Realistic goal? TIme problems

Options
I am 19, 5"8 and currently weigh 138lbs

I really want to lose 28lbs by June, is that possible, if so what is the best approach? I am studying at the moment, so I have very little time, with exam season approaching to, I am struggling to fit workouts in. Any ideas?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    That will make you medically underweight. How about instead of looking to lose, you take a closer look at why you arent happy with your body now and try to tone/reshape without losing?
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    That will make you medically underweight. How about instead of looking to lose, you take a closer look at why you arent happy with your body now and try to tone/reshape without losing?

^ This.

Please educate yourself on what is healthy for you. 110lbs at 5'8" is not healthy at all. What made you choose this number for yourself?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Your current weight is healthy. I don't think you should aim for underweight. Why do you want to lose so much?
  • smileitconfusespeople
    Options
    I chose this weight because I have been at 120 before and still looked fat, so I wanted to go one step further I suppose, I didn't realize that was unhealthy. I am aready quite muscular as I swim and walk a fair bit, so i don't think toning would help, I just want to be smaller.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have a daughter very close to your age so this pulls at my heart strings. You are beautiful. Keep doing what you are doing. Losing that much would make you to thin and you don't want to do that to yourself. Concentrate on your current physical activities and do your absolute best in your studies. Nothing is more attractive in a young lady than one who is smart and knows what she wants out of life. Like I tell my daughters all the time : Make good choices, have a good time, do the right thing. Hugs to you <3
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    lift weights. drop the scale. As for your question, yes its possible if you completely stop eating. Highly improbably and a very bad idea regardless
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    have you heard of staci? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

The number on the scale doesn't necessarily need to be really low for you to be smaller, I would focus on strength training :)
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I'll agree with the others here, sounds too much to lose for your height. What is your current body fat percentage? If you're quite muscular your lean body mass is probably at least 100 and getting to 110 would give you 10% body fat, which is the low end of essential body fat needed for women and could lead to health issues because of the low body fat.

Figure out your body fat and lean body mass, and go from there to get the body fat % you want, ignoring the scale.
  • smileitconfusespeople
    Options
    Thank you for all your ideas, don't worry, I am not going to starve myself, nor will I get dangerously thin.
    I have no idea about my fat percentages, I will investigate where I am on that front.
  • srnovak
    srnovak Posts: 2
    Options
    lift weights. drop the scale. As for your question, yes its possible if you completely stop eating. Highly improbably and a very bad idea regardless

I agree! Get strong lean muscle from new types of exercise (if you don't like weight lifting, try an RPM class. They're killer.) Body type, bone weight, muscle mass all contribute to weight. (I'm 5'3" 123lbs and a boney size 0-2 with a lot of lean muscle. But I used to feel like you do, fat at a slender/healthy weight. So I went on extreme diets and temporarily wrecked my metabolism and my health. DON'T do that to yourself.)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    No, just please don't. If your muscular now, you are going to just end up becoming weak and stringy.

great advice above. Can you fit 30 minutes of heavy lifting in 3 times a week? I bet you can. That with a reasonable diet and you will be great. get some cardio in too.. you know, in case of zombies.
  • DreamChaser9717
    Options
    You sound a perfect weight for your height! Bmi isn't all you should take into account, but I agree with the others, for your height that weight is starkly low.if you want to get thinner why don't you start incorporating lifting into your workout routine! That will trim you down and give you the look your going for without endangering your health.goodluck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What they all said. That's too low for your height. If you think you have weight you need to lose, lift weights instead.

Here's how little the scale matters: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/886672-1-5-million-calories-in-775-days
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Posts like these make me sad. :sad:Young girls who are perfectly healthy and acceptable weights trying to lose weight to fit into a silly stereotype of what is supposed to be attractive. OP If you want to change your body shape look into weight training.
  • smileitconfusespeople
    Options
    DOn't get upset!!!! I just want to be happy with how I look in the mirror and comfortable wearing a bikini.

I haven't done much weights before as I always assumed they would bulk you out but having seen the evidence posted above, evidently not, I think I will give weights a go!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Why would looking like a stick figure make you comfortable in a bikini? As everyone else has said, your goal is much, much too low. It's unhealthy for your height. If you want to feel confident in a bikini start strength training. Please.