Which is better for recovery?

Options
Hey guys! I'm sorry if this has already been asked. I looked but didn't see that it was.
I'm pretty new to doing cardio and weight lifting as a strict routine. I've started to research drinking meal replacement shakes as a recovery drink, protein shakes as a recovery drink., and carbs/protein as a recovery. All claim to be the "best way to recover". My head is spinning trying to figure out what is truly best.
Which do you use? Why?
Any opinions are greatly appreciated. And please, no bashing. :)

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Just eat a healthy balanced diet, high in protein and dietary fats, with moderate carbs and you're good.

no magic shakes needed.
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    Just eat a healthy balanced diet, high in protein and dietary fats, with moderate carbs and you're good.

no magic shakes needed.

Not needed if you can get ALL of the servings of proteins and veggies a day that the experts say we should. Have you ever tried Shakeology?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It's not super important, but getting some protein into your system shortly after weight training isn't a bad idea. Milk actually has a really good carb/protein ratio for post workout.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    The main thing is getting protein after a workout. It doesn't have to be a shake, but it's easy and I think that's why most people do it.

The problem I have is counting it into my calories for the day. If I have a shake after working out, sometimes it in addition to my regular meals and puts me over on my calories. I need to work on this.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

no magic shakes needed.

Not needed if you can get ALL of the servings of proteins and veggies a day that the experts say we should. Have you ever tried Shakeology?

LOL
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It really isn't needed as a rule. Personally, I feel better all evening long if I eat something directly after working out, but solid food makes me feel nauseated after working out. So I tend to make a smoothie with fruit, Greek yogurt and protein powder and maybe some peanut butter. But it isn't about some magical recovery shake, for me it is just about getting the calories in and I count it as one of my meals.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Not needed as long as you get adequate nutrition throughout the day.

That being said, I drink protein shakes (usually the powder, milk, and pb2) after my workouts cause I like the taste and they (mostly psychological I'm sure) make me feel better.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    As most people have said...just get your macros in line for the day...if you need to supplement with a protein shake, go for it.
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options
    My mum, who is a marathon runner, always drinks banana milk after a run. Someone said about about the carbs/protein ratio so I'm assuming it's something to do with replacing glycogen in the muscles and getting protein to repair muscles.. Not sure though.
  • aostdiek
    aostdiek Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I just try to get a decent amount of protein. My favorite post-workout recovery drink is chocolate milk + pb2 (powdered peanut butter) + greek yogurt + a bit of protein powder. Tastes great!
  • aostdiek
    aostdiek Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I just try to get a decent amount of protein. My favorite post-workout recovery drink is chocolate milk + pb2 (powdered peanut butter) + greek yogurt + a bit of protein powder. Tastes great!

I should add - I have recently started mashing up a banana and adding that. Perhaps a bit too much sugar...
  • cosplayerkyo
    cosplayerkyo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is wonderful after a hard workout :)
  • speediegreengal
    speediegreengal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am a very clean eater. That part I have down. I'm thinking just a protein shake will do it, or a cup of milk with my yummy homemade chocolate sauce! You all were helpful! :D
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I use a protein shake because I suck at getting in protein through my meals. I would rather eat carbs, pretty much all the time. The shake helps me to fill in the gaps.

Meal replacement shakes (namely slimfast cause it's the only one I'm familiar with) tend to have a ton of sugar, and little protein. The nutrition I looked up for them has 220 cal, 34g sugar, 40g carbs, only 10g protein and 220mg sodium. Not ideal in my book.

Protein shake on the other hand has 160 cal, 25g protein, 7g carb, and 1g sugar when mixed with unsweetened almond milk. Plus, it tastes a whole lot better. I use trutein in cinnabun flavor right now, and really enjoy it. It tastes like the milk from the bottom of a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch cereal.

Comparing the 2, I think there is more benefit from drinking the protein shake over the meal replacement. It's certainly harder to get in protein than carbs if you're not carefully planning. I doubt many of us need a carb and sugar supplement drink.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I keep protein shake mixes around the house but I only use it on weekday mornings when I just don't leave enough time to prepare a proper meal. My the time I finish my AM workout, shower, and get dressed, I literally have like ~10 minutes to be out the door. On those days I will make a smoothie with vanilla shake mix, avocado, spinach leaves, coconut milk, and a little bit of honey for added sweetening, as well as creatine mono mixed in. Otherwise? I'd rather have an omelet.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I struggle getting enough protien in to my diet to hit my Macros, so I found a Low Carb, High Protein powder, but I am still trying to work it into my diet. Going to try mixing it with skim Milk (since I do not want the fat) and see where that gets me. If I do not eat something post work-out (I work out after breakfast) my morning is Kind of difficult, so I do a Candy Bar (I mean a Protein bar) and later follow-on with Fruit and just start Hard Boiled Eggs.

I do not subscribe to the "you need to have protein exactly 30 minutes after you are done working out" group, I just know how I feel and if I do not get protein and Carbs I do not feel well that morning.

See how you feel, if you are hungry or shakey after your work-out try and eat some protein and carbs and stay away from the sugar.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I use the V-Core protein shake with 2% milk as a recovery shake and eat breakfast which normally consists of 4 slices of land o frost ham and 3 boiled eggs. The protein shake totals up to 240 calories.