1200 Calories a day, but shoot, I'm hungry!

Options
124»

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Not enough, one.

But also, your calories are backwards. You should be eating the bulk of your calories in the morning.

false.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Try eating a salad or any veggies. You can eat a of of them and they barely have any calories. Try cucumbers, celery, or carrots!
    Salad is healthy, but it usually does not help with hunger. It's better to eat a small amount of healthy fat or protein.
  • Eyesblu
    Eyesblu Posts: 60
    Options
    Listen to your body...you're hungry..eat.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Protein is important, but there IS such a thing as too much. Excess protein can have adverse health effects, including gallstones and kidney stones.

Source? I don't call what you say broscience, its noscience I'm afraid...

Do regular high protein diets have potential health risks on kidney function in athletes?

Poortmans JR, Dellalieux O.

Source
    Department of Physiological Chemistry, Institute of Physical Education and Kinesiotherapy, Free University of Brussels, Belgium.
    Abstract

Excess protein and amino acid intake have been recognized as hazardous potential implications for kidney function, leading to progressive impairment of this organ. It has been suggested in the literature, without clear evidence, that high protein intake by athletes has no harmful consequences on renal function. This study investigated body-builders (BB) and other well-trained athletes (OA) with high and medium protein intake, respectively, in order to shed light on this issue. The athletes underwent a 7-day nutrition record analysis as well as blood sample and urine collection to determine the potential renal consequences of a high protein intake. The data revealed that despite higher plasma concentration of uric acid and calcium, Group BB had renal clearances of creatinine, urea, and albumin that were within the normal range. The nitrogen balance for both groups became positive when daily protein intake exceeded 1.26 g.kg but there were no correlations between protein intake and creatinine clearance, albumin excretion rate, and calcium excretion rate. To conclude, it appears that protein intake under 2. 8 g.kg does not impair renal function in well-trained athletes as indicated by the measures of renal function used in this study

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10722779
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    This is just from personal experience, but I find adding at least one full egg into that egg white breakfast you have helps with becoming full and satisfied. Instead of doing that with a wrap, have two eggs and a slice of bacon maybe. I eat around 8:30 in the morning and am not hungry until 2 when I do this. If I'm hungry before 2, I have a Kind bar, which has good fats from the nuts and a little sweet.

I would have one fruit as your snack as you are probably having too much sugar in one sitting and then crash after. I feel the same way when I ingest two full servings of fruit at once.
  • alabamamommy
    Options
    I give myself 1300 calories a day and try not to use my exercise allowance. I'm new to this whole thing also. That time of the month def makes a difference in my hunger level. Today I had an apple for breakfast and then for lunch brown rice, a grilled chicken breast, black beans, salsa and some avocado chunks. It was delish and I couldn't eat it all. Cheese stick for snack. I love apple with almond butter and chocolate chips. I also use the 310 Nutrition shake after workouts. It has 26 grams of protein and only 123 calories. It's pretty good and doesn't have artificial stuff in it. I add almond milk and berries or cocoa powder for a chocolate fix. Cabbage stew is temporarily filling. Make a big pot and keep it in your fridge, you can eat that anytime and only has about 45 cals per serving. I drink unsweet green tea with lemon and lime squeezed in. It's hard! I keep thinking I will retrain my brain to like eating this way, but hasn't exactly happened yet. :) Eye on the prize.....
  • alabamamommy
    Options
    I also keep hard boiled eggs in my fridge and a huge salad that I can use for several days. Keeps me from grabbing cereal bars or a bag of chips.
  • GinJon
    GinJon Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

It's not luck, it's math. :smile:

It's a matter of a lot more than math. If it works for and you are where you want to be that is awesome however we all start and want to end up in different places and we all have individual barriers to overcome along the way. So please don't over simplify it for the masses. It's important to understand:

1. Where people start.
    2. What their end goal is. (it may or may not be to have your figure)
    3. How much work are the willing to do.
    4. Lifestyle and time
    5. Differing medical make-ups

Still math. It's a matter of calculating your TDEE (in my case, through trial and error) and eating with an appropriate deficit.

It would be pure torture for me, with a TDEE of ~2300 to eat at 1200. That would be eating at a 48% deficit. If my TDEE were only 1500, 1200 calories would only be a 20% deficit and perfectly doable.

