Finally eating right & getting LESS healthy? Help me out.

Options
So I have kind of been on a health kick since September. But I think I am doing something wrong and welcome your input.

I have been working out nearly every day and have lost nearly 50 pounds. I now have a BMI right around 20 and my cardiovascular health is much improved, judging by the improvement in how fast I can go 5 miles, for example.

I have also improved my diet. I have eliminated most processed food and crap. I try to eat a lot more fruits and veggies, little red meat or cheese, etc.

But my fingernails and hair seem lots less healthy. I'm losing a lot of hair and getting ridges on my nails.

Also (TMI) I am regularly constipated, even though I often eat fiber-rich cereal for dessert and get lots of broccoli, etc. That wasn't a problem before.

I have noticed that my fat intake is generally 20-30 grams less per day than my target. (That's just generally how much fat I have consumed when I reach my calorie target.)

So maybe the problem is too little fat? Or something else I am now missing that I managed to get in my more unhealthy diet?

Anyone have any suggestions? I feel like I should have healthier skin, hair, and nails than ever before. My intestines should be functioning with machine-like precision. What's up?

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you eat a day?
  • Cmac4500
    Cmac4500 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I generally eat 1200 to 1800 calories a day, depending on how much I exercise.

Most days, I end up eating about 1600 calories and doing an hour of cardio exercise (burning roughly 600 calories, I'm guessing).
  • youros
    youros Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was experiencing very similar symptoms so i got my blood checked and it turns out I am very badly anemic. I have been on iron supplements for the past two weeks but am not allowed to work out for another two :(

Also due to living in such a polluted city everyone in my family became vitamin D deficient as well due to lack of sun exposure.

I would suggest getting blood tested to see if your problems can be fixed with simple vitamins or if it is something more serious.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you could have a vitamin deficiency, only way to tell is to get blood test. Hair does need good fats to stay healthy, particularly omega-3's. Couldn't hurt to up your fat intake and see if things improve.
  • MichaelBrewer2634
    MichaelBrewer2634 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Time to get to the doctor.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Definitely sounds like a deficiency to me. Bloodwork time.
  • SleepyBunny17
    Options
    Sounds like it could be your thyroid or anemia (iron or b12). Hypothyroidism will cos these things especially the constipation. Look at the website Stop the Thyroid Madness. Good luck :)
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    see your doctor. You may need your thyroid checked. My hair was falling out nails breaking messed up cycle they tested me for everything including thyroid that was there first suspicion actually turned out I am going thru premature Menopause. I started taking biotine for my hair and magnesium for the nails and bones and it has helped tons.
  • amata08
    amata08 Posts: 18
    Options
    Just putting this out there, I was anemic for a while and iron supplements caused me to get constipated more often. But definitely go get your blood checked out! Being deficient of anything is never any fun! (I'm also very vitamin d deficient)
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I was not able to view your diary because it is locked, but I was wondering about your protein intake. I had a similar problem when I first started and before I got on MFP because I did not realize how much more protein I needed with the amount of exercise I was getting. I upped my protein to the macro listed and also started taking more vitamin B which is also needed for hair growth. I have seen a tremendous change and have a lot of new hair growth returning. A doctor can tell from a blood test though what vitamins you are lacking.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary, you're asking questions that can't even begin to be answered without at least analyzing your diet. The first red flag to me was that you eat little red meat. I'm going to guess iron deficiency and/or protein/fat deficiency as well just from that one clue. Constipation...fiber can help but you gotta drink a lot of water to counteract it. A LOT of water. I try to get 14 cups minimum a day and it helps a lot, especially with my high protein and fiber intake.
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I generally eat 1200 to 1800 calories a day, depending on how much I exercise.

Most days, I end up eating about 1600 calories and doing an hour of cardio exercise (burning roughly 600 calories, I'm guessing).

Is 1600 your net?
  • Imaginary1
    Options
    First off, congrats on the weight loss.

Second, yes you really need to visit your doctor and get some bloodwork done. Sounds like perhaps a thyroid or vitamin deficiency. Also, consider increasing healthy fats and omega oils into your diet. That may help as well.