parents of teenagers - i need you! (not weight related)

Options
2»

Replies

• FITBY30
    FITBY30 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i have a 14 year old daughter, we are very close and i will talk to her about anything she wants to talk about so i think the best advice on here has been to talk to your son, tell him how uncomfortable you feel. i opened a facebook for my daughter last month, attached it to my email and i made up her password so she knows i have full access-a couple of times now i have mentioned to her things i didnt like that were being messaged or a group she was a part of, she never got mad or questioned it she just handled it. maybe you should remind your son that it not just his jealous guy friends at school seeing this, but his family too. Speaking of, kids will try to imitate what they think is an "adult relationship" from what they see their parents doing-fighting they will fight, being affectionate, they will be affectionate etc. them being affectionate could be a good sign that he is feeling cared for-which really isnt so bad as long as he has boundaries at 14. My daughter hasnt had her first boyfriend yet, you are really takin one for the team on this one, but we have had many talks about it coming and taking it slow and not being pressured yadda yadda-im sure its a whole different conversation for boys, but the foundation remains, you are the parent he is the child and you should talk about your concerns so he can show you he still respects you and that you respect him growing up.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent either. but can understand teens pretty well:
    Also: I am a former cutter. Don't judge the girl based on her cutting history, it's not something you should meddle in. I'm a perfectly nice, respectful woman, so just because she's a cutter doesn't make her some emo freak. (I'm editing again to say if you notice your SON starts to cut, you need to be more involved and possibly get her help. If nothing else, get him help)

It's understandable to be concerned as a parent about your teen getting involved with things too fast. 14 IS young(But not outrageous), but here's my best advice : Equip him with the tools he needs, and let him make his choice.
    Kids post pictures of them kissing on facebook all the time, and if it's not too raunchy, it's okay. If it looks as though they're eating each other's faces, you should warn him not to post that type of material as future employers will see it. I do agree it's pointless and more of a "look at us, we're soo cute" thing for most teens. That's something you should be sure to keep private.I'd say set your foot down on the picture thing if you're really upset by it.

Now, as for the actual relationship: I think you should let it be. They're 14. They'll probably break up in a week, honestly. I don't think she's "too advanced" for your son (I know EVERY parent feels this way about their child's first boyfriend/girlfriend, so take a breath). I'm sure he would rebel if you tried to be too strict. Kids don't want to be bossed around, just as you don't want to be. So, instead of demanding this relationship end, try talking to your son about your concerns. (this means.. THAT dreaded talk..)
    And tell him you are there to answer his questions and need him to be open with you about where the relationship is headed if he is to continue. Try not to force your opinions on him. Explain the dangers that come of unprotected activity, (emotionally and physically) and have him really understand what's going on in your head.

As for what you said about the girl and the possible shock value ; I don't think so. Cutters don't like bragging about it, if they're serious. You should actually be glad she's telling your son up front, because this kind of thing kept secret could damage a relationship more than it being out in the open. Don't judge a book by it's cover.

Anyway, I hope you take this advice. In this day and age, it's nearly impossible to stop your child from doing what they want. Really, it was no different a long time ago either. If you forbid them to be together, they will probably continue seeing each other in secret, which could be dangerous and have even worse consequences than allowing them to be together. (like meeting in a dark alley because it's the only place they can see each other :noway: )

Prepare him for what might come, have him know how to react, do not overly invade his privacy, and do not remove yourself completely.

Edited to say that very few teenagers are ever in "real" relationships or end up being "really" in love. Let it run it's course. He is growing up, and although people never want to see their children make mistakes or get hurt, it's actually better for them. In the end, he'll thank you for allowing him to branch out and grow as an individual.
    Best of luck!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I think it must be an American thing to think you can prevent your kids from having boyfriends/girlfriends if you're not with them 24/7. My mum was worried because I didn't have a boyfriend when I was 12 or so. As for kissing, I really don't see the big deal. Nudity is different. It may be a good idea to have a talk about the possible legal implications of sending or receiving indecent images of a minor NOW before anything like that happens. We had a child protection talk recently where they explained that in the UK police are visiting people's homes to get computers that have been used for viewing such illegal images. These are the kind of things that can ruin lives, not pictures of kissing.

