Getting it off my Chest and Apology.......................

Options
I would like to say that I really wish people would not post articles defaming or calling the Low Carb Lifestyle any longer as I never like to get into the heated debates.

I really think some members here get off by seeing me get offended by it and that is the reason some of these articles are posted.

If I am taking this too personally, please accept my apologies. I have let too many people take me away from being the person I truly am on this board.

There are many members here that are not overweight due to just over eating. There are emotional eaters, those that have endocrine issues such as PCOS, Thyroid, Diabetes, Insulin Resistance, Adrenal Fatigue, etc that a “natural” or Lower Carb approach will help.

I know that from my personal successes and failures since gaining weight that I can genuinely help others.

My intentions are not to promote Low Carb as the end all and be all of eating, but to let people know there are structured plans out there that CAN help tremendously. This applies to more people on this site than anyone would ever admit to.

I am very passionate about how I feel and yes it does come through in my posts. With that being said, many people take a person’s words on a computer screen and say that someone is being nasty, rude, etc and you can not make that determination because you are not actually speaking to me.

To know me in real life, would be to know that I am very outspoken, but I genuinely care about people and their well being. If you were to speak to my family members, friends and co-workers they would tell you I am one of the nicest people in this world. I am compassionate and yes I am emotional (probably due to hormone issues) but I speak from the heart.

I don’t always word things the way I am hearing it in my mind as I type it out, so sometimes my message may come across as rude or something, but that is not my intention.

If I can help just 1 person to overcome a condition such as Diabetes the way I have been able to start reversing it, then I feel I have done my job.

If anyone would like to stop being judgmental toward me and accept my apology, then bygones can be bygones.

There are those of you (and you know who you are) that intentionally call me out and say things just to get a rise out of me.

Sincerely –
Cora

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I apologize again if it seems I am rambling.

I just wanted to get this off my chest.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You sound like a very nice person to me.
    I haven't read any of the blogs you mentioned, but I hope the people who did hear your words and see your heart in the above apology.
    Hugs, BJB
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks. I actually try to eat MORE carbs... and it works for me. It just depends on the person. No attacks from me! If something's working for you... go for it! :)
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I didn't take it as rambling. I thought it was very well put and sincere. I'm sure I'm not the only person here that appreciates this from you. If anything I ever said came across as unnecessarily harsh I apologize for that. I more so was attempting to add humor to what turned into a completely ridiculous situation.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    Different strokes for different folks. I actually try to eat MORE carbs... and it works for me. It just depends on the person. No attacks from me! If something's working for you... go for it! :)

lucky you. I just look at carbs and I gain weight. hahah

but Cora, I AM trying to educate myself on the low carb diet and figure out a right balance for me. I still haven't finished reading up but definately know who to come to for help.

Thanks
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I am never offended by the posts and I think that you have something that has worked for you very well. I am not a low-carber, but I do my best to avoid the most processed and refined carbs and choose vegetables, whole grains and beans instead. It's a learning process.

As an aside, I just heard about this meta-analysis mentioned in Scientific American and thought it would be of great interest to you! http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=carbs-against-cardio

Some excerpts:

"In March the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published a meta-analysis—which combines data from several studies—that compared the reported daily food intake of nearly 350,000 people against their risk of developing cardiovascular disease over a period of five to 23 years. The analysis, overseen by Ronald M. Krauss, director of atherosclerosis research at the Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, found no association between the amount of saturated fat consumed and the risk of heart disease.

[...]

Stampfer’s findings do not merely suggest that saturated fats are not so bad; they indicate that carbohydrates could be worse. A 1997 study he co-authored in the Journal of the American Medical Association evaluated 65,000 women and found that the quintile of women who ate the most easily digestible and readily absorbed carbohydrates—that is, those with the highest glycemic index—were 47 percent more likely to acquire type 2 diabetes than those in the quintile with the lowest average glycemic-index score. (The amount of fat the women ate did not affect diabetes risk.)"

Keep doing what is working for you and telling others what has worked for you. It seems as though you will continue to have more and more research to back you up!
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Thanks Cora. :flowerforyou:
  • AlisaToth
    AlisaToth Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    In a very respectful manor i would like to respond to this as i agree and disagree with things in your post.
    I competely see where you are coming from and agree that people should not post negative articles.
    However, i believe that in any/every case not just the "Low Carb lifestyle".
    You are correct not everyone is overweight bc of over eating. There are many other causes, my family for one, has a strong history of uncontrolled weight gain due to thyroid issues (thank God I have not inherited that as far as i know) that is only regulated with medicine and most times that doesn't help with weight loss once the weight has been gained.
    I understand you are just venting about one specific trend that you have seen that effects you personally, but i don't think people should post negative things about any of the many different ways there are to change your eating habits (either low carb, low cal, vegan, raw vegan etc...) if that is what is working for you.
    This site, to me was provided as a place to promote, uplife and encourage. Giving advice to those who need it, and finding common ground with those who may have the same weight loss issues as you!
    Keep your chin up! Don't let what others say/post effect you! What works for you works for you and all you can do is encourage someone who maybe having similar trials that you have already overcome!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's a problem with message boards - there's no real tone of voice with reading a comment. That's perobably why I use emoticons way too much - I mean as often as I do. :wink:

Very nice and heartfelt post, Cora. I agree with you - there are many different situations and many different solutions. One size fits all is a myth. You have a big heart, sounds like to me.

