For Ladies ONLY!! (this is for your own sake, men!)

Options

Replies

• lindafjohnson
    Options
    I am fortunate as I have gone through menopause and no longer have that issue :-) but I do remember them well. I was always starving the wk before and wasn't hungry the wk of my period. I could eat myself out of my house that wk before and I always knew that time was coming. I wasn't ever on a weight loss or exercise regime then so the only words of wisdom I can offer now would be.....1. don't keep any bad foods in your home so u wont have that temptation 2. if u feel u HAVE to have sweet and salty.. try to get the ones that is the most healthy (like fat free chips ,fat free ice cream etc.) then as least when u pig out the calories wont be as bad. 3. Get dark chocolate.. at least its better for u.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I've got almost 2 awesome weeks (7 lbs lost) on MFP in and today is my hormonal day. I'm craving crap and I can't help it. I did my usual workout today and a little extra and all it did was leave me drained of energy, aching in my back and HUNGRY. It sucks to have complete control for the entire month and then lose it for two days or so. I'm still trying to figure out what to do next month because this "month" was a fail for me. I guess I have no advice to offer BUT you are not alone and when I figure it out, I'll let you know. ;)

Try to remember that two days will not destroy your entire month.
  • Lucia120382
    Lucia120382 Posts: 427
    Options
    Okay, So I don't know about you but I personally have a little issue with PMS... I get moody all the usual symptoms and usually during this time period I eat super fatty and salt food and super sweet food. I crave it like a crazy pregnant woman.

Anyway, the point of this thread is how does your red tide affect you and your journey to super sexy health. What do you crave? Do you work out? What do you do to circumvent the effects of PMS in reference to your diet & exercise? What would you do to your period if it could manifest itself into a physical being?

I personally would punch him in the face repeatedly and rub it's face in the dirt, but that's just me...

OMG I just feel like you were expressing my feelings right now. I even hate when he wants to touch me and the food, just awful. I would eat an elephant. with cream and cherry on top while snacking some crisps
  • VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I am incredibly blessed in that I had a uterine ablation (essentially burning the endometrial lining of the uterus) and I haven't had a period in 10 years. It's been the best ten years of my life: no mood swings, no bloating, no cramps, and no threats of murdering the hubby. I'm 50 now and I'll probably hit menopause soon, but till then, I'll continue to thank God Aunt Flo is no longer a guest in my panties. Having said all that, I feel horrible for the rest of my menstrual sisters.
  • fat2skinnyanne
    Options
    Likely the whole reason I came in here is because it said Ladies Only. That being said we do a lot of studying about the hormones of PMS and Menstrual Cycles in almost all of my fitness/medical classes.

Sad fact is there is not much you can do about it. Your body is preparing to have a baby and the hormones tell you to not only pack in food, but it also makes your emotions out of whack. While I have no idea what it is like it is 100% unfair to women and I do sympathize. So yes you will gain weight even if your diet is spot on... sorry :( but it will also come flying off once your all done. If I was a woman I wouldn't weigh myself for about 2 weeks in that time frame.

Excellent sound advice! Champion!! :smile:
  • wildbutterfly777
    wildbutterfly777 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've got almost 2 awesome weeks (7 lbs lost) on MFP in and today is my hormonal day. I'm craving crap and I can't help it. I did my usual workout today and a little extra and all it did was leave me drained of energy, aching in my back and HUNGRY. It sucks to have complete control for the entire month and then lose it for two days or so. I'm still trying to figure out what to do next month because this "month" was a fail for me. I guess I have no advice to offer BUT you are not alone and when I figure it out, I'll let you know. ;)

Try to remember that two days will not destroy your entire month.

Thank you! I'll try to remember that when I weigh in on Thursday. At least my hormonal day happens on Friday and I weigh in on Thursday. ;) I have at least 5 days to make up for it!
  • jenapurr
    jenapurr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lmfaoooooooo
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I don't see why exercise wouldn't help with PMS symptoms, it gives you a high (though temporarily, but still!).
    As for cravings, I'm a typical girl that wants chocolate during this very special time. I switched to dark chocolate and keep it at a few squares. There's tons of ways to make healthy alternatives for the junky things we normally crave.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    HAI GUYZ WUTZ GOIN ON IN HJHERE?!?!11111oneoneone
  • Kmanouchehri90
    Kmanouchehri90 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I absolutely work out, it helps a lot! You just have to fight the urge to be lazy and TRY to replace the cravings with a healthier version. It is okay to indulge sometimes though!
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I am an emotionless robot, thus I do not PMS.

Any of my former roommates can back me up on this.

i dont ither at least o dont think i can be a ***** at any time of the month so it dosnt bother me and i have never had a cramp in my life
  • aditifoodie
    aditifoodie Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I absolutely work out, it helps a lot! You just have to fight the urge to be lazy and TRY to replace the cravings with a healthier version. It is okay to indulge sometimes though!

