Um is it just me?

Options
Or is there a lot of hostility in the topics lately? Within 5 minutes of reading the recent posts, I was disgusted. I love that this is a place to learn and share knowledge, along with offering support for one another. If you have an opinion, by all means, share it. But don't become so obstinate and ignorant as to become condescending to other members. If something works for you, share it, but realize it may not be the same for everyone. This is not aimed at just one topic, it's aimed at a few.

If I were a new member today, I would be discouraged from sharing an opinion or information. If you see an incorrect fact, correct it, but please be respectful and remember to think before you speak. MFP is some peoples only place to come for support.

Just my opinion

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Amen! What works for me isn't going to work for others.
  • vinjama
    vinjama Posts: 52
    Options
    Yes, there are a lot of people with ego who have the convenience of hiding anonymously behind their keyboard. I feel sorry for those folks who are so convicted in their point of view that they have to go on the offensive whenever someone disagrees with them. I know these people have deep issues and rabid demons to deal with so must of the time you just have to stay out of the debate and laugh at them

But thats the internet.

Just for the record, It's much much worse on any other community forum
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I'm feelin' ya ... I've run into this a couple times, but I just brush it off. It's not my problem nor my burden if someone else has a 'tude. :wink:
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    But thats the internet.

Just for the record, It's much much worse on any other community forum

Ain't that the truth!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Although I am fairly new here, I'm not new to internet message boards. People who frequent them are generally passionate about the subject matter so it is quite common for debates to tail spin off. It happens.....that's just how it is.
    Despite the recent debate this place is quite mild.
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    Options
    Agreed - it's just the internet, it happens everywhere. Everyone's so brave from the safety of their living rooms!

Don't let any of it bother you, just take the information and conversations that are positive for you and leave the negative BS to the haters. I'm sure half of them are trolling anyway just to get a response.
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing today! I think there's just alot of people on here that are very knowledgeable about nutrition and fitness and they tend to take a difference of opinion as more of an insult to their own intelligence.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Agreed - it's just the internet, it happens everywhere. Everyone's so brave from the safety of their living rooms!

Don't let any of it bother you, just take the information and conversations that are positive for you and leave the negative BS to the haters. I'm sure half of them are trolling anyway just to get a response.

Ditto... people like to stir the pot on the internet (and sometimes in person).... :huh:
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    rybo:
    Although I am fairly new here, I'm not new to internet message boards.

Too true.
    cheers!
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was tempted to post something very similar to this the other day, but didn't want to deal with the trolls I was certain it would attract! I'm glad to see that your post hasn't, because I think it's good that we occasionally remind ourselves that just because we're not face to face doesn't mean manners go out the window.

I frequent a lot of message boards and while I agree that this one is on the mild side, it can still be very upsetting to have to weed through a bunch of hostile responses to get to the information I'm looking for. I can only speak for myself, but when I'm on here looking for support and advice, it's a lot harder to ignore the trolls because of where I am emotionally in this battle. I've actually avoid posting topics when I was really in need of some insight or posting responses where I truly felt I could have helped because of that!

Everyone is entitled to express their opinions, I just don't understand why there are some who confuse opinion with fact, or who are so sensitive about their opinions that they see bashing in every post and feel compelled to lash out. Which inevitably turns into a troll-feeding frenzy.

Here's hoping it's just a temporary thing and folks will get back to being supportive very soon! :ohwell:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing today! I think there's just alot of people on here that are very knowledgeable about nutrition and fitness and they tend to take a difference of opinion as more of an insult to their own intelligence.

No. I find the people with the ego and who get defensive are the ones who THINK they are knowledgeable and they get defensive because they don't want to admit they're wrong. I think we all know who exactly we're talking about here.

To the OP: Please don't get discouraged and leave the forums. We have thousands of members here and if you'll just pick a handful with similar goals or who motivate you or who have rockin' bods that you envy, you can learn so much and just poke into the threads you see them starting or commenting on. I'm sorry you've been turned off to some of the more recent drama that's occuring. I promise there are so many great people here that just want to help others or share the excitement they're experiencing from their own journey! Good luck on yours.
  • Sierrasmommy
    Options
    Agreed!!! I had to address someone on one of my posts yesterday. SHe actually messaged me this morning to talk alittle more out the side of her head. I tol dher that I welcome her posts if she is willing to reread what she writes before she hits submit, but if she does not want to then please do not post on any of my personal posts, or I will block you.

I feel that it is sad and demeaning, not only to the person one is talking to, but to your own charactor when you speak down to another person. This site is suppose to be encouraging to those who use it! I think that the person who said that people can hide behind their keyboards is right because I could never be that cold to someone in face to face reality.
    Awesome post! lol
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that too - a lot of judgement/criticism/bashing of other people - be it how much people are eating, what they're eating, or what the should be eating. It doesn't seem like the friendly community it actually is.

I think it'll taper off. I think most online groups go through this.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    This is very true. I can appreciate how people become frustrated when they see things they don't agree with. I'm a trained, experienced dietitian and a lot of the time I do think I am rightwhen it comes to dietary advice (I'm not sure there is anything wrong with that). But if someone were to present information in a way that truly made me question what I knew then I would go and do the research to find out. Similarly, I would never say 'well, I'm a dietitian so I'm right' but rather present information in what is hopefully and easy to understand but evidence supported way and hope that the people really wanting the answers to the questions being asked (which aren't always the same people as those getting nasty) are able to draw some good knowledge from the thread as a whole.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Or is there a lot of hostility in the topics lately?

There is not!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

j/k :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    You guys are all losers and don't know what you are talking about - there is no negativity here at all! :laugh:

LOL - Just joking :) I don't think anyone means to be hostile really (well I hope they don't! we're all in the same boat to different degrees - it's why we're here!) but it's easy to say anything online unfiltered. And you know how people like to be right :)
  • AkAmber
    AkAmber Posts: 40
    Options

Here, here!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    :noway: :noway: :noway:

Wow-- just-- wow.
  • EightDMB
    EightDMB Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It is much, much worse on other forums. On some of the WW forums, the members seem to be looking for a fight to pick and a victim to bully. I haven't noticed it here really. Everyone seems so friendly and supportive. I also like that this site has a lot of non-US members on it (I'm in the US, but it's cool to see how others are doing).