Eating back calorie advice needed

Options
Katetw
Katetw Posts: 188 Member
Hi Everyone! I'm pretty new here...started my diet on 2/21/13. For that first week I lost 3lbs which I am pretty happy with (though I know it's mostly water weight). Anyway, I decided to mix in some exercise as well--I generally do the elliptical.

My problem is this: when I log the exercise, then I see all those extra calories I get to eat, and hungry or not, I eat them. I don't want to eat back all my exercise calories because my whole goal is to lose the weight, so that's just making it like I didn't exercise. (And believe me when I tell you, I'd rather eat less and not exercise, but I know it is good for me in other ways as well so I am determined.) I have considered not logging the exercise but I like to see that add up over the week.

Anyway, to make a long story short: does anyone else have this problem? How do you deal with it? Not log the exercise? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Replies

• aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories :) Problem solved. Nothing to feel bad about!
  • kelcro40
    kelcro40 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Eating them back doesn't work for everyone. I know a lot of people on here preach eating them back, but it does not work for me. I have been steadily loosing since Jan 6th (16 lbs down) by not eating them or barely dipping in to the exercise calories. SO, I am going to do what is working for me.

Editing to add: If I get to a point to what I am doing stops working, I would consider some extra calories and changing my exercise routine. But for now, I am doing what works.
  • Katetw
    Options
    you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories :) Problem solved. Nothing to feel bad about!

If you eat back your exercise calories then you don't lose that weight. The whole reason I'm exercising is to lose weight! So I don't want to go waste all that time spent working out.

It's more a mental issue, of I see I'm allowed this much and therefore I feel the need to use it up.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat all my exercise calories back, it depends how I feel. If I feel hungry then I'll eat but keep in the limit. If not, I don't force myself to eat.
    So some days I'll burn 500 calories and eat 1300 calories. Or I'll eat 1500. It just depends on how you feel, don't force yourself to eat if you're not hungry!
  • Katetw
    Options
    Eating them back doesn't work for everyone. I know a lot of people on here preach eating them back, but it does not work for me. I have been steadily loosing since Jan 6th (16 lbs down) by not eating them or barely dipping in to the exercise calories. SO, I am going to do what is working for me.

So, HOW do you do that? How do you stop yourself from eating those extra allowed calories? Thanks, I could really use the help. :)
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    There are many different attitudes on MFP regarding exercise calories, but you really have to figure out what works best for YOU! Personally, I always log exercise but usually don't eat back much if any of them unless I'm actually hungry. I'd also be careful with using the calorie expenditure listed on your elliptical because those usually overestimate by quite a bit. Your best bet would be to invest in a heart rate monitor to determine how much you're actually burning during your workouts.
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    or you can set you MFP to slightly active or moderately (depending on how much you work out) then just eat that amount and dont log excercise :)
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I try to eat back mine. I am a lot older than you so my weight loss has been slow and steady .I mixed things up in the gym too, some cardio and weights. I have really noticed the difference since doing weights, much more definition and so much stronger. I had very bad knees and back and things have got a lot better.

A couple of things
    Dont stress too much with the scales, go by how your clothes fit. I am only 20 pounds down but have dropped over a dress size

Watch sodium levels, I have far too much salt in my diet and it means I retain water so sometimes I get depressed when the scales dont move. Drink water and lots of it!

Look at interval training with the cardio. More effective than just plugging away at the same speed for 20 minutes.

You have embarked on a very exciting journey because, in the end, it is all about you!! And you deserve to put yourself in the centre.

Best of luck!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Hmmm different people = different results...BUTTT when you first signed up here and put in all your stats, MFP already creates a deficit for you.....if you go to MY Home - then goals on the right side you will see it will give you about a 500 calories deficit. So my question is why not eat back the calories?
  • kelcro40
    kelcro40 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat all my exercise calories back, it depends how I feel. If I feel hungry then I'll eat but keep in the limit. If not, I don't force myself to eat.