I have a lot of respect for my parents for always supporting us in our relationships. My brother had a rather unstable girlfriend from 12-15 or so (I now know he was sexually active from 13). One day, after he'd been on the phone for over an hour, he burst into tears. She was threatening to kill herself. My parents drove straight to her house (where her parents were, but had noticed nothing) to help. She was fine, and they stayed together. My parents tutored her in maths and English when she needed it and never tried to stop my brother. Did it do him any harm? No. He is one of the kindest, most compassionate people I know. I'd say, personally, that I'd want to be there for my kids like a safety net, for when things don't work out well, not to prevent them from testing their wings or falling sometimes.
  • Jen800
    Options
    disclaimer: I'm not a parent of a teenager but I'm close enough to my teenage years to offer advice from the other side

-kissing pictures are normal. I hate them too and didn't post them often.. but they're totally normal.
    -don't tell him you don't like his gf. It'll probably just irritate him and if she's really not right for him he'll see and let her go on his own
    -you can't prevent anything from happening between them. You're much better off telling him to use protection than to not have sex.
    -as long as it's not dangerous... there are going to be bad influences, and he'll be fine!

again, I'm not a parent... but this is how my parents were. I know they couldn't have always been thrilled with the guys I brought home (college guys when I was in high school?! I would have flipped if I were them) but they were ALWAYS supportive. And that's the most important thing.

I also agree with this. I think you're so much more better off listening to this kind of advice instead of the advice from the 40-50 year olds. They don't understand how to work a teenager properly, and how to get them to do what you want (or at least compromise). The point is, kids will be kids. Children fall down and scrape their knees, but they survive in the end.
  • Jen800
    Options
    I think it must be an American thing to think you can prevent your kids from having boyfriends/girlfriends if you're not with them 24/7. My mum was worried because I didn't have a boyfriend when I was 12 or so. As for kissing, I really don't see the big deal. Nudity is different. It may be a good idea to have a talk about the possible legal implications of sending or receiving indecent images of a minor NOW before anything like that happens. We had a child protection talk recently where they explained that in the UK police are visiting people's homes to get computers that have been used for viewing such illegal images. These are the kind of things that can ruin lives, not pictures of kissing.

I have a lot of respect for my parents for always supporting us in our relationships. My brother had a rather unstable girlfriend from 12-15 or so (I now know he was sexually active from 13). One day, after he'd been on the phone for over an hour, he burst into tears. She was threatening to kill herself. My parents drove straight to her house (where her parents were, but had noticed nothing) to help. She was fine, and they stayed together. My parents tutored her in maths and English when she needed it and never tried to stop my brother. Did it do him any harm? No. He is one of the kindest, most compassionate people I know. I'd say, personally, that I'd want to be there for my kids like a safety net, for when things don't work out well, not to prevent them from testing their wings or falling sometimes.

This too. Don't be a brick wall, be a help and support to your child. If your child DID choose to have sex (oh, lord!) or something like that, at least if you were available to help him take the precautions. If you are not, he will do it anyway and have even worse things to worry about (like a pregnancy)
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Also: I am a former cutter. Don't judge the girl based on her cutting history, it's not something you should meddle in. I'm a perfectly nice, respectful woman, so just because she's a cutter doesn't make her some emo freak.

As for what you said about the girl and the possible shock value ; I don't think so. Cutters don't like bragging about it, if they're serious. You should actually be glad she's telling your son up front, because this kind of thing kept secret could damage a relationship more than it being out in the open. Don't judge a book by it's cover.

i don't mean to judge, i'm concerned.
    concerned for her, concerned for him.
    this could be a serious issue.

about the shock value...
    i meant that it's possible that she doesn't cut herself and that she just said it to get a reaction.
    i'm sure if she really cuts herself, she wouldn't tell him to shock him.

i think she had a difficult life in some ways, from what i hear.
    i hope she's ok.
    my boyfriend was saying that maybe she will find comfort in my son, and us.
    maybe we can help her in some way.
    that would be nice, but i don't expect it.

