Working Out Inside Is Boring

Options
Any Tips?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Go outside.

If you can't go outside, find a fun workout you like. Try some HIIT, it's quick and intense, and you won't get bored because you'll be done in 10 minutes. I love the "tabata" and HIIT workouts on the beFit Chennel's Buttlift workouts. Their ab program has some good interval videos, too. Try doing a class or browse the videos at your library for something that looks fun.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Bundle up and go outside ;-).

What are you doing now? What do you enjoy doing?

I run/cycle in the summer. During the winter I still run outside but incorp. Turbo Fire and amp up my weightlifting.
  • TinyAtomic
    Options
    If you can't go outside, then stay indoors and blast some music. It's what I do, and it helps me get at least another 30 minutes in. :) Good Luck!
  • hugglegirl
    hugglegirl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Go outside.

If you can't go outside, find a fun workout you like. Try some HIIT, it's quick and intense, and you won't get bored because you'll be done in 10 minutes. I love the "tabata" and HIIT workouts on the beFit Chennel's Buttlift workouts. Their ab program has some good interval videos, too. Try doing a class or browse the videos at your library for something that looks fun.

Where are thoughs?
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I totally agree but last August I moved to an area where going outside is not very good due to the high volume of traffic in the area. When I do go outside for a walk or something I get totally stressed out from all the speeding cars. I used to live in an area where there was a ton of nature and hiking trails and beautiful views right out of my door so it was a huge adjustment trying to figure out a new routine now that going outside wasn't much of an option.

What have I done? Basically suck it up and go to the gym in our apartment building. I listen to music or podcasts and when I am on the cardio machines I usually play games on my iphone to pass the time (like poker). Going to the gym is certainly better than not getting any exercise at all, which is what I was doing for a time after we moved since I didn't really like the gym or the outdoors.

I am trying to get outside occassionally, on the weekends, maybe go hike in some area parks, but it still isn't nearly the same as where I used to live. I'm sure my dog also misses our old place.
  • hugglegirl
    Options
    Bundle up and go outside ;-).

What are you doing now? What do you enjoy doing?

I run/cycle in the summer. During the winter I still run outside but incorp. Turbo Fire and amp up my weightlifting.

I love biking and going for long walks but i'm still not used to my area so I feel unsafe going without my fiance.
  • hugglegirl
    Options
    I totally agree but last August I moved to an area where going outside is not very good due to the high volume of traffic in the area. When I do go outside for a walk or something I get totally stressed out from all the speeding cars. I used to live in an area where there was a ton of nature and hiking trails and beautiful views right out of my door so it was a huge adjustment trying to figure out a new routine now that going outside wasn't much of an option.

What have I done? Basically suck it up and go to the gym in our apartment building. I listen to music or podcasts and when I am on the cardio machines I usually play games on my iphone to pass the time (like poker). Going to the gym is certainly better than not getting any exercise at all, which is what I was doing for a time after we moved since I didn't really like the gym or the outdoors.

I am trying to get outside occassionally, on the weekends, maybe go hike in some area parks, but it still isn't nearly the same as where I used to live. I'm sure my dog also misses our old place.

Yea I'm literally in the same boat I moved from walking distance to the river to the centre of downtown.. It's scary so now if I want to go walking on the trails my fiance has to drive there. but he works and after he's off it's dark out (untill summer at least) so I only get to go twice a week. I have exercise equiptment but I get so bored so easily.
  • Keyblr
    Keyblr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I much prefer to run outside. I will go outside in 30 degree weather, I can bundle up enough, but it is the slippery ice/snow that keeps me indoors. (Wisconsin weather)

So, I suffer through the treadmill or elliptical. I sarted out by just listening to music on my iphone and telling myself "i'll just do it for 20 mintes" I cover up the machine display with a towel so i can't watch the time tick by slowly. Usually what happens is when I check how long I've gone it so close to a 30 minute work out I end up finishing it.

Recently I have downloaded some good audio books onto my iphone. I only listen to them when I exercise. This way it's like a "treat". The story draws me in and the 30 minute work out flys by.

