What other language would you like to learn?

Options
WeekndOVOXO
WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
I myself would like to learn Portuguese or Mandarin

What say you?

*edited!

Replies

• dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    if those are my only two options then Mandarin, but I'd rather learn Spanish fluently (can get by now)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    if those are my only two options then Mandarin, but I'd rather learn Spanish fluently (can get by now)

i can teach you
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My minor is Spanish so hopefully one of these days I'll be fluent!
  • TheLuSir
    TheLuSir Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    Greek.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'd like to become fluent in italian and french instead of just stumbling and then go with LuSir on a tour of the mediterranean with me doing all the romance languages and he can order me some dolmas.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Spanish,American sign language and Hawaiian in that order
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Australian sign language, French and Welsh :)
  • TheLuSir
    Options
    I'd like to become fluent in italian and french instead of just stumbling and then go with LuSir on a tour of the mediterranean with me doing all the romance languages and he can order me some dolmas.

I studied Latin for a while and it really helped me in French and Italian. But, your expertise in Spanish would be an excellent accompaniment!
  • TheLuSir
    Options

Does sign language come with an accent?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to be learning German at the moment, as my husband wants to go and live in Germany. And I really need to learn to speak Arabic properly. I know enough to get by but really there's a lot of room for improvement.

If I could learn *any* language that has *ever* existed, I'd like to get into a time machine and go and learn the earliest human language, which would probably be Homo erectus language, but who knows exactly when humans started speaking in actual language (as opposed to just grunts, pointing and a few words, although even that would be interesting to study from a scientific point of view. I'd also like to learn a neanderthal language (they probably had a whole bunch of different ones, any one of them would do). No practical use for this whatsoever, I'm just interested in this kind of thing, and a PhD thesis would be nice lol
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Does sign language come with an accent?

LOL nope, but Australian sign language is completely different to American!
  • TheLuSir
    Options
    [kicks self] Duh...American Sign Language...
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    sign language (American I guess, I had no idea there was an Australian one!) and German. I'm horrible at languages though. I wish I knew both haha.
  • xachooo
    xachooo Posts: 42
    Options
    I don't know much about sign language---was watching a documentary that included many deaf people as principle characters in the piece, and it mentioned totally in passing that some of the kids at this deaf school--now bear in mind these people were going to school back in the 1960s, and not 18th century or something---and some of the kids were not very fluent in reading or writing english, and if their parents did not sign, they were unable to communicate with their family. So this made me really understand that signing is its own language with its own grammar. Naively I always thought it was a hand motioned english (which hints at even more naivety as deaf people don't just live in English speaking countries with our subject verb object sentence structure). So i would imagine that there is variability in signing across different countries...but honestly I know so little about the topic.

As for language---wish I spoke Turkish or Hungarian.
  • Domaurefilla
    Domaurefilla Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I really want to learn ASL. I know the ABCs and like 20-30 random signs.
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I want to learn French and...as strange as it sounds....Latin. I've actually gone as far as to take 1.5 years of both in college :) but decided to focus on my majors since foriegn languages are something I REALLY struggle with, and I wanted to do well with my degrees :) But, someday...I have the basics for both languages, so I hope to figure them out...and read The Count of Monte Cristo in it's original language! :)
  • SportyChick07
    SportyChick07 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Italian
  • xachooo
    xachooo Posts: 42
    Options
    I'm supposed to be learning German at the moment, as my husband wants to go and live in Germany. And I really need to learn to speak Arabic properly. I know enough to get by but really there's a lot of room for improvement.

If I could learn *any* language that has *ever* existed, I'd like to get into a time machine and go and learn the earliest human language, which would probably be Homo erectus language, but who knows exactly when humans started speaking in actual language (as opposed to just grunts, pointing and a few words, although even that would be interesting to study from a scientific point of view. I'd also like to learn a neanderthal language (they probably had a whole bunch of different ones, any one of them would do). No practical use for this whatsoever, I'm just interested in this kind of thing, and a PhD thesis would be nice lol

Oh my word, your post was totally off the wall---in a really wonderful way, then I read your username and totally busted up. I take it you're interested in ancient human ancestors! so awesome. I read a really great book about early language called The Unfolding of Language. Could not put it down.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I always thought Australian sign language only had three gestures, one finger, two finger and the whole arm, but maybe those Australians weren't speaking sign language as I thought................? :laugh:

I'm not good at languages, though I'm sort of adequate in French,but I do a lot of travelling and working in Europe and try to learn at least a few phrases I can use in each country, hallo, goodbye, thanks, no thanks, where are the toilets, that kind of thing. I'd like to learn Italian (I find it quite easy to understand as I have french and did latin at school) as I love Italy
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I majored in Chinese (Mandarin) and lived in China for a bit and now that I am doing a whole bunch of translating as part of my post grad study I really wish I knew Chinese... better than I do, anyway.