newbie.. need help and guidence

Options
Okay I have been in and outta shape most of very adult life and the older I get the harder it is for me. I struggle with falling into routine bc I either tire easily or hurt so much from a prior workout or the newest is puking when my heart rate starts to increase. I'm far from over exertion.

My question...I have a treadmill and an elliptical plus many dvds. What's better? How do you start and build from. Clearly I can't go full on from the get go but want to eventually get there. I have heard of the couch to 5k... in addition..when young I ran track but did sprints..never distance. Ideally I would love to get to be a "jogger" but I fear it will never happen. Help please! I'd love to be in shape and comfortable in my body by the time I'm 40 but sooner would be great. I'm 38 now and want so much to be active yet can't make myself ... all the time. Depression does play a factor too... I wanna feel good about myself again!

Replies

• ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    If you struggle with getting into a routine maybe you are trying the wrong routine. I found that I had to learn to like exercise. Exercising too much or too long when you don't enjoy it most likely causes you to eventually not do it at all. I would try walking on the treadmill or outside for 30 min 1-2 times a day. The fact that you're moving more that you used to on a consistent basis will help you lose weight. It takes at least 20 days to make a habit. If you want to become a jogger I heard alternating jog/walk for 1 min each helps. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who know about it. I'm going to start jogging also. I want to run a 5k. Don't forget to think about how you eat. Don't starve and choose a diet you can live with forever, not one you live with for a couple weeks. Friend me if you want.
  • cocolicious2
    cocolicious2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Mix up your routine to keep it fun. For example, Mon-Wed-Fri try doing your DVD's and Tues-Thur use your treadmill or elliptical and sat try something new outside like jumping rope, skating, basket ball, hiking, walk the dog, hoola hoop, etc and Sunday a rest day. Somthing like that and keep changing it. If you dont want to go all out and get to sore just start off slow. I recently started trying to add yoga to my routine, which I hate because I am not flexible and I just find it more boring than other workouts, but I also think flexibility is important and I need it so I started out doing the first 10 min of a 30 min yoga DVD and the next week I did 15 min and the 3rd week 20 min and so on until I did the whole 30 min dvd. It was a lot less painful for me that way too. So you could do something like that with your dvds. Just keep moving and add a little bit at a time and it all gets easier. Hope this helps :)

Coco
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter which is better. Mix it up and do all of the above. Do whichever you like. Do a strength training program. Do something. Do anything.

Don't feel bad that you can't do much right now. We all started from zero. The only difference between me and you is that I kept going. I did as much as I could that same day and then showed up the next day. And the day after that.

Keep showing up and I promise you a year from now you will make yourself prouder than you can imagine.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    DavPul is right. You really can't go wrong.

If your goal is couch 25k and be a runner, ditch the elliptical, it will just get you better at elipticalling, the treadmill will get you better at running.

Sign up now for a 5k that is more than 10 weeks away. c25k is 9 weeks. Count on at least doing one or two weeks over again. If you have that 5k coming, you have something tangible to keep you motivated.
  • Iluvmy3kidz
    Options
    Thanks all! I appreciate the support!