitness?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Do any of them have day passes? Buy a few day passes and go try things out. See how busy it is when you would typically go, what kind of equipment they have, how clean it is, etc etc.

Having some idea of a routine ahead of time would help so you can see if they have the equipment you need, but it's not crucial.

You don't need a trainer, but they can be helpful getting a routine put together, learning the machines, and learning form for the lifts. But all of that can also be done without a trainer.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Get a copy of new Rules of Lifting for Women. I guess Planet Fitness is decent for the money, but they ban deadlifts and grunting, and have marketing that makes fun of lifters, so, personally, I wouldn't go there. They also bring in bagels and pizza and cupcakes.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Do you have any friends that have experience with lifting? Do you have an Xperience Fitness in your area, this is another low monthly fee gym that has all the amenities that you would probably want (including additional fitness classes you can take that are included in your membership).

I wouldn't suggest just trying to find someone that can show you how to use them. When you first go to sign up at the gym, ask if they have someone that can show you how to do it. Explain you are on a budget and cant pay for PT sessions right now but you want to get started out right. A lot of gyms will work with you on this!

Personally I'm not a huge fan of Planet fitness at all. and I HATE their ads.....just because a guy/girl is fit, thin, muscular, etc. doesn't mean they are stupid or shallow.......
  • I have never been to planet fitness, but I have only heard BAD things about them.
  • Devin182
    thanks everyone
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    I'm starting my new gym on Sunday and have kept money for a personal trainer. There is no way i could possibly know what I was doing. I have read lots of info beforehand though, including new rules of lifting for women. I can recommend a site called 'A workout routine". Loads of info on there. I can't assume my form etc will be done ok so that's why i'm using the trainer for a few times. I really need the confidence as well.
  • Devin182
    Thanks I just check the site. Seems good
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Definitely check out any gym before you sign up - Planet Fitnesses vary wildly with the equipment they have and what they allow. Mostly they're a reliable place to get your cardio in, but I've heard that some have decent weight equipment. (Mine doesn't.) The Gold's Gym near my kid's school is great, but the one by my house is... not. I checked out about five gyms before I joined the Y because they have a pool, and have had absolutely no complaints.

If you can swing it, a personal trainer is a great investment. You don't have to go for long - just say upfront you want 4 or 6 sessions where they set up a program and instruct you on form. Sometimes you can get in on a small group (2-4 people) thing that's cheaper than individual instruction. If you can't, YouTube videos aren't really a substitute, but they're better than nothing.

And it's an off chance, but if you live near a community college or rec center it's worth checking out what they have - if you're lucky, you can get gym access and group classes for really cheap.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I just joined a new Planet Fitness that opened up next to my house. I'm just glad I signed up for the $10 per month/no commitment option! I joined so I could do the New Rules of Lifting for Women program but they don't have the equipment I need. I can get by for now, but will look for a new gym when I move in a couple months.

They have a lot of cardio and weight machines, so it's a great option if you want to start out using machines. They also have the 30 minute circuit which I know people like.

I would suggest picking up the New Rules of Lifting for Women book though. I've read the book and I started workouts this week and it's going great.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Don't be nervous about asking people on how to use the equipment or to watch your form/technique. You can ask the gym staff or experienced members. If you're not sure who might be experienced, one of the gym staff members should be able to point out one or two of them. Good luck! Have fun!
  • Ryanmariem
    Ryanmariem Posts: 46 Member
    Definitely check out any gym before you sign up - Planet Fitnesses vary wildly with the equipment they have and what they allow. Mostly they're a reliable place to get your cardio in, but I've heard that some have decent weight equipment. (Mine doesn't.) The Gold's Gym near my kid's school is great, but the one by my house is... not. I checked out about five gyms before I joined the Y because they have a pool, and have had absolutely no complaints.

If you can swing it, a personal trainer is a great investment. You don't have to go for long - just say upfront you want 4 or 6 sessions where they set up a program and instruct you on form. Sometimes you can get in on a small group (2-4 people) thing that's cheaper than individual instruction. If you can't, YouTube videos aren't really a substitute, but they're better than nothing.

