What does a gym cost?

Options
13»

Replies

• txsbbtc
    txsbbtc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just joined the local rec center. $110 a year for access to the walking track and the exercise room (basic, has a little of everything, but nice and quiet).
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I used to pay $10 a month for Planet Fitness until I bought some stuff for home. Now I can do the Elliptical in the basement while watching streaming shows on Netflix. Can't see paying $40 or $50 a month.
  • atoz133
    atoz133 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Love Planet Fitness!!!! $10 is hard to beat.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    OH!! Check into your community center to see if they have a fitness room that you can use for free! The hours may not be great (not 5 am-9pm ish) but it's still free. I know our town has one but they open after I go to work and I don't like to go to the gym after I get off work.
  • richh963
    richh963 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I pay $10 a month includes weight room and areobic equipment plus showers,lockers, sauana and steamroom plus a discount on classes, if i pay $29 a month, iget the above plus all classes become free , and I can use indoor basketball, handball & vollyball courts plus tanning rooms and towels are then included.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I was doing pay as you go classes at various places in my area and just recently joined a gym. I basically chose between two gyms(only two that had classes in my area). There was a $10 dollar difference in cost between the two and the one that was $10 dollars more has an indoor and an outdoor pool. It also has classes on Friday evening and Sunday afternoon which is a plus. It is not a 24 hour gym but I don't have a schedule that would require me to use the gym late. It cost me $41 a month(they have a sliding scale based on income; the cost went up to $71 or as low as $32 depending on your income). For me, $41 is a bargain because for the month of Jan and Feb, I was shelling out up to $25 A WEEK for the pay as you go classes. Right now, the classes are what I'm into. What it comes down to is are you going to get your money's worth? In other words, how many times are you going to go a month? For me, I see myself taking so many classes in a month that they will cost about $1 a class.

All that to say, I don't think one needs a gym membership if they can't afford it or if they aren't going to use it consistently. When I lost 120 lbs, I did so without a gym. I walked/jogged/ran outside and now, with all the you tube videos, you can supplement with that. Don't feel like your desire to get healthy requires it:) $56 seems high. Are you going to use all the amenities? Are there other options?
  • justmyalias
    justmyalias Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I pay $10 a month. No frills or classes, but LOTS of equipment, clean locker rooms.... ALL I NEED!

^^^
    this
    my son pays $10 a month for his membership, no contract
    nice and clean
    24 hours except Fri - Sat nights
  • monicaanngregory
    monicaanngregory Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just joined Planet Fitness last month. Lots of machines, no classes or hot tub/sauna....but it's only $10 a month and no commitment. So far we're very happy...
  • beetpoet
    beetpoet Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I can't thank everyone enough for all the advice and information. This really helps. I checked out other places in my (expensive) area and none appealed to me. No Planet Fitness here... wish there was something like that. I am going to walk and hike. I love hiking and we have a lot of beautiful trails around here. So that will be much more realistic, and more fun for sure. Plus hiking is free! Except for the annual pass we pay to the water district, which is well worth it and cheap. So onward!
  • sew3521
    sew3521 Posts: 5
    Options
    I did a quick yep search for gyms near Fairfax and I am pretty sure you are talking about 'Women's Fitness Center & Spa'. 106 to try and 56 with contract is INSANE. I know my mom loved going to Curves before I talked her into switching (more on that later) and it looks like there is one nearby. However I will give you the same advice I have given my mom and other females. Don't worry about a woman only gym. We guys are not worried about what you look like inside the gym... Don't get me wrong if I see a smoking hot girl I might discretely do a double take, but I have never seen a guy make fun of someone working out, and if they did I know many people would not be cool with that. The female only gyms are always MUCH more money because they are scamming you on your insecurities. I got my mom to join a mixed gender gym (she is mid 50's and wanted/needed to lose weight for health) and the first few times she didn't like having men around but with a week realized I was right. I would look into the "Fairfax Health Club & Aerobic Center". It sounds close to you and the reviews seem pretty good. It also sounds like they have a lot of regulars, which is awesome, because even though you might not talk much to others at a gym (if at all) it keeps down on the riff raff. Not being from that area though I don't know for sure.
    But back to your questions:
    Should I join a gym? - Yes! Please do.

Should I wait a while and stick with MFP daily food logging and walking? - I would say no. While these are great and help out a ton it is not enough. This might help you out some in seeing why:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/412867-exercise-routines-for-women-over-60/

Is $56/month high? (What are people paying these days?) - As I said before this is INSANE. I pay 29.99 for a gym with a wet and dry sauna, 3 lane lap pool, 3 indoor tennis courts, 4 racquet ball courts, and a 1/10 mile track.

Hope this helps some and good luck! I applaud you for wanting to get healthy in your 60's. Remember the first 3 weeks of a lifestyle change are the hardest!