compulsive carb cravings

Options
2»

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I opened my food diary

Ok. So you've only logged today - very low calories. And then a whole bunch of blank days, and then many days back, a few days again with very low calories.

You're just hungry due to undereating. So eat. Carbs, protein, fat. Whatever. Just eat.

ETA: and as usual, every other response in the thread is tossing out random advice without paying attention to the context.
    cuz i stop logging after i cheat so it looks like im eating very low but really im eating plenty

Don't stop logging. Build up a few weeks of actual accurate history and then let's reassess. Besides, your idea of what cheating means might be warped.
  • Toomanytwinkies
    Toomanytwinkies Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm watching my son eat extra butter n salted popcorn right now. Last week I would have had visions of stealing it from him n locking myself in the bathroom with the bowl until it was done! Seriously! I'm not having a problem with it at all now. Two words...lemon water :)
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    get more lean proteins in early in your day. Do stuff without added sugar (if peanut butter, do it without sugar or fake sugars, if yogurt, go with 2% plain). Your body needs to adapt to less sugar. I used to crave carbs at night too. It can be a vicious cycle. Feed it good stuff and it will reward you. Eat some bad carbs only once in a while, like maybe 2 meals out of each week, include it, but don't make that bad carb the centerpiece of your meal. Or, get the stuff out of your house entirely if you can. That way, you won't give in to the temptation as easily.
  • nannukka
    nannukka Posts: 52
    Options
    Very interesting thread! I'm newbie and this hit home. Sweet things and carbs are my thing too and the evenings are hard. It is lot better for me now since I do not have time to watch TV during a week and I go to bed early so the window for eating the "naughty stuff" is smaller. But I can so relate - since it's never just one cookie people. Never. I do think it is true that you do have to log either all of the foods or none. Logging just some is pointless. It is an eye opener to see how much you actually eat, but sometimes also surprising that there is actually "room" especially the days you exercise hard. you start making the connections with exercising and eating and "is this worth eating since I have to log it". It is a process. The logging helps and it keeps you accountable. But also reminds you to eat more when you used lots of calories (which can be hard for us women).
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I opened my food diary

Ok. So you've only logged today - very low calories. And then a whole bunch of blank days, and then many days back, a few days again with very low calories.

You're just hungry due to undereating. So eat. Carbs, protein, fat. Whatever. Just eat.

ETA: and as usual, every other response in the thread is tossing out random advice without paying attention to the context.
    cuz i stop logging after i cheat so it looks like im eating very low but really im eating plenty

Don't stop logging. Build up a few weeks of actual accurate history and then let's reassess. Besides, your idea of what cheating means might be warped.

tonight cheating=2 chocolate bars 2 bowls of cinnamon toast crunch a chocolate munchie pringles mike and ikes gushers and lemonade. definitely not warped....and the retarded thing is that after eating all this i dont even feel stuffed and sick just full :0
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I opened my food diary

tonight cheating=2 chocolate bars 2 bowls of cinnamon toast crunch a chocolate munchie pringles mike and ikes gushers and lemonade. definitely not warped....and the retarded thing is that after eating all this i dont even feel stuffed and sick just full :0

don't worry. just log it! it's the least you can do. make a vow to log everything (you can make your diary private again if that helps you stay accountable to yourself). you really do need to start there. and sometimes, just from the very fact that you have to log it, might make you think twice about eating it. but for starters, log everything for a while.

do it! will you do it?
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    sure why not....ill give it a shot thanks!
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    All day i can walk away from a cookie....i can eat perfectly within my diet and calories. Boom nighttime comes and i crave carbs like someone with a drug addiction. sometimes i can hold out til 830...sometimes 10 sometimes even 12....but it just gets worse as time passes and i cant help but eat. I'm at my wits end. Anyon eelse have this problem or a solution?

So eat some carbs. Plan the rest of your day to leave room for some at night.

