The long term

Options
As I get older sometimes I think about where I will be in terms of my health and fitness at 40, 50, 60, 70, 80+. I know at some point I could have an accident and get hurt, or get sick, or just plain get older and slower and not be able to do the same kinds of exercises I enjoy today. I'm curious to hear long term plans for success? Do you have one? How far does it go? Knowing at some point mother nature might smack down your ability to maintain on 4,000 calories a day?

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Nooooo! I hate to think that far ahead!!!!

Seriously, tho…I plan to keep on doing what I’m doing as long as I physically can. Mother Nature can be tricky (I look at my formerly active husband who’s had a bunch of discs in his neck fused and can’t lift more than 20 pounds to know this), so at this point, barring major injury, critical illness, or the myriad of other crap that can happen to a body, I will press on as long as I can and adapt as the situation changes. :smile: What else can you do?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay active, you will be able to be active into your old age. I don't plan for worse case scenarios, because there are too many of them. If I am vegetative, pull the plug, other than that we will work it out as it comes up.
  • artex1024
    artex1024 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've alway had the misfortune of watching the problems that occur when one doesn't correctly take care of themselves. My mom eats healthy foods, but sticks to a strict 600 calorie a day diet and the only exercise she's ever done is a minimal amount of cardio. Therefore, try as she might, as she gets older she can't keep her body from falling apart. Her back hurts, her bones are weak, she has no muscle and her major organs don't function correctly. She's constantly in and out of doctors and she's been told she needs back surgery, but she can't afford to be out of work during the time it would take to recover. I've told her to try lifting weights to help strengthen her muscles and bones and she gives me the old "I don't want to look like a man!" excuse. I've tried to teach her about nutrition, but she says I'm not a doctor. A couple years ago, I vowed never to be like that. I developed a healthy sustainable diet that I can stick to indefinitely. I workout to build core strength, so I don't have back problems. I love to walk, so barring losing my legs, that's something I can always do. I check my blood pressure often and I'm working on getting to my goal weight in the next few months. I indulge in plenty of coffee and I follow my uber-healthy grandma's advice and don't pass on a good red wine or craft beer, so I won't have heart problems. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am always trying to progress...so if I deadlifted 335# last week then I want to do 340 the next week ..or at least increase the rep range at 335....I hate when i have days where I feel like I did not add reps ore weight to my routine..

As far as long term..I want to be doing squats and deadliest when I am 50, 60, 70..etc...

I think if you train properly and eat right that this is possible.

A lot of people say that certain exercises will "break your body down" as you get older..but I think that is if you do not train properly (i.e form) or do not eat well....

just my thoughts...
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    well, I plan to lift heavy weights until I die. Lots of lean muscle = healthy, vibrant old lady. If I get hurt somewhere between now and then, I'll eat insane amount of protein to spare to insane amount of muscle I already have. Old ppl get fragile not because they are old. They get fragile b/c they lose most of their muscle.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 so I speak from a bit of experience. You just have to keep moving! Stay limber, stay active. Walk. Stretch. Rest. Nourish. Address issues as they come up and don't put them off. Expect the unexpected. And when crap happens, roll with it, fix what you can and adapt to the things you can't. If you're a runner, you may have to slow it down to being a jogger/walker... stamina begins to wane... joints get angry (and some may need replacement... and I have the x-rays to prove it!). Even Olympic athletes slow down or injuries can cause a complete change in how you approach life. All you can do it the BEST you're capable of, and how you care for yourself in your 20's and 30's will reflect on how well you age. I'm doing pretty well, despite a few setbacks. If all goes along without too many glitches (those things you just don't plan on) I hope to continue doing well for another 20 or 30 years, but I know the pace will slow down as the years pass and life will continue to throw the occasional curve ball. Just don't give in and don't give up!
  • lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Its awesome that you are thinking that far ahead - I sooooo wish I had. When I was younger I had a 10 - 20 lb problem, but I was always into fitness so I didn't consider it a big problem, and was able to keep it in check. You think I might have considered that it would get harder with age but I was an idiot - and then life got in the way and I didn't have time for fitness and BAM I was 48 with a 40 lb problem and an ultra slow metabolism. But after almost a year of struggle, I'm finally getting older and wiser and making peace with the fact that this is forever. So I'm and learning to look forward to my workouts and not obsess over food. The latter is harder but I'm getting there with planning (which I loath but it works). But as far as what will be my favorite exercise in 10 - 20 years - who knows? Something to look forward to - change is good!
  • lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 so I speak from a bit of experience. You just have to keep moving! Stay limber, stay active. Walk. Stretch. Rest. Nourish. Address issues as they come up and don't put them off. Expect the unexpected. And when crap happens, roll with it, fix what you can and adapt to the things you can't. If you're a runner, you may have to slow it down to being a jogger/walker... stamina begins to wane... joints get angry (and some may need replacement... and I have the x-rays to prove it!). Even Olympic athletes slow down or injuries can cause a complete change in how you approach life. All you can do it the BEST you're capable of, and how you care for yourself in your 20's and 30's will reflect on how well you age. I'm doing pretty well, despite a few setbacks. If all goes along without too many glitches (those things you just don't plan on) I hope to continue doing well for another 20 or 30 years, but I know the pace will slow down as the years pass and life will continue to throw the occasional curve ball. Just don't give in and don't give up!

