do i really have to count those?

Options
laura328
laura328 Posts: 136 Member
i've been bulking up my meals with raw veggies - snap peas, peppers, carrots, etc. i just don't wanna count those calories even though of course they have calories. what do you guys think?

Replies

• CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    If it has calories, I count it.
  • rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I would just "quick add" a guess of the calories- maybe overestimate a bit just to be safe.
  • rsharper97
    rsharper97 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I would count them.
  • jriehl08
    jriehl08 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If I eat it it gets counted
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Count them.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I count whatever I eat.
  • geckospot
    geckospot Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Those are bulking up on the good side of nutrition. Of course you count them. Now that order of Wendy's french fries I had last night - no, I really didn't want to count those but if it goes in the mouth it gets counted.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    you want to be accurate count them...if you don't care, don't count them.
  • BAFilek
    BAFilek Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    According to Weight Watchers, no one gets fat eating vegetables and fruits, therefore they have 0 points. It is completely up to you if you count them. I, personally, do not count my Crystal Light drinks that should be 10 calories per packet.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I count them. I really hate counting things that I shouldn't have had. (Hello peanut butter cookies!) But I like counting the healthy stuff. It makes me realize how far I have come in my progress of Healthy VS. Unhealthy.
  • LaurenEileen74
    LaurenEileen74 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    count them ... no cheating :smile:
  • laura328
    Options
    Thanks all! I know you're right and I have to count them. I just keep saying to myself (stupid I know) "but it's just raw veggies!!!!" it's not fair that I should have to count them. waaaah:sad:
  • laura328
    Options
    According to Weight Watchers, no one gets fat eating vegetables and fruits, therefore they have 0 points. It is completely up to you if you count them. I, personally, do not count my Crystal Light drinks that should be 10 calories per packet.

That's kinda where I'm coming from. I wonder what would happen if I ONLY ate fruits and veggies....
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If I have a cup of grapes or half cup of grapes or broccoli or garden tomatoes I count them. If I eat 5 or 6 while cooking dinner I don't. And I don't count coffee- I've seen it on people's diaries like "1 cup of coffee, dripped 2 calories." I burn more than 2 calories typing that so I don't. But I'd say if your eating it as a snack or with a meal I'd count it- also it will help your nutrient reports be more accurate and account for the iron and fiber and vitamin content- which when you are looking back at your progress will look really good and proably make you feel really good too.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    count everything that goes into your mouth.
  • laura328
    Options
    Those are bulking up on the good side of nutrition. Of course you count them. Now that order of Wendy's french fries I had last night - no, I really didn't want to count those but if it goes in the mouth it gets counted.

hee hee:laugh: so I guess that means I have to count those nachos I had the other day...
  • essaryswife73
    essaryswife73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If I eat it or drink it or chew it, I count it. Even the no calorie stuff. And especially the high calorie stuff.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it if you don't want to. Your calorie goal isn't written in stone by the prophet of God. If I were as worried about the accuracy of my calorie counting as you would have to be to count the carrots you add to your meal, I would have to weigh the ingredients for my own portion of food separately, cook it separate from my husband's portion and eat the entire thing I cooked for myself instead of stopping if I feel full.

Do you see what I am saying.

At a certain point, you have to realized that you ARE estimating. It's a close estimate but it is still an estimate.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You could count them for accuracy, but if you're just concerned with the weight loss, you don't NEED to. Thermogenetic studies show that (at least for mice and rats, but research on human ileostomy patients supports that it applies to us, too) that the SDA (specific dynamic action = cost of digestion) is high enough for those foods, especially raw, that the net energy gain is 0 on average.

So, basically : not counting them isn't what's going to make you fat (or not lose) if you're counting your other food.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If you ONLY ate raw fruits and vegetables, you'd need to add in high calorie ones like nuts and seeds and avocados or you'd eventually die of starvation.