sweetners? specifically stevia...

Options
wilki089
wilki089 Posts: 38 Member
I am cutting out processed foods and sugar but I have to have sweetners. I was using slenda a while back but started having headaches and switched back to regular sugar. I have been using stevia drops. I like it but didn't know if anyone had any info on the good, the bad or the ugly about it. I love honey but there are many things that it just doesn't taste good in.

Replies

• KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I used to think that I had to have my tea or coffee sweetened but I have learned to drink my tea or coffee just black and I have noticed its much nicer without sweeteners because you can taste the true beverage!
  • auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I would recommend looking at the nutrition label to make sure it doesn't have other sweeteners added. That's something I noticed when looking for stevia. I really don't use it anymore though. To me it has a bit of a bitter taste (are the drops better than the powder?) and gives me a headache. I've used bananas/apples/ raisins in some recipes with success. Good luck to you!
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Stevia shouldn't be as bad as equal, splenda, or sweet n low because it is not a chemical. It is a natural herb, just like cinnamon and mint which most people would say are pretty much harmless (although NO herb is entirely harmless). Personally stevia gave me severe headaches that last about 2 days after ingesting a small amount. I wish I could use it because the taste was pretty good and I didn't have to worry about chemicals and what not.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I prefer any recipe where i can substitute banana or apple sauce or pineapple for sugar but I certainly wouldnt be mushing a banana into my morning tea. lol Because of the many posts on here about coconut products, I have been reading about coconut sugar. It is suppose to be low on the glycemic index. I don't actually drink my tea with sugar but I can see where in some cases mushed fruit won't do.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm sticking with Splenda and honey. I think stevia, the liquid anyway, has a horrible aftertaste that's worse than sacharrin. Yuck
  • essaryswife73
    essaryswife73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia in the raw in my iced tea, and I like it way better than Sweet n Low, Equal or Splenda. Now if I get too much in the tea it has a bad aftertaste. I use 2 packets in a 22 oz glass of tea and it's fine. The other sweeteners give me headaches, but I haven't had any at all from the Stevia In The Raw. I've also tried some of the other Stevia products and they aren't as good to me. The IN THE RAW packets seem the best to me. They have zero calories and some of the others have 2-5 calories per serving. Good luck to you!!!
  • cmta123
    cmta123 Posts: 8
    Options
    I am also cutting out sugars. i've been substituting honey, but it doesn't work for everything. I like the idea of adding fruit like bananas, applesauce and pineapples. I've never thought about pineapples before.