MFP to TDEE-20%... Results????

Options
124»

Replies

• kabertrand63
    kabertrand63 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just switched and was wondering what other peoples success (or not) with upping calories was and how long it took before you started to lose weight/inches/bf% whatever your goal is???? Also any suggestions when doing this???
    I just did this as well. Curious.

If I use the TDEE #, does that already include workout calories? Do I eat those back?

I'm having more success using tdee- 15% than I had using MFP numbers. My only suggestion is to stick with it, even if it gets scary, you'll start to see the results within 8 weeks, I NEVER saw a gain when I started but I may be an exception to the rule.

When you calculate your TDEE add in your activity (exercise) DO NOT choose sedentary when you're clearly not, either don't log your exercise on MFP or log it as 1 calorie burned no matter how much it really burns, when you add on exercise it increases your macros and you don't need it to do this at TDEE cut :flowerforyou:

Thank you, you said it so much better than I! This is what I've been trying to get across. If you want to add in exercise, just use MFP numbers by default. I wouldn't mess with TDEE and adding in exercise.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    <~~~~~ I never tried it the MFP way. But I've lost over 30 pounds in about 8 months eating at TDEE-cut, lifting heavy, with some cardio.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i switched in the begining of this year. So far so good. No changes on the scale, but i can feel my clothes fit better.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I've been on this for a while (saw a loss after about a month of it, but then gained a wee bit when I upped my calories to take into account the lifting, and only recently have started to stabilize out), but recently shifted to weight lifting (using the New Rules of Lifting for Women) and the only issue I have is knowing which selection to choose:

Obviously not sedentary. But is lifting 3x/week, with moderate walking in between (roughly 10k steps recorded by my fitbit) in the "moderately active" option? Right now, I split the difference between lightly active and moderately active and took 20% off that because I wasn't sure where I fit.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump to read later....
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tomii13
    tomii13 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    def. bump
  • holliwood97
    holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    LOVE this!!! replying for later... need to reread. :) bump
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Like some of the others on here I set my activity level at sedentary and then eat to my TDEE minus 20%. I have a HRM so use it to eat back my exercise calories on the days I exercise. I do this as some weeks I exercise six days a week, some days three, so find this more accurate.

I started six weeks ago and have lost 6lbs. Some of this has been lost as 1lb in the space of a couple of days, other times it has taken 13 days to lose a pound. But it's a loss, nonetheless and I'm still eating carbs, drinking beer and don't feel deprived. I've also started weight training, so want to make sure I'm fuelling my body and only getting rid of fat, not lean tissue.

It's a bit slow, but it's the most success I've had in a long time.

And today I'm another 1lb down, so 7lbs in 7 weeks (at this steady rate I know it's fat, not lean tissue I'm losing). Perfect! Even better, I've lost 2ins off my waist.

I have wine with dinner if I want and dessert almost every day; just within my calorie count. I run, hike and lift weights - and eat back every single calorie.

Yes, I am a member of the Cult of Dan, because, quite simply, his way works! No magic potions, just commitment and faith that if you keep at it it will work:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • thehealthykitten
    Options
    Bump!
  • simplyjess829
    Options
    I'm new to the TDEE-20%...and I'm confused with my numbers. Would someone mind messaging me and helping me see if my numbers are correct? Just seems like a lot of calories to eat and it scares me a little bit :/
  • Lovable12
    Options
    Update... Been almost a month have still just fluctuated between 126 and 129... haven't lost any inches either... any suggestions??? What could I be doing wrong??
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Update... Been almost a month have still just fluctuated between 126 and 129... haven't lost any inches either... any suggestions??? What could I be doing wrong??

You have 13 lbs left to lose and it may take you 6 months or more to lose them. Also if you are lifting heavy, you may never lose those pounds. But who doesn't want to be smaller with a higher scale weight??

(Note that my original goal was get to 165 lbs and size 8. I fluctuate between 169 lb and 174 lbs and a size 4/6. If I only paid attention to the scale I would still think I need to lose another 5-10 lbs, but the reality is I don't. Track other things besides the scale!!! Also I did this all while eating at TDEE minus 10-15%. If you are close to goal, then you need to eat at a smaller cut.)
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lovable12
    Options

You have 13 lbs left to lose and it may take you 6 months or more to lose them. Also if you are lifting heavy, you may never lose those pounds. But who doesn't want to be smaller with a higher scale weight??

(Note that my original goal was get to 165 lbs and size 8. I fluctuate between 169 lb and 174 lbs and a size 4/6. If I only paid attention to the scale I would still think I need to lose another 5-10 lbs, but the reality is I don't. Track other things besides the scale!!! Also I did this all while eating at TDEE minus 10-15%. If you are close to goal, then you need to eat at a smaller cut.)

I agree completely about the scale, and I wouldn't be so frustrated about that if I was losing inches too but I had also been taking measurements and no change there either :(

So with about 10-15lbs to lose I should be only at a 10-15% deficit? I used the spreadsheet that was on one of these forums to calculate my TDEE at 1838 and a 20% deficit goal would be 1469, BMR 1328... But it also says another option is to just eat at goal weight TDEE-5% which is 1645... current TDEE-15% is 1563 and TDEE-10% is 1655... Should I just try 1600 for a while and see how it goes? I found it odd that it suggested eating at goal weight TDEE since I thought you were supposed to readjust your TDEE for every 5 lbs lost though
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

I agree completely about the scale, and I wouldn't be so frustrated about that if I was losing inches too but I had also been taking measurements and no change there either :(

So with about 10-15lbs to lose I should be only at a 10-15% deficit? I used the spreadsheet that was on one of these forums to calculate my TDEE at 1838 and a 20% deficit goal would be 1469, BMR 1328... But it also says another option is to just eat at goal weight TDEE-5% which is 1645... current TDEE-15% is 1563 and TDEE-10% is 1655... Should I just try 1600 for a while and see how it goes? I found it odd that it suggested eating at goal weight TDEE since I thought you were supposed to readjust your TDEE for every 5 lbs lost though

Don't over complicate it. Your current TDEE is 1838. Your BMR is 1328. Eat less than TDEE and more than BMR. 1600 sounds reasonable.

Losing inches takes time...remember this is a for the rest of your life kind of thing. Be patient.
  • Lovable12
    Lovable12 Posts: 34
    Options
    1 month update for those who were curious about TDEE results... gradually increased to eating 1600 calories (TDEE is ~1750)... not seeing the difference I wanted in the first month... I know I need to give it time but its frustrating... For workout I have been doing SL 5x5, and only doing cardio 1-2 times a week..

Scale still fluctuates within 5 lbs...
    Inches: Gained an inch everywhere and can tell, clothes are definitely tighter..

Since I have not lost/maintained inches I am dropping calories back down to 1400 (still above BMR, I have learned from this that 1200 is NOT enough) and picking up the cardio!

Let everyone know what your results have been with increasing calories/changing workouts! :)