Vegan MFPers: What do you eat for breakfast?

Options
junipearl
junipearl Posts: 326 Member
As I lift 5 days a week, I like my breakfast to be full of protein and therefore usually default to greek yogurt or egg whites - neither of which are animal-free.

Very much wanting to decrease and eliminate these products from my diet, but unsure of what to replace them with.

Replies

• GenFo
    GenFo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Try a smoothie with hemp or pea protein, an apple with almond butter, or berries and a handful of walnuts.
  • Jacqsie
    Jacqsie Posts: 51
    Options
    I mash up two bananas, chop up and apple, 5 almonds, 0.25 tablespoon of flax seed, 0.5 tablespoon of pumpkin seeds and one tablespoon of sunflower seeds.............it's yummy nutritious and you get a good portion!
  • Pepanepa
    Pepanepa Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi I'm vegan:-) l usually have a smoothie =banana, blueberries, spoonful of chia seeds (soaked overnight in almond milk), almond milk, spoonful of LSA, spoonful of oats. Antioxidants, protein, essential fatty acids, complex carbs and volume, and not forgetting fast and sweet:-) Otherwise cashew butter on grain toast.
  • GenFo
    GenFo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I also love, love, love chia puddings. I'll mix some up the night before in a jar, stick it in the fridge and grab it on my way out the door. I use coconut or almond milk and whatever sounds good at the time - lemon and blueberries, chocolate and peanut butter, cherries and almond extract - yum!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am vegan and also need my breakfast to be high protein as I do resistance workouts and also high carb as I cycle to work and back and also pull in some swimming or kettlebell.

I have either 50mg porridge oats and 200ml soya milk with 1tsp sugar, or 50mg muesli and 200ml soya milk.

I used to eat free range eggs and this was the obvious solution to a pure protein food but I went completely vegan recently so I have to watch more carefully how I put foods together to reach my daily C:P:F ratios. It can be done, especially if you do enough exercise to burn off or need the carbs - which come naturlly with nearly all vegan proteins.

Oh - as a post-yoga class treat on a Saturday morning instead of scrambled eggs is scrambled tofu with sauted peppers, onions and mushrooms - very nice alternative to cereals.
  • so_losin_it
    so_losin_it Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I eat steel cut oats most mornings. Found this recipe for the crockpot, so I can just heat a bowl of it in the microwave when I'm in a hurry. I substitue almond milk or soy milk for the dairy in this. I also use half of the sugar it calls for and extra spices. I double the recipe because my husband loves, it, too! :)

http://www.closetcooking.com/2013/01/slow-cooker-apple-pie-steel-cut-oatmeal.html
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    thanks, everyone! awesome suggestions!

what is the benefit of soaking the chia seeds overnight before adding them to your smoothie?!
  • seawolf86
    seawolf86 Posts: 55
    Options
    I'm vegetarian not vegan but a vegan breakfast I enjoy is a baked sweet potato topped with peanut butter (or other nut butter). I also like oatmeal with protein powder and peanut butter mixed in. You could also doa tofu scramble or beans + salsa in a sweet potato. Hope that helps!