MILK

Options
hey,
so i love milk!
but the fat free one tastes kinda like water with still 90 calories a cup.

any better suggestions? i read about almond milk or soy milk or coconut milk. anybody tried these?
how about the taste? and how about the calories in them to compare to regular milk?

Thanks

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Why not switch to 1% instead?

Almond milk is good if you are looking for lower calories. Unsweetened soy milk is about 60 cals a cup. They are good options for low cal, but don't compare to the taste of real milk.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I like unsweetened almond milk.
    I'm fairly lactose intolerant so it has the added benefit of not making me toot like a tuba all day.:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • sabimausl85
    sabimausl85 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    so how about the taste of soy- almond- and coconut milk?
    maybe the vanilla taste ones?
  • jpierc
    jpierc Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love whole milk. Best thing ever.

However, I am diabetic (and somewhat lactose-intolerant). I had to get away from milk, so I switched over to unsweetened almond milk. It isn't milk, but it is the best of what is available. Good mouth texture and good taste according to me. Give it a shot. The worst is that you're out a few bucks on one of the alternatives.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I think you'd have the try all of them for yourself and be the judge of that. Usually the ones with vanilla are higher cal because they have more sugar in them. Although, I have seen an unsweetened vanilla almond milk before but really disliked the taste of it, I didn't even finish the carton.
  • sabimausl85
    sabimausl85 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    guess i really try it, since i eat/drink only with cereal. maybe i wont taste such a difference in taste. altough i taste the difference in fatfree and 2%.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    hey,
    so i love milk!

any better suggestions? i read about almond milk or soy milk or coconut milk. anybody tried these?
    how about the taste? and how about the calories in them to compare to regular milk?

Thanks

Why not just drink the real milk?

Even whole milk is only 4% fat, which is still classed as low fat.

Whole milk naturally contains fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K, which skim milk lacks since the fat is removed. Therefore, manufacturers will add vitamin A and D, which isn’t quite as natural,

After the fat removal process, sodium and carbohydrates are left behind, leaving the sodium and carbohydrate(sugar) content higher in skim milk than in whole milk..
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    hey,
    so i love milk!

Thanks

Why not just drink the real milk?

Even whole milk is only 4% fat, which is still classed as low fat.

Whole milk naturally contains fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K, which skim milk lacks since the fat is removed. Therefore, manufacturers will add vitamin A and D, which isn’t quite as natural,

After the fat removal process, sodium and carbohydrates are left behind, leaving the sodium and carbohydrate(sugar) content higher in skim milk than in whole milk..

^^^ this

drink whole milk, and track the calories, and stay within your calorie goals. Whole milk is more calorie dense, so you won't be able to drink quite as much of it as if you were drinking skimmed milk, but if you prefer the taste then it'll be easier for you to stick to in the long term, plus it's a good source of fat soluble vitamins.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You like milk? Then drink milk. It's not bad for you. Just the opposite, really. Drink as much as you can fit in your calorie budget
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I love Silk's low calorie chocolate milk, and Almond vanilla is really yummy!! Also for health reasons my son had to switch from Vit D to fat free milk. It took him a couple of weeks to get used to it, but now he actually prefers the fat free. He says reg milk is too thick for his tastes :) He was 15 when he had to switch
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    hey,
    so i love milk!

Thanks

eating less fat to store less fat is an erroneous dietary concept from the 80's. it turns out that most kinds of fat are good for you and necessary macronutrients for your body. ingested fat does not get automatically stored as body fat any more than carbohydrates do. so if you prefer 2% or whole milk, drink that with no guilt whatsoever. these have more calories of course, so you still have to budget for those in your daily calorie goal, but the fats in milk are not fats that you need to avoid.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of 1%. I also like almond milk, but can't drink it straight. I only use it on my cereal. The nutty flavor is really good on cereal.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, unsweetened. 40cals for 250ml (1 8oz cup)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I was expecting this to be an anti-milk article. I'm pleasantly surprised.

OP if you enjoy whole milk or 2% then just make it fit your goal and enjoy it. :flowerforyou:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, if you like milk, drink milk. Why would you want to get rid of it? Seems silly to me.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Blech. I actually hate milk xD Always have. I drink Almond milk and if it isn't sweet enough (though it usually is. I drink it with cereal or whatever) I can add sweetener.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, if you like milk, drink milk. Why would you want to get rid of it? Seems silly to me.

This!!! Love 1% Chocolate Milk!!! Nom Nom Nom
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Drink the one you like! I grew up on 2% but I usually buy whole milk these days. Milkfat is good for you! Drink up! Skip the skim milk and the fake stuff.
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    personally i've never been a huge milk drinker. but my husband loves it, and we buy 1%. but I do like milk in my coffee and stuff (cereal obviously lol) - and even the 1% is high in carbs and sugars. So since i've made the change to a healthier lifestyle (and i've lost 73lbs) i've switched to unsweetened almond milk and really like it (i like it in cereal or on it's own too - has a slight almondy taste and I love almonds!) and it's only around 30-35cals a whole cup and only one or 2 grams of carbs and sugars (compared to 12g in 1%!). I've recently just found and love Almond Breeze's new almond coconut milk - so yum in coffees! it's higher in fat than regular milk (3.5g/cup) but still low in cals (45) and carbs/sugars (1 or 2).

give it a try and see what you think! i've never had soy so i can't comment on that, but i'm loving my almond milk and i think it's a great switch with my healthier lifestyle! :