diabetes typ2 need help

Options
hi
I have just been diagnosed with diabetes type 2
my blood levels are ranging from 6 to 8 which is good. since I have stopped eating junk food and rubbish . im new to this and im finding it difficult to know what to eat can anyone help me ..maybe someone with the same problem I weighed in at 112.4 which I have never been in my life . I know where I went wrong ,, to many macdonalds specials with there 2.00 menu. stupid me . now im paying the price . can anyone help me with maybe a daily diet plan ..I can work around , im keeping a record but its tha carbs I suppose they are in everything. main question what cant I eat and what the best food to eat hopeing someone can help me...
thanks

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    My advice is not to take advice from people of these forums. A lot of times they will give you conflicting information and since you have a real serious medical issue, go talk to a personal dietition as your life is on the line. The only advice I can give you is that you should be exercising.
  • poponastick302
    poponastick302 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My advice is not to take advice from people of these forums. A lot of times they will give you conflicting information and since you have a real serious medical issue, go talk to a personal dietition as your life is on the line. The only advice I can give you is that you should be exercising.

I agree with what that person said.

The best thing you can do is to set yourself up with a dietitian. For now, the best thing to do is to stick to foods with a low GI (which your doctor has probably told you). My mother is also in the same situation as you, and we obtained some lists of Low-GI foods from the internet. Make sure you're getting them from reliable sources, though.

Here are a few that we use:
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Food_and_recipes/The-Glycaemic-Index/

http://www.gilisting.com/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2584181/ (the online-only appendix)

Also, here's a link to Diabetes Australia, which has proved to be a very useful website for my family.
    http://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au
  • MrsMohawk
    MrsMohawk Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have been diabetic for about a year now . When i was diagnosed my bg was 235. I was put on metformin 2xs a day 500mg. I lost **** load of weight by exercising watching my carb intake. I still have a candy bar once in a while . cheat on a burger with a BUN! I exercise every day... 7 days a week - None stop . 4 months ago i was at a 6. My fasting readings are from 98-109 . I didn't see a dietitian. I just informed my self. It's not that hard to figure out what foods are good and bad. It's all about moderation. They say diabetes because of obese ppl, Which is bull**** because my Mother who was 90 lbs soak and wet had diabetes.
    Foods that I can say are so bad are corn and potatoes. If you really have to eat them don't eat them together . Only eat one starch in your meal. Wheat flour, wheat bread. Brown foods good white foods evil. I drink almond milk such as almond breeze and silk. your daily carb intake should be 150 a day. 30 breakfast - 30 lunch- 45 dinner and 15 for snacks. The less the better though. But you do need carbs for energy. lean meats . Low fat foods.

Good luck
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    They say diabetes because of obese ppl, Which is bull**** because my Mother who was 90 lbs soak and wet had diabetes.
    Good luck.

Actually, they say obese people have a MUCH MUCH MUCH greater chance of getting diabetes when compared to someone of lesser weight. Never does anyone say obesity causes diabetes.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I have been diabetic for about a year now . When i was diagnosed my bg was 235. I was put on metformin 2xs a day 500mg. I lost **** load of weight by exercising watching my carb intake. I still have a candy bar once in a while . cheat on a burger with a BUN! I exercise every day... 7 days a week - None stop . 4 months ago i was at a 6. My fasting readings are from 98-109 . I didn't see a dietitian. I just informed my self. It's not that hard to figure out what foods are good and bad. It's all about moderation. They say diabetes because of obese ppl, Which is bull**** because my Mother who was 90 lbs soak and wet had diabetes.
    Foods that I can say are so bad are corn and potatoes. If you really have to eat them don't eat them together . Only eat one starch in your meal. Wheat flour, wheat bread. Brown foods good white foods evil. I drink almond milk such as almond breeze and silk. your daily carb intake should be 150 a day. 30 breakfast - 30 lunch- 45 dinner and 15 for snacks. The less the better though. But you do need carbs for energy. lean meats . Low fat foods.

Good luck

Ditto, my father was fit as a fiddle and he had to have a quadruple bypass due to a rare heart malfunction and is now a type 2 diabetic plus has to take blood pressure medicine so it can happen to even the healthiest people, but as above said it's not that diabetes comes from obesity but rather it just greatly increases the chances, same with strokes, heart attacks, blood pressure.

i'm severly overweight and other then high blood pressure i'm otherwise just fat. Tho i may find out different next week when i visit the doc to check up on the high blood pressure i never new about until today
  • ISABELBEARD
    Options
    hi
    thanks for your reply to my post .. I have lost 8.5 kilo and feeling well I take janumet 50mg/500mg ??? anyway I take half tablet morning half at night my blood levels range from 5.3 -8.9nver higher think its just the beginning of the diabetes.
    do you know the breakdown for the food site like the percentages carbs/fat/sugar/sodium ??????
    I don't eat white bread I eat5 wholmeal pita bread ... the sugars go higher but mainly from fruit .. my protein is higher .
    I think im doing ok I hope we can be friends and help each other through this
    thanks Isabel im from Australia
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed myself. I think I have had it for quite a long while though, probably over a year. I am seeing a dietitian tomorrow. But, I likely won't change my diet too much as I have been working toward eating the kinds of things I eat now for over a year, more veggies, more whole grains, no animal fats, etc... I am not sure what she's going to say, but hey maybe I will get a free pedometer and a glossy magazine with some recipes.

I think the most important thing is don't panic. Realize that even if you can't get rid of/cure diabetes you can reduce how much medicine you take and perhaps avoid needing insulin. I am on medication now, but not insulin my doctor says I might not ever need it and I might be able to ditch the meds someday too, but I have to lose weight for that to happen. And honestly the idea of being on meds forever is enough to get me moving more and enough to keep me from eating a donut.
  • BigAndTallSection
    BigAndTallSection Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I strongly second the opinion up top to talk to and see a nutritionist as well as some diabetic education. I too am type two but I have yet to get my diabetic education because I screwed up my appointments but I am going to say that so far as I have figured out it is a good thing to cut as many of the bad carbs as you can. I was a pasta junkie so that was step one for me. I love bread as well so that was step two. I found it easy to cut those things and sub with other better options but one thing that I will tell you that I have learned is you still need carbs so don't go cutting them all. Trick is getting the master count from the nutritionist and then making it stick. Small meals broken up though the day is also a good strategy but again I am going to tell you that I am far from a diabetic guru and I think we all need to see professionals and get our acts together.