You look awesome at 60!
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'll hit 40 this year. Last year, I kicked a metal chair by accident and could hardly walk for six months, spent part of it on crutches to allow ligament rest. So, last Mother's Day until about Labor Day, I was out of commission. I got in the habit of convincing myself Splenda was bad (and it may very well be), but started drinking my kid's sugar sweetened Tea they love ("like McDonalds"). I know, it's a vice. They have few. And they are from the South...they needed to learn to drink tea. It's served EVERYWHERE, often when colas are not.

Between that, and eating with three teens...I saw my first "freshman 15" fly by. I didn't do it my freshman year of college, and through three pregnancies not wanting to bottom out. It hit me at 39. And I wanted to catch it before I couldn't.

So, here I am. I tried a New Year's resolution that I'd do what I could, not make excuses for what I couldn't do or didn't want to do. I decided I could walk on the treadmill, every day, for at least 15 minutes, without even getting so sweaty I'd have to change and shower. That was something. I began tracking my food. That was something. I made a goal. That was something.

Two months later, I've lost 8.4% of my body weight, hopefully mostly fat, am lifting 5 pound weights for arms several times a week, look considerably more toned, am less ten pounds, and am up to running a 5K 3-4 times a week in about 38 minutes. I can now run 5mph for about 40 minutes. It hurts, but I can do it. Yay, me! I try to go a little faster every time, or a little longer, or a little harder, just to mix it up. I'll probably get outside in the Spring. I'd love to see that 27 minute mark again for a 5K! I finished 3rd in my gender age group in a Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure a few years ago. Was so proud of myself!

I'm doing exercise videos I find at Goodwill (funny how people get rid of those) to tone when I don't feel like running or get burned out on it. Slim in Six makes me feel like I can't sit down on my rear for about two days. I emphasize one week of running, and the next week on strength/toning that way for now. It's cheap, and better than nothing. I try not to get caught up in trends or whatever "everyone is doing", but just do what I can. I've had to give up some other things I love, like scrapbooking, to stay motivated in this area. I read about it, motivate myself, and try to keep going strong. I can do other things after I tackle this.

I hope the habit of "doing what I can" will help carry me through the rough times. I've had so many seasons of health. Some good, some sick, some sick for an entire winter with three sick kids. I thank God for good health through this winter (partly attributed to working out). It's by grace alone. If I do not always wear this size or smaller, I just won't. The world won't end. There are more important things than size and muscle. But, I do need to give it my best while I'm afforded the health to do so, and do the best I can with what I have. If my knees hurt, I do ab work that day or take a rest day. I am stronger than I was.

I'm excited that my husband enjoys the company, and has lost about 10 pounds as well, and that makes me very happy. He's very busy at work right now--it's awesome to be meeting goals together and on the same page. When we aren't, it stresses me out watching everyone else eat whatever while I'm trying so hard to lose a little. We are both more fit, enjoying that time together, and each other more. We are celebrating successes together. Such a rich time. I hope every year, we will have something we can enjoy together, for us, tennis is something that ages well with you, and I hope we can always enjoy that together as much as we did while we were dating 22 years ago.
  • natecar
    natecar Posts: 11
    Options
    Contrary to what they say, it's not so much the age as the lack of mileage that gets in the way. Office work is terrible for your health. It adds up over the years. At just over 40, I'm 50 lbs heavier than my race weight in college. I was too thin then, but couldn't put on weight.
    Injuries also slow you down and make everything more challenging (I can't do pushups yet from Shoulder surgery in December).
    My plan has been to back off the intensity and up the time in weird ways (longer walks with the dogs, installed treadmill desk at the office, when coaching youth sports, actively participate, ...).
    As they say, if it's important enough, you find a way.