Agree with this.
  • kgoodman0108
    Options
    You are fighting your biology. Your body responds to carbs (glucose) by producing insulin. The insulin then decreases the amount of glucose in your system. Next things you know, you are eating carbs again. It is a cycle. If you significantly decrease the carbs in your diet and instead eat high protein foods you will dramatically reduce your cravings. It really really works. Processed carbs are the worst. Simple carbs in fruits and vegetables are much better and healthier. Healthy fats in moderation are ok because they fill you up.

Hope this helps

^ This. High protein/fat will curb your cravings and keep you satisfied.
  • Goal00128
    Options
    Your calories are to low. You are setting yourself up for failure.
  • TJMiddaugh
    TJMiddaugh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    out of sight out of mind for me. i just dont buy anything i know im going to regret and then i avoid eating it.. just a thought. it works for me (i.e.) cant eat cookies that are not there
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I think sleep deprivation contributes also. I know that it can cause you to make bad food choices. For me, it's like while I'm snacking and sleep deprived, I just don't care at that time, because I'm too dang tired. I worked night shift last night, and now I feel like crap. Especially since I just went on a chocolate eating, carb rampage!!!! I am very unhappy with myself right now, but it's like something just comes over me at a certain time of the day. Like when the sun comes down, I turn into a carb addicted werewolf! I'm perfectly fine all day long, happy, can turn down any bad food choice like nobody's business.....but then, when the sun goes down, that werewolf comes back out! I've searched the internet for causes like crazy, and I can't really find anything good. I did find this, though, which makes sense. First I want to say that on the nights that I exercise, about 6p, I usually don't crave sweets, unless I'm starving, and just willing to put anything in my mouth, simply because I'm hungry, but that's a different feeling, and I know I just need to eat, and it will go away. I read that endorphins can curb your cravings for sugar. Exercise can raise endorphins, but so can some other things. Meditation, touch, laughing, and sex :wink: :smokin: Unfortunately, my husband doesn't come home until very late, after all of my sugar cravings are either over, or satisfied by lots of carbs. Now I understand that we do, in fact need to have some amount of will power here, but I just want these cravings to stop! I'm so aggravated by them! I don't even have to be hungry to get them. Heck, most of the time that I get them, I just got done eating dinner! And yes, I know that eating carbs can certainly contribute to the desire to have more carbs. So, I have done the carb cleanse thing before, where I did atkins, and for the first few days, it was horrible. I was having such bad cravings for carbs, but they did subside after a while. I do agree that stopping all carbs can definately help with this issue....however, I am not willing to give up all of my carbs at this point. As for the person advocating the lemons, I still haven't tried it yet, because I haven't been to the grocery store yet, but as soon as I do, I'm going to buy a bag FULL of lemons!!!! Lol. If it actually works, I am going to jump for joy, scream at the top of my lungs, and shout it from the mountain! LOLOL. I will definately update everyone if that works, but if it doesn't, I will try to increase my endorphins, and consider purchasing some seratonin, since many articles suggest a lack of it causes sugar cravings. Seratonin is the "feel good" hormone, and eating sugar causes the brain to release some, which makes us feel good, but as soon as our bodies burn up the sugar, we're left wanting to "feel good" again. For the folks who plan on jumping down my throat after reading this, because they disagree with something, I just want to say, that I have already lost almost all of my weight, and I'm less than 20lb's away from my goal. I have lost 65lb's, BTW, so yes, I know how to have will power, and I know how to lose weight. For me, it's not about that. It's about getting rid of the "crazy b#$ch" in my head, screaming at me, and telling me to eat something sweet! I just want to shut her up....permanently!!!! :mad:
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Okay this may not go over well, however I've found that planning for carbs helps. Want the whole candy bar? Eat the corner. Let yourself or else it builds up. The reason you don't feel full is psychological. Physiologically you may take in more than enough cals and carbs but you "feel cheated". So plan your cheats. Yum yum yay.