Have a great day :heart:
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Cora,

In looking at your pics, it looks like you have a boxer? That makes you A-Okay in my book. :bigsmile:

Anyhow, in a forum like this, there are frequently people who forget that everyone is entitled to thier opinions whether or not these opinions agree with theirs. That said, if I eat too many carbs, I gain weight too. I did Atkins before and lost a lot of weight doing it. It works. I also never had cholesterol problems or anything like that while on it.

Everyone has to do what works for them. Live and let live.

I am sorry that you were attacked so that you felt like you had to make this statement. I have read your posts before and have never found them to be ofensive in any way. Keep doin' like you're doin'!

((Hugs!!))
    :flowerforyou:
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I am never offended by the posts and I think that you have something that has worked for you very well. I am not a low-carber, but I do my best to avoid the most processed and refined carbs and choose vegetables, whole grains and beans instead. It's a learning process.

As an aside, I just heard about this meta-analysis mentioned in Scientific American and thought it would be of great interest to you! http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=carbs-against-cardio

Some excerpts:

"In March the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published a meta-analysis—which combines data from several studies—that compared the reported daily food intake of nearly 350,000 people against their risk of developing cardiovascular disease over a period of five to 23 years. The analysis, overseen by Ronald M. Krauss, director of atherosclerosis research at the Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, found no association between the amount of saturated fat consumed and the risk of heart disease.

[...]

Stampfer’s findings do not merely suggest that saturated fats are not so bad; they indicate that carbohydrates could be worse. A 1997 study he co-authored in the Journal of the American Medical Association evaluated 65,000 women and found that the quintile of women who ate the most easily digestible and readily absorbed carbohydrates—that is, those with the highest glycemic index—were 47 percent more likely to acquire type 2 diabetes than those in the quintile with the lowest average glycemic-index score. (The amount of fat the women ate did not affect diabetes risk.)"

Keep doing what is working for you and telling others what has worked for you. It seems as though you will continue to have more and more research to back you up!

Thank You. I have read many studies and research cases as to this finding. When I state this on this site though (and I have said it in nice manner and not so nice) I get told to basically shut my mouth because I am leading people to heart disease.

• baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    Thanks Cora!:blushing:
  • gnme4243
    gnme4243 Posts: 120
    Options
    but i don't think people should post negative things about any of the many different ways there are to change your eating habits (either low carb, low cal, vegan, raw vegan etc...) if that is what is working for you.
    This site, to me was provided as a place to promote, uplife and encourage. Giving advice to those who need it, and finding common ground with those who may have the same weight loss issues as you!

I so agree with this!! I think everyone should be allowed a voice to share differing opinions, but seriously, it doesn't need to be done rudely or sarcastically. I don't think anyone is an authority on an subject so much so that there is a right to be rude or demeaning.

Hang in there! Your post shows that you very much care and that you would take the time to write it is so very thoughtful! If what you are doing is working for you, and your feeling good and healthy- keep on!!! :flowerforyou:
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this more and more and not just with low carb type posts. We all have to remember that not everything will work for everybody. Also...we're all here for the same reason...to get healthy. My path will be different from other people's doesn't mean that they're on the wrong path or that I'm on the wrong path.

Cora...keep doing what works for you. I don't low carb but I do agree that there is A LOT of misinformation floating around about this type of lifestyle.
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

Some excerpts:

[...]

Thank You. I have read many studies and research cases as to this finding. When I state this on this site though (and I have said it in nice manner and not so nice) I get told to basically shut my mouth because I am leading people to heart disease.

Cora,
    I have gotten to know you on the Low Carb Lifestyle forum and I think your a very nice person with a BIG heart :) I would ignore those who want to be rude although I know how hard that is at times for myself :)

As far as low carb leading to heart disease. Scientific studies proves that is not true. Keep doing what your doing because you know your improving your health and who cares about the others!!
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Wow Lioness, I think you are a pretty good person. It takes a lot of courage as well as a person with good character to post something like this. I am proud of you and I have a new found respect for you. Way to go!!!:flowerforyou:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I always want to cut carbs but they best fit my budget :tongue:
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Cora is a pretty name. :flowerforyou:
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Cora is a pretty name. :flowerforyou:

Thank You. :flowerforyou:
  • tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I wanted to chime in. Cora, I have read many of your posts and I believe that you are very sincere and passionate about helping people. I also believe that you have absolutely found the magic formula for your medical concerns and body in general. I have Celiac disease, so obviously I can't have common "white flour" carbs like most people, but I can have plenty of other types of carbs - including rice pasta. So here is what I found for myself, purely by accident... if I eat carbohydrates in the form of any of the gluten free items I can eat, such as cereals, breads, cakes, etc.....I feel horrible. I feel sluggish, bloated, and my weight will rise about 3 to 4 pounds due to water retention. As soon as I would cut out that stuff and stick to a serving of rice a day or a serving of gluten free oatmeal a day, while making the majority of my food from beans, fish, eggs, berries, fresh greens, and the occasional frozen veggies, the water retention went away, I felt more energized, and my rosacea cleared up. Simply my experience, but I would never have found this out if I hadn't been "forced" to do this one week when I had run out of my carb loaded goodies. No one could have convinced me that I would have experienced so many positive changes by cutting out most of those types of carbohydrates. Just my simply story, but I wanted to share that in support of your positive experiences and willingness to help others.