Gave up bread, craving peanut butter: what do I do?

Options
13»

Replies

• MaybeAMonkey
    Options
    I like to add peanut butter or almond butter to chocolate protein shakes, so tasty! It's also great spread onto fruit slices or small squares of dark chocolate. If you can have rice crackers you can spread peanut butter (or any kind of nut/seed butter) on that as well - gives you a crunch similar to toast. :)
  • hyphenbobbit
    hyphenbobbit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Sounds strange but peanut butter on celery is great....give it a try!!:smile:
  • heymayer
    heymayer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    30+ replies in like a minute, man I love this site. Thanks everyone, definitely some good ideas here. Can't believe I didn't think of some of them myself. Duh!
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Maybe dip a banana (or half) in peanut butter and lay it flat on parshment paper. Freeze it in freezer. You can even sprinkle on crushed peanuts (or almonds, cashews, walnuts etc), coconut flakes, etc. ORRR even just stir fry some chicken, add a few teaspoons of peanut butter and crushed peanuts. YUM! Itll be like szechuan chicken.

As for bread, there are cool options to replace bread and carbs in general. CAULIFLOWER! Ive made cauliflowered 'fried rice' ( amazing, look it up on you tube made by fit2fat2fit ) cauliflower pizza crust (ive even seen cauliflower cheese bread made for dipping in marinara sauce), mashed cauliflower, etc. Also i was grocery shopping yesterday and saw that weight watchers has thin sliced whole wheat bread that for one slice is like 54calories, carbs 9.85g, total fat 0.5g, sodium 78.5 . You could just freeze it and if you need one slice youll have it and it wont be as bad as some other breads.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Maybe dip a banana (or half) in peanut butter and lay it flat on parshment paper. Freeze it in freezer. You can even sprinkle on crushed peanuts (or almonds, cashews, walnuts etc), coconut flakes, etc. ORRR even just stir fry some chicken, add a few teaspoons of peanut butter and crushed peanuts. YUM! Itll be like szechuan chicken.

Peanut butter and banana is fantastic-great post workout treat.

Dark chocolate chips and peanut butter is great for sating a sweet craving too.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    celery or apples....yum!
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    search for "protein mug cake," it's in the recipe section. you can do two spoonfuls of PB instead of one and it is SO good.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Good for you for giving up bread!

I was having stomach troubles no matter what I ate. I made a drastic change to an organic, anti-inflammatory, gluten free, dairy free, soy free diet. I had some major hurdles changing my diet that drastically all at once. It was difficult even to know what I could eat and what I should avoid, but I'm getting the hang of it.

One thing I have learned is that peanuts/peanut butter is very inflammatory and should be avoided by people with digestive problems. A good alternative is organic (or regular) almond butter. It tastes very similar to peanut butter.

Just a word. As we get older, our bodies are much more susceptible to inflammatory foods due to a lifetime of taking prescription and OTC drugs, and just your body's intolerance to certain foods. I would suggest, to anyone having digestive problems, to try eliminating gluten and other inflammatory foods from their diet. I have noticed a positive difference in my after meal "gut" feelings in just a few weeks.

A really simple book about this is by Jessica K. Black, N.D. She has a book for sale on Amazon for about $12.00 called The Anti-Inflammation Diet and Recipe Book. It's easy reading with a good chart on where foods stand on the inflammation scale as well as information on how gluten, soy, and dairy can cause some people digestive problems.

PS: I am having a hard time giving up bread, so I bought a bread baking machine and am currently experimenting with different flour combinations which I can tolerate. There are many non-glutinous flours available.
  • brendadale1
    brendadale1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and spring rolls.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

As weird as it seems, but the texture of the bread is what u maybe craving:) soo try pnut butter on something soft like hmmm a low carb soft taco tortilla:) (giggle) it may work.
  • sebersbe
    sebersbe Posts: 3
    Options
    i AM ALSO a Peanut butter nut.....But, am really to live without it for awhile...Sometimes, I just take a spoonful for the day and it helps.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I do a jacket SWEET potatoe and mounds of peanut butter. One of my favourite lunch options :love:
  • bluskies01
    bluskies01 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    As weird as it seems, but the texture of the bread is what u maybe craving:) soo try pnut butter on something soft like hmmm a low carb soft taco tortilla:) (giggle) it may work.

It's not weird at all, in fact that's why I commented on this thread, to suggest just this. Put the PB on a tortilla, and wrap it around a banana. You can slice it up or eat it whole, either way it's yummy.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Try peanut butter with any of the following:
    Celery
    Carrots
    Apples
    Bananas
    Dill Pickles (not kidding!)
    Greek yogurt, especially honey flavor
  • Bxrlvr73
    Bxrlvr73 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I opened this post while eating my Chili for lunch and suddenly had the urge for peanut butter so I put a spoonful in my chili, it's delicious!
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I like to chop up a banana and give the slices little peanut butter hats, it's actually my favourite way to eat peanut butter.

This! I love peanut butter & banana this way (and, as others have said, in a smoothie).
  • traceme
    traceme Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use PB2 instead of regular PB, its very good!
    Apples, bananas and plain or caramel rice cakes are my faves!!
  • erincastle
    Options
    & I cut the 'brand peanut butter with the organic almond butter (which I dont like the taste of) but if I mix the two together I can fool myself :)

its good on crisp apples too
  • sisterphonetica
    sisterphonetica Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Oatcakes, rye crackers, spelt crackers, peanut butter from spoon.