Starting 10000 steps a day to lose weight..

Options
I'm using a fitbit so if you are too add me so we can push each other to get to our goals. I'm 44 this year and am about 200 pounds and would love to get back to 160.

Add me as your fitbit friend also :-)

Bill

Replies

• LadyPippen
    Options
    no slacking!
  • dunge0n
    dunge0n Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    How are you planning to get the 10000 in?
  • spantz1
    spantz1 Posts: 17
    Options
    I do 4 walks a day, 2 are at least a mile (16min mile) and 1 is a 2 mile..

B-
  • unfeigned
    unfeigned Posts: 30
    Options
    Hey, yesterday I discovered a cool app "Moves" that basically tracks me throughout the day and what was very interesting for me to see is that today I did 11 200 steps in 5.6 miles! That's exactly 5 miles for 10 000 steps. And I'm 6'3'' and did 4.5 miles of very, very brisk walking.

Seeing this topic made me think what is actually necessary for 10 000 steps - how many normal speed miles. It seems a lot! But I would also like to do at least 10 000 a day. I was thinking of buying FitBit, but I'll will wait and see if I would really need it or are the current apps enough for me (I don't have 100$ extra to spend :bigsmile: )

Keep us informed about your progress :)
  • dlcarroll13
    dlcarroll13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have the Jawbone UP to track, but I just started 10,000 steps a day today as well!
  • dunge0n
    dunge0n Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    B - How do you get time for 4 walks a day! :| As is I disappear from work for an hour to go to the gym and then go home and work the extra hour from work. I have a desk job. On gym days I am getting to 7000 steps. On a treadmill it takes me 17minutes to do a mile.I am out of shape and can't run/jog to save my life. Plus I got rear ended a couple of years ago and have got bulging discs in my neck so no high impact exercises for me. I love my elliptical though. Easy on the knees neck etc.

Unfeigned - that sound about right. Also, look into fitbit zip. It's 60 bucks. I don't know all the features on that. Besides you can always get a plane old pedometer but there are apps in almost all smartphones which are pretty accurate.