This and if manifested itself into a physical being..i would beat the **** outta him and make him bleed too...(i am sure it will be a guy)
  • Shonja
    Shonja Posts: 50
    Options
    My TOM is pure HE double hockey sticks (H**L):mad:. I start spotting a week ahead, so I always know when its coming. Then the cravings and mood swings start. I crave EVERYTHING!!!!! It can be sugar in the morning and salt in the evening. I even sometimes crave water:drinker: , it is absolutely ridiculous. And can I talk about the mood swings. I am happy one minute, sad the next, I cry watching cartoons for goodness sake:sad: . My TOM is so bad that my husband and son keep track just as well as I do. We even have a code for when I cannot explain why I am so cranky. I tell them "I'm feeling some kind of way," and they know to leave me alone and to take nothing I may say personally. How do I get over the craving....DRUGS! Serious, prescription, put me to sleep, kinda drugs because my cramps are soooooo bad that I often am barely able to walk:sick: . I have to crawl just to use the bathroom. All I can say is Thank God for percocet, oxycodone and hydrocodone :bigsmile: because NOTHING over the counter works at all. They barely help with the pain, but I'm so loopy and sleepy I could care less:yawn: . I could go on, but I imagine you get the drift.

If my TOM was standing in front of me I would tie it down, and S L O W L Y hack it into peices with a chain saw because this is how I feel every month. DIE SLOW B***H!!!!!!:explode:

Ok, I feel better now!
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I tend to lead a very natural happy life with normal everyday problems but as soon as I get to the week BEFORE my period I start to get mad at EVERYTHING, EVERYONE and I hate the world. As soon as I begin to feel those feelings I know what it is and I am able to control them. NOW. NOW I know when it starts and how to control it. I drag my butt to the gym. It if became real I would smother it no problem.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I just posted the same question yesterday. My Aunt Flo is in town right now -_- Yesterday was a heavy, uncomfortable icky day.. I still went to the gym, got on the treadmill and jogged/ walked. I didn't jog nearly as much as I would have liked. Today wasn't as awful.. and I went and jogged/ ran more than I usually do =) If it had been any worse yesterday I would have stayed home with a heating pad! I was just trying to push myself because I am a BIG baby about my TOM.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My TOM is pure HE double hockey sticks (H**L):mad:. I start spotting a week ahead, so I always know when its coming. Then the cravings and mood swings start. I crave EVERYTHING!!!!! It can be sugar in the morning and salt in the evening. I even sometimes crave water:drinker: , it is absolutely ridiculous. And can I talk about the mood swings. I am happy one minute, sad the next, I cry watching cartoons for goodness sake:sad: . My TOM is so bad that my husband and son keep track just as well as I do. We even have a code for when I cannot explain why I am so cranky. I tell them "I'm feeling some kind of way," and they know to leave me alone and to take nothing I may say personally. How do I get over the craving....DRUGS! Serious, prescription, put me to sleep, kinda drugs because my cramps are soooooo bad that I often am barely able to walk:sick: . I have to crawl just to use the bathroom. All I can say is Thank God for percocet, oxycodone and hydrocodone :bigsmile: because NOTHING over the counter works at all. They barely help with the pain, but I'm so loopy and sleepy I could care less:yawn: . I could go on, but I imagine you get the drift.

If my TOM was standing in front of me I would tie it down, and S L O W L Y hack it into peices with a chain saw because this is how I feel every month. DIE SLOW B***H!!!!!!:explode:

Ok, I feel better now!

:noway: Good God! My aunt is the EXACT same way.. she is very overweight.. but she also has found that she has PCOS! If it is that bad... please get checked out!
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    On Tuesday I was telling my mom how by not letting herself eat what she wants, she sets herself up for failure. And i told her how she needs to anchor her body's reactions to food and remember them in making her choices. So i ate two slices of cheescake on sunday and felt so sick, that i havent been wanting anymore. But then, during that conversation, i kept thinking I NEED CHEESECAKE. ONce the thought entered my mind, i couldnt get it out. So i had some cheesecake and a few spoonfuls of ice cream to boot. 30 minutes later, my period started :laugh:

If my cycle could manifest itself as a human being, i would gut him and choke him with his own entrails. (Too graphic? I blame Game of THrones for the inspiration)
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I crave carbs and sugar and eat them like a wild animal when I'm PMSing. Ugh. I do exercise, though. It really makes me feel a lot better and like I don't want to punch everyone in the face.

As a side, but related, note, fellow women, I've been wondering this for a long time, please don't slap me for this, it's purely curosity on my part. How come most women get really upset if someone asks them "is it that time of the month?" if it really IS that time of the month, and they ARE crabby because of it? If it's my TOM and my husband mentions it, HELL YES, DEAR HUSBAND, IT IS MY TIME OF THE MONTH, wanna make somethin of it? Now, please, be a dear and go buy me a cake, will you? I own it man, yes I do!! I'm a woman and proud of it! :drinker:

Oh, and if my TOM manifested itself as a human being, I'd feed it all the fattening foods until it got too fat to move. Or I'd push it in front of a bus. Ohh, or a train. That be cool.
  • I3ernadette
    I3ernadette Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i always cut way back on the cardio - walking instead of running or going for half the time - and do a lot of stretching (by which i mean, two dynamic stretch warm-ups and two cool downs), because it's never just my innards that get all crampy. then i gain a bajillion pounds of water weight and, maybe five days after the hurtin's done, i have a "holy crap" moment when i'm suddenly five pounds lighter.
  • babyskunkles
    babyskunkles Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I never knew how bad it was prior to MFP. My first three weeks on here were great, then I got PMS and went wacky. The thing I noticed the most was the great increase in carbs in my diet - Sweets, Bread Products, etc. I decided that during those times I will ignore the balance of carbs/fats/protein and just try to stay in my calorie range. I don't exercise, I just don't feel like it then. After that, I just go back to doing things the way I did before.