And it's an off chance, but if you live near a community college or rec center it's worth checking out what they have - if you're lucky, you can get gym access and group classes for really cheap.

I agree w/this ^^

I also recommend checking out your local community colleges, some of them have decent gyms although can be a bit on the smaller size. That is what I did when I went back to school from 2003-2006, I used up my PE credits and took two courses of Weight training & nutrition course, really taught me a lot and I kept it up after I was done... also was able to take a karate class & archery... plus they had some freebe classes to drop in like pilates and yoga...all great and cost effective.

I totally relate to being on a strick budget... 2yrs ago I moved to the Kenia Penisula from Seattle and one of the first things I did was check out the community college here and was so sad to find out they do not have a gym =( .... the downside of living in a rural small town area... the other gyms they do have are ridiculously high, so I have been missing my gym the last two years... Hopefully that will change by this summer as I been working on budgeting a gym membership or invest in some of my own equip... but I don't let not having a gym keep me from working out, lots of stuff can be done in and around the house. =)
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    I go to planet fitness and I love it! I'm following a weight training program by jamie eason and I can get 98% of the lifting done there, some things I have to modify but the program shows different options. My gym has free weights but I don't think all of them do. The lunk alarm never goes off but I know it does at other ones (my friend said at hers that the guys try to make it go off to show off so it doesn't even have a negative affect =P) I'd check it out personally before writing it off because its a great deal! I also agree with checking out local colleges since a lot of them have really nice gyms.
    And a trainer would be great if you can afford it but I found that if I print out all the info and watch the videos of the different moves I have to do before I go then I do alright. Plus most of the machines have signs on them anyways.
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Have no money for either one! I work out at home. However, check your local hotels. My son signed up
    for a $20/month pass. Its not as "glamerous" as the gym and may not have all the equipment but it is rarely
    crowded and there is no contract.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    When you join a gym ask if you can get an orientation with it where someone will walk you around and introduce you to the equipment.
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    I think strength training can be done w/out a trainer.

As long as you
    1. do research & start of w/ low weight to perfect your form - i use my phone to search youtube for videos on any new lifts i'm trying (also to track & listen to music)
    2. you use common sense - if something feels unnature (not hard, but unnatural) you are probably off on your form somehow - go back to where you saw the lift & look again.
    **Also, my gym has mirrors all around, which i find helpful b/c i can see my form rather than just feel it.

Usually gym staff is more than willing to show you around + that gets you comfortable with them & you feel more apt to ask them for assitance. also the longer you go, there's a good chance you will get to know ppl & can ask them for pointers...
  • BettyBlueEyes
    BettyBlueEyes Posts: 56 Member
    I'm in the UK so have no idea about the gyms, sorry. I had a personal trainer just for a single session so that she could show me what to do with all the free weights (the machines are pretty self-explanatory). From that we worked out a pretty good workout to start off with, and I am building up from there. I now have the confidence to go down to the weights room with all the grunters and just get on with my workout without feeling self-conscious. Well worth the £30, I'd recommend it!
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    I go to zumba 2x a week for an hour each class but id really like to start strength training. the thing is I dont know what types of machines to use or how often, ect.... I am on a budget and dont want to spend a lot. I am looking at planet fitness ($10 a month or $20 a month if i want guess pass or other amenities) or fit 4 life (they dont have prices listed on line) - i looked at la fitness and future fitness and they seem kind of expensive. I am signed up for zumba till june so I dont need a gym with classes at the moment plus I really like the instructor - its held at a private studio place tho, nothing else there. I just want some recommendations on gyms and training programs... do I need a trainer or can I just go and work out myself? how will I know if what I am doing is right? also if it matters I live in south jersey - near philly. thanks so much

My gym is Planet Fitness. Their trainers who work the floor will create workout plans for you and show you how to use the equipment. I also have a home gym. So, I get a new workout from the trainers and do it the first few times there. Then I take it home for about six weeks. Then I go back and get another one.
  • Devin182
    Thanks everyonr. I think I'm just gonna go for it. Just deciding f I want to pay $10 or $20