Greek Yogurt

Options
dewsmom78
dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
I don't understand the new craze with this. Am I the only one that hates Greek yogurt? To me it tastes like fruit flavored sour milk.

Yuck.

Replies

• Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think it's an acquired taste. I bought a single flavor in each brand and found that I can stomach Fage, the best. I tried the "honey" flavor for all the brands of Greek yogurt and most of them tasted like soured milk with honey. I now buy the Fage plain and add my own honey or fruit (because I don't want all the extra sugar). I would recommend trying something like that and see if you can't find one that you like. :)
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    There are certain brands that I like more than the other and I would agree that it's a little bit more of an acquired taste but it's much more filling than other yogurt to me! I've been eating the Dannon Light Greek in Strawberry and I have done the Yoplait Greek in Strawberry and thought that was good.
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Like most foods I find myself eating these days, I eat it for health and nutritional purposes not the taste.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    Love it!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I don't like it by itself. I do how ever like using it as a replacement for sour cream.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I like that it has way more protein than regular yogurt! That's the main difference. As far as taste, try every brand you can. I hate, HATE Stoneyfield Oikos....actually I don't like any of the Oikos ones. I like Chobani, Fage, Wallaby, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's brands. I don't like any of them with honey. I always add fruit (mangos are good) or I add the greek yogurt to a smoothie. If you still don't like the taste but want the benefits, I'd suggest adding it to a smoothie because the fruit/veggies will mask the taste.

P.S. I also like to use it in place of cream in recipes!
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I love that stuff. When i started cutting back sugars, I realized how much I despise other yogurts. They are too sweet and chalky to me. Can't eat them anymore now. I love it, but it WAS an acquired taste, took me a while to like them. <3

ALSO

In my side of town,

Chobani was being sold at out grocery store 10 for $10!!! WIN!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like it okay if it's sweentened, but I don't like it enough to waste calories on when I can have a glass of wine for about the same calories.

The unsweetened stuff is nasty and is a crappy substitute for sour cream. It doesn't taste like it or have the same consistency.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    No...my friend hates it...while I love it!! I love bitter tasting things though...go figure!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Like most foods I find myself eating these days, I eat it for health and nutritional purposes not the taste.

This makes me sad.
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Looooove the Chobani chocolate chunk. Add in a tbsp of peanut butter. Tastes like you are eating something bad for you, but it's oh so good!
  • lunnay
    lunnay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I always loved greek yoghurt, from the very first moment I tried it! I get the full-fat sweetened version though. ;) If I'm going to have something delicious as a treat, I'm going to have all 189 kcals of it.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    To each thier own...

I hate cottage cheese.. yet everyone seems to eat it..

ICK!
    Looooove the Chobani chocolate chunk. Add in a tbsp of peanut butter. Tastes like you are eating something bad for you, but it's oh so good!
    This sounds like dessert! I'll melt choclate chips and make it myself though. lol.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options

This makes me sad.

Yah...how miserable to not enjoy what you eat...find healthy foods you love, dont eat what you dislike :(
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I don't like it by itself. I do how ever like using it as a replacement for sour cream.

This! I tried it this week and felt like I was eating a tub of sour cream. Now I will use it as sour cream.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    This whole thread is sad.
  • Lakerfan
    Lakerfan Posts: 3
    Options
    I eat it primarily for the higher protein values. I also mix in a half serving of natrual almonds to give a little bit more life. I prefer Chobani brand (light) over most of the others with preference to variety pack you can get at Costco.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Chobani!!!!
  • Lisafrazier71
    Lisafrazier71 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I LOVE "Greek" yogurt. When I was a little kid (like thirty something yrs ago...) ALL yogurt tasted like "Greek" yogurt. It wasn't all runny and funny colored and overly sweetened like it is now. I have no idea why they're calling it "Greek". Never got that part...
  • Ryanmariem
    Ryanmariem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes it is an acquired taste, there are some brands that I can not stand. I agree w/Jennifer0878 the honey flavored was the best for all the brands I have tried. So far my fav. Greek yogurt is Greek Gods, my daughter and I just really like the texture to that one. I also by the plain and add my own honey or fruit for taste. We still try out dif. brands, get a couple of small singles when on sale at the store. My 10 yr old likes to try the dif. ones w/me and boy oh boy, she is very honest if it tastes too much like "sour" milk, along w/the facial expressions...haha =) So far we have found that the Greek Yogurts that say fat free, are the worse at tasting like "sour" milk... so we try to find the lowfat ones...

I find that I go through yogurt phases... where I have to have my daily yogurt, but since I got sick last month I eliminated a lot of diary due to the congestion stuff... and am still at a minimum for yogurt right now.

I do like the added protein of greek yougurt but when I can't stomache the taste I have found some other brands that are comparetive, if you stick w/the plain lowfat and watch the sugar on the label, it is not so bad. It is just a matter of label reading some brands are just loaded w/sugars etc... It is way better to add your own natural flavoring, like honey or fruit, does not take much and add some flaxseed...oh yum...makes a great snack or breakfast.