At one point in my life, I thought I had a crappy metabolism and got all kinds of blood tests because I had such a hard time losing weight, despite eating less than 1000. Weight loss was so slow, so hard, that I thought there was something seriously wrong with me, and I just gave up. I'd rather be heavier and eat normal than eat minimally to weigh less.

Since then, I've spent the better part of the last two years educating myself, eating well, increasing my lean mass, increasing my exercise, increasing my NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis), etc. to make sure I have a nice TDEE. It's not luck, and it's an insult to say it's luck.
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options

It's not luck, it's math. :smile:

It's a matter of a lot more than math. If it works for and you are where you want to be that is awesome however we all start and want to end up in different places and we all have individual barriers to overcome along the way. So please don't over simplify it for the masses. It's important to understand:

1. Where people start.
    2. What their end goal is. (it may or may not be to have your figure)
    3. How much work are the willing to do.
    4. Lifestyle and time
    5. Differing medical make-ups

Still math. It's a matter of calculating your TDEE (in my case, through trial and error) and eating with an appropriate deficit.

It would be pure torture for me, with a TDEE of ~2300 to eat at 1200. That would be eating at a 48% deficit. If my TDEE were only 1500, 1200 calories would only be a 20% deficit and perfectly doable.

At one point in my life, I thought I had a crappy metabolism and got all kinds of blood tests because I had such a hard time losing weight, despite eating less than 1000. Weight loss was so slow, so hard, that I thought there was something seriously wrong with me, and I just gave up. I'd rather be heavier and eat normal than eat minimally to weigh less.

Since then, I've spent the better part of the last two years educating myself, eating well, increasing my lean mass, increasing my exercise, increasing my NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis), etc. to make sure I have a nice TDEE. It's not luck, and it's an insult to say it's luck.

You are absolutely correct. It's not luck but you did however have a thorough understanding of all the other factors at play in addition to your numbers. That is huge and an important part many well meaning fitness "advisor's" leave out.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely correct. It's not luck but you did however have a thorough understanding of all the other factors at play in addition to your numbers. That is huge and an important part many well meaning fitness "advisor's" leave out.

Dawn, what makes you're metabolism so special compared to everyone else?

Why can you not accept we can improve your metabolism and allow you to eat more and still lose weight, after the metabolism is back in proper working order?
  • Kelseekae
    Options
    Dont worry my dear,
    I was like that for the first week, i eat a 1200 maybe a little bit more but i dont eat breakfast i found out that it makes me hungrier and i have more energy in the mornings so i do a weight loss shake (morning & night and one meal that is lunch sometimes i like to switch it up) with some fruit because we all know fruit and protein go hand in hand :) and i work out twice a day most of those work outs are cardio. I have been on this for 3 weeks now and have dropped 16.4 pounds the first couple of pounds are the easiest but i was also stuck as you were, but since i have really started tracking and snacking it has gotten easier also with desserts there are these brownies i have after lunch they are 90 calories by fiber one they are amazing!!! try them.

And many good wishes and thoughts to you for your weight loss :)
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Dawn, what makes you're metabolism so special compared to everyone else?

Why can you not accept we can improve your metabolism and allow you to eat more and still lose weight, after the metabolism is back in proper working order?

My metabolism is special and unique based on:

1. my activity level (sedentary for on average 22 hours/ day on most days)
    2. exercise level (I strive for 5 hours of intense exercise a week but I might fall short some days)
    3. food/liquid intake
    4. age, weight, gender
    5. stress level
    6. genetic make-up
    7. medical

All of my personal factors are not taken into account when calculating TDEE and BMR and these #'s are critical to a complete understanding. Without them, you will never hear me give anyone advice on what they should do.

I don't need more expensive test tube foods in my day like protein shakes. I am meeting my caloric, protein, and nutritional goals (through a combination of real food, test tube food, and vitamins) and if I am going to eat more its going to be a cupcake not another damn chicken breast. Quite frankly I'd argue my body is pretty efficient and making great use of what it is being given.

You may not understand how I could possibly live happily on 1200 calories a day for so long just like I don't understand how you expect to keep your 4000 cal a day metabolism for the rest of your life. We all get older and our bodies change. At some point you just may have to face a lower calorie diet. Beware.

PS - Yesterday everyone thought I was on the brink of death and starvation and today you want to help me loose more weight?