calf tear

Options
I was on the treadmill today, did the 5 min warm up and started a quick walking pace for 5 min. Turn it up to a run, took about 4 steps and heard a POP from my calf. I immediately coulld not put any weight on my left leg at all and was in incredible pain. Has this happened to anyone else? I have been icing it, keeping it elevated and resting since it happened, but its not feeling any better.

Any advice would be appreciated :(

Replies

• thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Wow, this just happened to me last night!! I thought it was something worse, but I was told it's a muscle tear, which I got during a routine Zumba class. My health club, trainer, and today my doctor all told me the same thing- ICE, ibuprofen (to help with any inflammation and/or pain), elevation, and rest. Depends on how bad your tear is, but it needs to rest at least 7 days, much longer if more serious.

On a side note- a few years ago I tore a tendon in my other calf and had to hike 10 miles for help, and it was excruciating. I later found out I had an extra tendon in my calf which snapped. That was months of recovery :-(
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if it's really bad GO SEE A DOCTOR. Unfortunately, there's really not anything they can do (except CT scans, MRI's etc.), as it's not something typically helped with surgery, but it couldn't hurt to get it looked at by a professional. Take care!

one more thing- what helped me remain somewhat functional with the calf pain is keeping my calf wrapped for support, and believe it or not, wearing any shoes with at least a little heel were much easier than flat shoes...
  • vickimciveredwards
    vickimciveredwards Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info! I feel alot better now knowing it will eventually heal. Pretty damm scary tho!
  • CheriLMT
    CheriLMT Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would be a bad idea to go see a doctor at all...even if surgery isn't recommended he may send you to physical therapy