How do you go out drinking with friends and stay on track?

Options
I am finding that I am avoinding going out becuase I know it will involve drinking and nibbles and I really want to stay on track. I want to still have fun with friends catching up but the drinks and the nibble that these occasions always involve are causing me to just avoid them. What to do? I am turning into a hermit who just goes to work and comes home again.

Replies

• benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    Go out! If they are really your friends you should be able to be open to them. Order a water with lemon and give them an excuse that you already ate. Work hard play hard, but playing doesn't need to involve a calorie filled beverage that will only hinder you from your goals. If you wanna get wasted, go for some vodka straight. Low in calories surprisingly.
  • sabimausl85
    sabimausl85 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i stay home too...
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    easy, i rarely drank alcohol anyway and i don't go out with big drinkers anymore. at the very least it's embarrasing being around drunks.

If they are real friends they will support your efforts not make fun of you and make accomodations for the fact you don't want to drink or binge.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Go out! If they are really your friends you should be able to be open to them. Order a water with lemon and give them an excuse that you already ate. Work hard play hard, but playing doesn't need to involve a calorie filled beverage that will only hinder you from your goals. If you wanna get wasted, go for some vodka straight. Low in calories surprisingly.

and even if it did have alot of calories it'd clean you out anyway :)
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Honestly - I pretty much assume that any night that involves going out with my friends will mean I'm probably going over for the day. I do make sure to get a workout in earlier that day, but... Luckily, my best gal pals are on similar weight-loss journeys, so we are trying to find other ways to spend time!

I don't know if you're into it but what about going out dancing? When I do, I tend to want water over too much alcohol and you're burning calories!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    If I want to have a few drinks I do. Just don't be silly with it. Who wants a hangover anyway?

Ill normally have a few beers or wines interspersed with a few glasses of lime with soda water. Works well for me. I actually really really like lime and soda though so feh.
  • michelleclardy
    michelleclardy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I hear you there, I stay at home too......but I like to have a drink or 2 every now and then but drinking leads to me eating and eating bad things. I guess until I can control that I can't go out or drink :frown:
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I do a lot of business travel which involves a lot of eating out with colleagues so had a similar problem. When I discovered a pint of beer was over 200 calories, I switched to whisky at less than half of that (taken with water) so I can more or less keep up without blowing my diet. Can be painful in countries famous for their beer like Germany and Belgium but what the hell. I keep away from the nibbles though. I also tell my colleagues what I am trying to do, weightloss wise, and by and large they are supportive.
  • archie1964
    archie1964 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Gym and running in the morning before, and even the night before to "bank" up a few calories
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I went to visit some old uni friends a couple of weeks ago for 4 days. Was I over my calories on these days? Of course I was! Has it hindered me from losing weight in the long run? No it didn't! That one week didn't look so good but I jumped right back on the wagon and got on with it. One day every now and again is not going to kill you! Just try to have some water in between and resist the bad foods.
    When you deprive yourself of having fun you will not be able to do this in the long run.
  • alaskanaomi
    Options
    If you do want to have a few drinks, these are my go-to low-cal drinks:

vodka, club soda, splash of OJ
    tequila, club soda, splash of cran

Just try to avoid the junk food. If you have to eat something, order a veggie platter or a salad.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If I'm out with my friends I will drink vodka and diet lemonade tall glass loads of ice. If we go for food I will order the healthiest thing on the menu and watch my portion control. Dance my *kitten* off and burn as many cals as possible. Life is to short to sit in. Good luck.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    lots of willpower.and determination, (or planning ahead), or be a hermit.