thanks again for all your great responses.
    i'm still bothered, but feeling better thanks to you guys!
  • Jen800
    Options
    Also: I am a former cutter. Don't judge the girl based on her cutting history, it's not something you should meddle in. I'm a perfectly nice, respectful woman, so just because she's a cutter doesn't make her some emo freak.

i don't mean to judge, i'm concerned.
    concerned for her, concerned for him.
    this could be a serious issue.

about the shock value...
    i meant that it's possible that she doesn't cut herself and that she just said it to get a reaction.
    i'm sure if she really cuts herself, she wouldn't tell him to shock him.

i think she had a difficult life in some ways, from what i hear.
    i hope she's ok.
    my boyfriend was saying that maybe she will find comfort in my son, and us.
    maybe we can help her in some way.
    that would be nice, but i don't expect it.

thanks again for all your great responses.
    i'm still bothered, but feeling better thanks to you guys!

That's the spirit! Congratulations as well for actually taking the time to find other people's opinions instead of just resorting to your knee-jerk reaction. I think you and your son will do just fine :) It's normal to be concerned! Just don't let your concern turn to unmanageable stress. I'd feel the same way if I had a child who began dating someone with cutting issues, even though I understand them myself. Thank you for being someone who wants to help! :) good luck :flowerforyou:
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have raised 2 teenagers (1 boy, 1 girl) and am currently raising a 14 year old girl. I know the fear you feel.

The best advice I can give is to keep the lines of communication open with your son. That doesn't mean you have to agree with his choices, but he needs to know that you trust him and believe in him. My son met his girlfriend (now his wife of 2 years--they married at 20, no kids, they're in love) when he was 16. She was a nice girl, but I was still uncomfortable with it. I tried to make sure he knew I trusted him to be smart about things and that he could come to me with any questions, and Lord help me, he took this to heart. He asked a LOT of them. Made me squirm a bit, for sure. lol

One thing I did was to build a relationship with the girl on my own. I got to know her, gave her the same respect I gave my son and she actually sought out my advice more than a few times and even followed it. And I have to say, I love her like a daughter. She adores my son, so what more could I ask?

My current 14 year old has a boyfriend. We have strict rules about posting pics online and she knows this. I don't allow boyfriend pics online. We've had her boyfriend over several times. He's a nice kid. She cannot date, but she can have him over as long as we're home. And I always am. ;)

I'd definitely keep a close eye on the relationship. I'm not a hands-off parent. I have followed my kids when I thought they were getting into trouble and I won't apologize. My grown son has thanked me for it. Knowing I was looking over his shoulder made him think twice about doing a couple of iffy things. But knowing we put our faith in his good decisions when we weren't watching is what I believe really what made him think twice. He didn't want to let his father and me down.

As for the cutting, I was a self destructive teen. Had some horrible habits. I met my husband when I was 15. His mother welcomed me into her home--even made me lunch every day when I was in high school. I loved her and it became very important to me not to disappoint her. Married my guy when I was 18 (he was 19--again, no kids then, just in love). This June it will be 24 years. We have a great marriage. He's my best friend and I'm his. Try not to judge her too harshly. 14 is a tough age. I would call it my worst age. She may turn out to be a great kid.
    Best to you from a mom who understands :)
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    about the girl...
    i read a message she sent him when they first started talking.
    she told him that she cuts herself.
    i don't know if it's true or if she said it for shock value.
    but that message always sits with me
    i don't want him to know i read it, but i have told him that based on things he told me, i'm unsure of what to think of her.
    he knows i'm concerned and leary, he just doesn't fully know why.

Admit that you snooped. Cutting is a serious emotional problem and the younger a person is when they receive help for it, the more chance they have of recovering from it. So admit you snooped and perhaps tell her parents so that she can get help :) Or even reach out to her yourself... and that way you'll get to know her, too.

As for kissing.. 14 is a pretty normal age for that. That's when everyone is starting to figure out who they are and be comfortable with themselves. It doesn't always lead to bigger things like sex, despite what most people think :)

I'm only 20 but my parents always let me make my own choices. If I did something they didn't approve of, they didn't stop me; they let me do it and then were there for me when something went wrong. People can't grow and mature properly if they're coddled rather than going out and learning from mistakes.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent, but as long as you have a good relationship with your son you shouldn't worry about what things he might do. By good relationship I mean him being able to talk to you, having trust, and share some sort of common ground. Prior to my first relationship and being sexually active my dad had a talk with me about sex, respecting women, and also the consequences of not being responsible. I ended up doing a lot of ****, but I always was conscience of my choices. The one thing my dad appreciates about me the most now is my honesty and I feel I have him to thank.