Exactly... I would probably gag trying to eat any more on some days. If I am not hungry,, I am not going to force it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

If you eat back your exercise calories then you don't lose that weight. The whole reason I'm exercising is to lose weight! So I don't want to go waste all that time spent working out.

You already have a calorie deficit before you exercise. The calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight. Exercise just makes you look and feel better.

I always ate most of mine back. I lost weight easier than I ever thought possible and have kept it off for a year and 8 months so far.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    You will get conflicting opinions. I eat back 90% of my exercise calories. If you are full, a handful of nuts gives you a lot of calories, good fat & protein. I lost almost 90 pounds and have kept it off almost a year doing this and never starved once. Good luck to you.
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options

It's more a mental issue, of I see I'm allowed this much and therefore I feel the need to use it up.

not necessarily true. If you've set up your calorie goal through MFP then it is built in that you eat your exercise calories back. If you have chosen a different way to find out what you're calorie requirements are for the day then you may not have to eat them back. However MFP is built that you eat them back.
  • Alarista
    Alarista Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You could set your activity level to sedentary (to lower how many calories you get to start with) and then that way if you eat a few back not as a big a deal. I think some people can eat their exercise calories, however, if you're eating and you're not hungry, that's not the purpose. If I think I'm hungry or unsure if it's hunger or want I will drink a glass of water or some hot tea or have some broth or sugar free jello. Not a lot of calories (if any) I put spoon to mouth a bunch, and then if I still feel hungry I know I am.
  • Katetw
    Options
    So some days I'll burn 500 calories and eat 1300 calories. Or I'll eat 1500. It just depends on how you feel, don't force yourself to eat if you're not hungry!

Yeah, this is how I want to be. Based on all the responses I don't think I really explained my problem well.

I have a very hard time with self-control. The diet itself has been very difficult for me. However, I have committed to putting everything in my mouth in the tracker, and I really don't want to see that red number there. So I can limit myself to my daily amount (difficult but not impossible). But when I add in the exercise, now I have xxx calories extra that are there. SO I eat them.

I guess my question really is 1) how do I improve my self control and/or 2) is there another way to log the exercise that doesn't show the calories. Because if I am really hungry I want to know how much I get to eat back if I want.

Also regarding the HRM...wish I could afford one. I am out of a job and just plopped $55 for a month pass to the only gym in my town. Hopefully will get enough together for next month (if I don't have a job by then). But anyway I really can't spend the extra money on that now. :(
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

You are looking at it the wrong way. MFP already sets your deficit to lose weight. You don't want too large a deficit. You don't have to eat all of them, but you can, and should, eat some of them. Start off by eating half and see how it goes. I eat mine, and I have lost 48 pounds.
  • loriblack1974
    Options
    The calories that it gives you back from exercising are needed by your body. If you chose not to eat most/all of them back, then you are more likely to push your body into starvation mode and it will start storing calories. I struggled in the beginning to wrap my head around it too, but since eating them instead of not, my weight loss and inches lost have been much higher.
  • msloripie
    Options
    I totally agree with this post and if you want more of a deficit, manually change your caloric goal so that the mind sees less calories. I have been doing a medical diet since the end of last July and lost 80 pounds, much older than you also. The clinic is very adamant about eating back GOOD calories. Good luck!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

You already have a calorie deficit before you exercise. The calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight. Exercise just makes you look and feel better.

I always ate most of mine back. I lost weight easier than I ever thought possible and have kept it off for a year and 8 months so far.
    This. Exercise is never a waste--it makes you stronger and fitter, and helps preserve or even increase lean muscle tissue, which increases your metabolism. Eating too little has the opposite effect: you'll lose muscle and slow your metabolism. Trust to the calorie deficit you set MFP for, and you can eat your exercise calories back and lose weight at exactly the same rate as if you ate your base calories and didn't exercise. Faster, probably, thanks to the effect exercise has on your metabolism.