Greek Yogurt

Options

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of different brands, and honestly, they all taste different. Experiment and you might find one you like. I eat it because it has double the protein of regular yogurt and I needs my brotein!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i love it. it was an acquired taste. but so was beer. love 'em both.

now regular yogurt tastes nasty to me, so sweet and it doesn't have body, which weirds me out. it kind of slops around in the bowl when i see other people eat it.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I LOVE IT! I buy non-fat PLAIN greek yogurt. I eat it at least once a day.

Ways I eat it:

Add my own fresh or frozen fruit (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc.)
    Use instead of sour cream
    Use it in cooking (holds up to heat well)
    1 tablespoon of peanut butter and 1/2 cup of yogurt plus one pack of splenda or stevia.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Looooove the Chobani chocolate chunk. Add in a tbsp of peanut butter. Tastes like you are eating something bad for you, but it's oh so good!

Now that flavor I may have to try! I guess I will just try out a few more flavors, but so far, most of them tast so sour.
  • Sandy3313
    Sandy3313 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I didn't like greek yogurt either until now....I love light n fit yogurt then I saw they started making greek yogurt so I bought one and found out that this brand was pretty good though I think I would prefer it as a smoothie instead. so with losing weight comes a new life style of eating! Out with the OLD in with the NEW!
  • mrsgeneric
    mrsgeneric Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love the strawberry greek yogurt!!! And heres a tip if u are lactose and tolerant it has enough bactiral culture in it that u can eat it!!!! Im extreme lactose and tolerant and i put it to the test and it was fine for me!!
  • Oakley82
    Oakley82 Posts: 53
    Options
    I put the vanilla kind on top of a bowl of mixed fruit and eat that when I'm craving dessert. Sometimes I'll sprinkle a few dark chocolate chips on it too. Its definitely an acquired taste, but I love it now. I use the regular greek yogurt as sour cream or with a packet of ranch seasoning as a veggie dip. I used it to make egg salad last night. It was really good!
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    If not for a CostCo visit one day, I would say I agree with you 100%. They were giving samples of Chobani. Neither my wife nor I liked any of the other brands that we had tried. This one has been significantly better, plus I've taken to their suggested way of eating it. That is not to mix it, but scoop from the bottom, some yogurt, some fruit.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I liked it the first time I tried it. I buy Oikos and Chobani all of the time at the grocery store. The fact that it's healthy just means that I didn't stop eating it when I started MFP. I feel bad for anyone who is forcing themselves to eat something they don't like because it's good for them. Favorite flavors include the Café Latte and Toasted Coconut. I also like taking the cherry flavored one and chopping up a few Hershey's dark chocolate kisses and mixing them in on days when I have extra calories to eat back.
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Like most foods I find myself eating these days, I eat it for health and nutritional purposes not the taste.

This makes me sad.

Yah...how miserable to not enjoy what you eat...find healthy foods you love, dont eat what you dislike :(

I didn't say I didn't like the taste, I was just pointing out that taste is not the only factor that one should consider when deciding what to eat. Luckily I'm not a picky eater, and there are plenty of healthy foods I really like (including Greek yogurt).
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I've just started eating it myself since it has way more protein than regular yogurt. I have texture issues (can't do sour cream, cottage cheese, rice pudding, oatmeal) so I really thought I wouldn't be able to handle a thicker yogurt, but I have been pleasantly surprised so far! I like the Dannon Oikos since they're really creamy and did try Chobani apple cinnamon this week too, which was better than I expected it would be!
  • alikat2986
    alikat2986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like that it has way more protein than regular yogurt! That's the main difference. As far as taste, try every brand you can. I hate, HATE Stoneyfield Oikos....actually I don't like any of the Oikos ones. I like Chobani, Fage, Wallaby, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's brands. I don't like any of them with honey. I always add fruit (mangos are good) or I add the greek yogurt to a smoothie. If you still don't like the taste but want the benefits, I'd suggest adding it to a smoothie because the fruit/veggies will mask the taste.

P.S. I also like to use it in place of cream in recipes!

Don't try the greek gods kind it's chunky and disgusting!!!
  • Flagirlof3
    Options
    I didn't like it either but Publix had Chobani on sale so I tried a few different flavors and I really like this kind but now I get the plain and Honey and my own fruit. It's also good for making dips.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Def. an acquired taste. I love the extra thickness of it, compared to regular and can't really eat regular anymore without thinking of it like melted ice cream. Love Chobani plain because its less sugar, and usually add Kashi go lean and blueberries to give it flavor. After eating it one or two times I don't notice what I thought was weird taste at first.
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Oh I love it so much, I do the dannon light and fit fat free one, still high in cals and protein, but has around 8-9 grams of sugar vs oikos' 19 grams, too sweet for me.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Looooove the Chobani chocolate chunk. Add in a tbsp of peanut butter. Tastes like you are eating something bad for you, but it's oh so good!

I'm trying this!
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I love the Voskos brand, the honey almond one is soooo good.
  • joehendrickson
    Options
    I didn't like a lot of it but I'm forcing myself to eat it and I'm starting to like it. The Chobani Blueberry is so delicious!
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options

Now that flavor I may have to try! I guess I will just try out a few more flavors, but so far, most of them tast so sour.
    the best are defo the fage, with the added fruit section, i love the strawberry, i add some nuts or seeds, yum.Today i added a fig, mmmm nom nom. Not so keen by its :ohwell: self though
  • jayr281
    jayr281 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you're in the Dallas area...Three Happy Cows is the best I've ever had. It's not like typical Chobani greek yogurt but one that's more like cream cheese in consistency.