But still, I am waiting for spring... to run outside with the sun shining down and some good old school heavy metal blarring in my ears!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Actually, I turn on the TV then put my headphones on and just watch the images. Sometimes the music that pairs up with whats on TV is pretty comical.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've given up my fears of going alone outside.

I vary where and when I go, so there's no predictable schedule. It's pretty silly to be afraid of some hypothetical cannibalistic killer rapist who just happens to be hanging out around the secluded trails where I sometimes run with chloroform and duct tape on the random day I decide to run there. There's a much greater chance of someone following me home from the grocery store and hiding out in my recycling bin. And I'm not afraid of that, either.

Ice is the only thing that keeps me indoors. I've gone running when it was 10F, in the snow, in the rain, in the heat. Although I hate wind. I will go out in the wind, but I hate it.
  • hugglegirl
    Options
    I've given up my fears of going alone outside.

I vary where and when I go, so there's no predictable schedule. It's pretty silly to be afraid of some hypothetical cannibalistic killer rapist who just happens to be hanging out around the secluded trails where I sometimes run with chloroform and duct tape on the random day I decide to run there. There's a much greater chance of someone following me home from the grocery store and hiding out in my recycling bin. And I'm not afraid of that, either.

Ice is the only thing that keeps me indoors. I've gone running when it was 10F, in the snow, in the rain, in the heat. Although I hate wind. I will go out in the wind, but I hate it.

thanks that made me laugh :P
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    buy and xbox kinect.... fun games and have fun while you get your cardio on!
  • beckystrattoncooper
    Options
    What inside workouts are you doing?
  • hugglegirl
    Options
    What inside workouts are you doing?

not so much workouts as exercise equiptment.. why?
  • hugglegirl
    Options
    buy and xbox kinect.... fun games and have fun while you get your cardio on!
    I have wii fit :D although I have an xbox and I wanted connect.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I vote go outside -

If it's cold - layer! I'll run outside if it's above 15 degrees...you get used to it (at least I did)

If it's dark - go in a well lit area. I run at night and through some not so well lit area. I have reflective bands and I wear one on my wrist and one on my ankle on the side of my body closer to traffic. Problem solved.

Bored with just running? Run to a place (park, empty parking lot, basketball court). When you get there, sit-ups, lunges, jumping jacks, push-ups, squat jumps, short sprints, russian twists, split squat jumps, bench jumps (if there's a park bench, etc..), planks, pillars...the options are endless.
  • agpie9
    agpie9 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like POP Pilates which are free on YouTube and you can do them inside or outside. The instructor, Cassie, is super perky so I like to yell at her and call her names as she's making me hurt. Her workouts span beginner to advanced so if you are interested in that kind of workout I would definitely give her a go.

Here is one for beginners > POP Pilates for Beginners - Total Body Workout >
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCg_gh_fppI&list=PLC8399E5B8DF19FA8&index=4

Here is one that's a little more advanced > Corset Workout for a Slim Waist (POP Pilates) >
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yENYdGnxmhg&list=PLC8399E5B8DF19FA8&index=16
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT sprints and during my 'breaks' I do some body weight resistance stuff or plyometrics. Kinda goes like this:

Sprint
    Bench dips x 10
    Sprint
    Press ups against bench x 20
    Sprint
    Side jump over log ten times
    Sprint
    Hurdle jumps over fallen tree
    Sprint

etc, etc.
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Im all for anything interval as long as there is intensity appilied at some point. Go out for a walk and put on your best running shoes and a game face. There's a street leading into my neighborhood 1 mile long and light post every 100 feet apart. The other evening i used these light post as markers.
    Sprint 2 post (200ft)
    Walk 1 post (100ft)
    One mile out one mile back. My glutes, hams, and quads hurt like crazy upon completion. That never happened on the treadmill before since there was an actual propelling force between my feet and the ground. My butt hurts again just writing about this.

Im a rookie Sprinter but my best advice for "outdoors" would be to come to a complete stop before your sprint, and lower your body in the starting block position. Upon take off the first couple steps from the driving force are far more intense than accelerating from a jog to sprint. Once you reach full acceleration I might even stop there and recover with another brief walk. Thrusting off of that block technique repeatedly is whats going to give you greater soreness over an endurance run. "In my opinion"