Cosmetic Surgery - Large Weight Loss

Options
2»

Replies

• sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Thank you Cari :)

Yes i felt the same way. At first i was worried about it but then i realized if it happens, it happens. Loose skin is better (looking and health wise) than the fat was, right?! Good luck, you are doing an amazing job!
  • mutleycakes
    mutleycakes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have lost 7 stone since last april and being an older bird i have loose skin on thighs tops of arms and the boobs.
    i would really like something done. I have been going to the gym 3 times weekly. it is the expense and the risk of anestheic that bothers me though
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I'll have lost almost 90 at goal and the girls will be redone for sure! Cant wait
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I missed this the other day just thought I would add my 2 cents.... There was no way I was going to live with the loose skin. I had severe bouts with cellulitis and skin rashes and would get skin tears when rolling over on it in bed. (Very pain full) I went with the Circumferential Body Lift and had 17 lbs. of loose skin removed from my torso. I could not be any more happy with the results. There are risks with any surgery but I picked a very good surgeon and my recovery went off without any major hitches. I had two spots that were open (tension spots) which my doctor had me apply rubbing alcohol to dry it out and hydrocortisone cream and within a week those spots healed right up... I had ab repair done (he cinched in my abs 6 1/2 inches) and to tell you the truth with the exception of the first couple weeks the ab repair was far more painful and took longer to heal.... I have a website (www.gettingfit4life.com) you can check out that has all my weightloss b4 and after..... It is a personal choice and one I had no problem making... Worth it for me... Do I have a bill to pay back? Sure do but it was worth every penny spent.... Best of Luck to You.......
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I missed this the other day just thought I would add my 2 cents.... There was no way I was going to live with the loose skin. I had severe bouts with cellulitis and skin rashes and would get skin tears when rolling over on it in bed. (Very pain full) I went with the Circumferential Body Lift and had 17 lbs. of loose skin removed from my torso. I could not be any more happy with the results. There are risks with any surgery but I picked a very good surgeon and my recovery went off without any major hitches. I had two spots that were open (tension spots) which my doctor had me apply rubbing alcohol to dry it out and hydrocortisone cream and within a week those spots healed right up... I had ab repair done (he cinched in my abs 6 1/2 inches) and to tell you the truth with the exception of the first couple weeks the ab repair was far more painful and took longer to heal.... I have a website (www.gettingfit4life.com) you can check out that has all my weightloss b4 and after..... It is a personal choice and one I had no problem making... Worth it for me... Do I have a bill to pay back? Sure do but it was worth every penny spent.... Best of Luck to You.......
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Amazing. . . . what character and fortitude!! I just went and checked our your journey and I am filled with awe!!! I did not get time to read all of your blogs (I am at work) but the photo journey says a lot! I can't wait to take the time to read further to see how you handled the ups and downs along the way.

While I only have about 50 lbs to take off, your story has really energized me. The fact that you made this decision and worked so hard for so long to attain it tells me what kind of person you are and I don't know many like you!

Thank you so much for the inspiration. :flowerforyou:
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've lost 228 pounds. I had loose skin that hung halfway down my thighs. I had it removed in April, and other then losing the weight, it's the best decision I ever made. 7 pounds of skin removed that was no chance in hell was ever going to tighten up on it's own!

And, just as an FYI, I did everything "right". I lost weight slowly, drank a ton of water, mosturized and lotioned daily and did a ton of exercise.

Jen

jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com
  • dusty_712001
    dusty_712001 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    A little more than 15 years ago, I lost over 200 pounds. I had a lot of loose skin. I kept the weight off for years without any hint that my skin would improve. I got an estimate of approximately 15K for skin removal surgery. At the time, I had no hope of taking that option. Over time, I became more and more depressed. Between my skin issues and a job I hated, I began (unconsciously) using food as a coping mechanism. I had put over 100 pounds back on before I realized what was going on. By that time, I was in a state that I could not bring myself to care. As of last year, I had gained more than I had originally lost.

About a year ago, my mental state improved. Can't point to a specific reason. Medications did not help much and I ended up not taking any (I am not recommending this for others). I reached a point (again) where I knew I was going to change or I was going to die. Since June 11, 2012 I have lost 144 pounds. I have made a decision to get the skin removal surgery before anything else when I start working again (I was so heavy employers would not hire me, especially since there were so many people looking for work in the bad economy). I graduate from college next term. I am in good enough shape now that if I cannot find something in my field, there is no longer any physical reason for factories, retail, or restaurants not to hire me. So before buying a new vehicle, house, vacation, appliances (you get the point), I am getting the skin removal surgery. I have about 100 to 120 more pounds I want to lose. I will be saving up for the day I reach my goal.

In the end it is each persons decision. If it becomes obvious a person's skin is not going to rebound after weight loss, they have to make a decision if they are content looking good in cloths or if they also want to look good naked. I know it is a bad thing, but I am not losing this for my health. I am not doing all this to end up not being able to take my shirt off at the beach, or a hundred other little things others who haven't had a weight problem don't give a thought about.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I definitley have some loose skin. Would i get surgery for it? No. Not worth the money or risk to me. I'll share a picture in a bikini so you can see the loose skin. There is a bit on my upper thighs and then my stomach. But i also had 2 kids back to back so some of that is from them. Be nice people, its not great.

2ABB6E21-0FD8-4563-B51A-6432F3372309-1405-000000E25AC3D866_zpsc04d7c5b.jpg

Lady, if I looked as good as you do I would be so busy grinning from ear to ear people would think I was on drugs! I am not so lucky. My overlap/apron runs from the side of my hip to the side of my other hip. At its widest point it's approximately 10" in width. I've had it for over 10 years (this current weight loss is peanuts compared to the one back then - I started at 284 that time).

After 10 years there was no reduction. If I could find my way to think about spending that much money on just me, surgery would be the only way to look normal.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Carmen, thank you from the bottom of my heart. That meant a lot.

I totally understand why some would elect to get it. I definitely do. Thankfully I have been sort of lucky in that mine hasn't been too bad. I started at 277 & definitely thought it would be worse. But yes, I 100% understand why some choose to get it.