Hope it all works out.
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I think that you should let them see how it goes and make your son and her tell you EVERYTHING. If she's in such a bad situation as cutting herself, your son might be one of the only people that can help her get better. Just make sure that they're not sneaking out at night and don't go home too late and definitely give him a sex talk. If they're not right for each other, then they will eventually grow apart. You just have to supervise them carefully.

Luckily, while I was in high school, which was less than a year ago, my standards were way too high for any guy to achieve. lol, I'm still single, but I'm happy.
  • TC1728
    TC1728 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have two teenagers. My daughter was 14 when she had her first bf. I was very nervous about it. I talked to her about how it can make the girl look trashy kissing and cuddling in public. Instead of saying no you can't do that I just tried to get her to be sensible about it and to have respect for her self and to not lower herself for any boy. Maybe you could explain to your son about respecting the girl by not putting the photos on fb because it can give her a bad reputation. The most important thing is do not let your son know how you feel about the gf. He is not likely to marry her. It is not for ever. He will only hate you for it and rebel. sometimes we have to turn a blind eye whether we like it or not. Telling them they can't do something usually makes them do it even more.

This is the best advice I read. I have a 21 yr old boy and 13 yr old girl.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    my kids are not allowed to have relationships or date until they are 16. This would not be happening in my house. Thankfully oldest just turned 16 and no problems so far.
  • haley255
    haley255 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    my kids are not allowed to have relationships or date until they are 16. This would not be happening in my house. Thankfully oldest just turned 16 and no problems so far.

You call this advice? You felt the need to comment saying that this isn't happening to you so you don't know how to handle it?
    And you might not realize how easy it is to hide relationships.
  • inkmonster
    Options
    Id just talk to him about it and how it makes you uncomfortable. You dont want to deprive him of love even at that young of a age. taking away his phone for falling in love is not a good thing nor is preventing him from seeing her. in respect just talk to him about the situation and talk to him about the worries of a mother. pregnancy and him getting hurt and such and such. he will feel much better if you just talk to him about it, dont say that its wrong dont say that your angry because its disrespectful of him. hes at that age where you will have feelings for another person. im with the person i feel in love with when i was 13, im 18 and we now live together dont push him aside just because hes 14. i dont think its right for him to do "adult" inappropriate things till hes at the age of consent, 16, 17+ but just tell him to take it slow. relationships can damage a teen.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    We had a similair situation with my teenage stepson a year ago. A young "lady" was messaging him obscene texts constantly. We had "the talk" Explained under no circumstances did we think he was mature enough to deal with the consequences of sexual activity ie babies, diseases, etc. That contraception isn't effective 100% of the time. Showed him proof (statistics, medical photos, etc) to back it up, and when the "sexting" continued we took away means of communication. The severing of communication ultimately severed that relationship and he has grown up a lot. GL to you. That ****s scary
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    This might be the time to do your best to make your house the cool house to hang out at. In Illinois, that house was my parents' house. After we moved to Georgia, it was another friend's house. Her parents were very relaxed and let us have some privacy. If they were worried about us or thought we'd do something stupid, they'd bring it up but they'd talk to us about it. They didn't lecture us about it. There was also an endless supply of Cokes (we chipped in too) and her mom was an incredible cook. It was not uncommon for half a dozen teenagers to be sitting around the kitchen table, peeling and cutting potatoes for fries and shaping ground beef patties for burgers. I'm sure her parents were occasionally annoyed at the number of teenagers going in and out of the house but they did get a measure of security. They knew where their daughters were, they knew their friends.
    So ask your son to bring his girlfriend around more. You'd like to get to know her. Invite her to dinner or a family movie night. Get to know the girl. She may just need some time with a real family to feel some sense of security. If you tell him that she's bad news, he's going to keep dating her but he'll hide it from you.