Just moved to the fattest state in the union!

Options

Replies

• Nicki_101
    Nicki_101 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Well I recognized the picture. Its from Mass Effect series and I love that game too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You beat me too it, although my fav character is Urdnot Wrex
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Someone else posted awhile ago about life in the fattest state in the union and yes, I'd have a problem there, too. She mentioned having a hard time finding clothes in her size (10/12) and small-cup bras and her DH couldn't find jeans slim enough to fit. She also mentioned very little variety in the produce section of the local grocery store. I'd have a problem with all of that. It would also be difficult for me to partake of Southern hospitality when so much of it is food that I never eat because it's not healthy and I don't particularly like it.

OP, good luck with your business- sounds like the biggest challenge is going to be selling the idea. I also wonder how much of the obesity is due to poor people not knowing how to cook, or thinking it takes too much time or costs more money than the 99 cent menu at McDonald's. I'm working full-time now but after retirement (in about 5 years) I'm hoping to teach people how to cook. I'm not Martha Stewart, but I can sure do better and cheaper than the processed food on the supermarket shelves.
  • Nicki_101
    Nicki_101 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't mind be sourrounded by fat people, makes me feel skinny.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    my state is #3 on that list so we are pretty close
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I hated your post.... i moved to ct from la and guess what ?? they have obese people here too... but their noses are so high in the air, they don't even realize it. People up north like to assume what the southerners do and in reality they haven't a clue,,,, perhaps you moved to a bad area, who knows. My suggestion is for you to do your thing, and let them do theirs. I'm sure if they feel the need to change themselves, they will. Have a Great Day:tongue:
    First off what are you mad at the OP for? She didn't make up the fact that MS is the fattest state in the Union.
    And second you would rather her 'do her own thing and let them do theirs' rather than trying to help? That makes no sense.
    This isn't the civil war, north vs south. I'm sure she would observe the same thing if she moved to Chicago.
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    I personally think It was somewhat rude and a lil snobby, are there not fat people in Upstate NY, weird you just noticed obesity when you got to Mississippi. They maybe obese but they sure sound like they are very loving and protective people. Great Job Mississippi on that love thang.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options

I am very aware of the impoverished state of southern mississippi, no research necessary! I will also tell you that when I had a thriving business in Ny I built gardens pro bono for local schools, boys and girls clubs and churches and plan to do the same down here while your busy researching. Havent you ever heard that actions speak louder than words! Have a nice day policing sensitivity!

Kudos to you for that. Now, after processing your initial shock about moving to an area where the awareness for things like the benefits of walking and building gardens for schools might be drastically different from where you came from it might be a great opportunity for you to shift focus to realizing what a nice position you now are in to be amongst the pioneers about bringing these issues to an area that so desperately can use such voices.

Do be sensitive to not coming accross like a newly transplanted yankee know it all (not directiing this as an insult by any means, just saying that there will be extreme sensitivity to that) but rather be humble but resolved in knowing that there is so much that can be done to help move things along one step at a time.

I live in rural Texas and my wife is very strongly involved in working with schools on garden projects, getting kids into nature and off of their gameboys and DSI's and the benefits that this can have towards getting kids moving and eating healthier and improving their overall health in general.

Look at your recent move as an opportunity for growth, not only in what you might be able to bring to your community with respect towards your garden/greenscape building expertise, but also an opportunity for some growth inward in your own self as well.

You might surprise yourself and find that you then can open yourself up to the unique beauty, warmth and Southern hospitality and end up loving your new locale.

Best of luck to you in the transition and I truely wish you success - not just for yourself, but because the region so greatly needs momentum in areas where you have had previous experiance and success.

Have a great weekend, now get out there and do it!
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Wow what an adjustment....NYS to MS....If you don't mind me asking, what prompted the move?
  • kacysuzanne
    kacysuzanne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My mom's school in Southern Arkansas worked with the county extension office to start a school garden. I am a native Arkansan who has moved to a different part of the state where obesity is not as much of a problem and I admit I was a bit shocked to enter her 4th grade class and see that most of her kids were bigger than she is. They are such sweet kids, but the school breakfasts & lunches may be the only square meals they get each day and school lunches are not always the best they could be. Free produce is helping their cafeteria add fresh veggies to their plates and the kids are taking great pride in growing the veggies and working in the garden. She was able to incorporate it into her science lessons. Education about healthy choices and availability is key. I am sure that your children's school will welcome someone with your experience to help them.
  • Kimba1974
    Kimba1974 Posts: 11
    Options
    I live in the Mid west States. I had a flat tire on the interstate. A High way police officer told me i had to hurry to get my car running or he will get it towed. He sat in his car behind me and watch me change my tire. I am a female btw. I was so stress by this I felt like crying. I had police officers in the southern states try to help me but here they would not lift a finger to help and stared at me like i was a criminal. Watched me change my tire and would have car the tow company if i wasn't fast enough. I had to call my husband to help me. I know I how to change a tire but I was so stress that i had a very hard time too.
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Mississippi is also one of the poorest states in the U.S. Many of the people who live there are struggling with a hell of a lot more than their weight.

What an insensitive and ignorant post. Please, do yourself a favor and research a little. Less judgment and more respect will take you much further.

I agree to an extent. HOWEVER, being from the south, I see first hand that all these poor people "struggling" get a ton of food stamps every month. If these people would educate themselves about the real importance of a healthy balanced diet, they could def. afford whole, clean, raw foods. There would be less obesity, and less bad crazy children running around. I strongly believe that poor diets is why ADD and ADHD are so common.
    that is all.
  • Kimba1974
    Options
    Yes i like him too.......My favorite is...Garrius!!!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Only a Yankee would assume someone offering a ride means promoting laziness. It's called southern hospitality. They're trying to be nice.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Talk about culture shock! I moved from upstate New York where I built organic backyard gardens for a living to southern Mississippi, where 1 in 3 children are hungry but I cant find em, maybe they're hiding behind all the obese people. I know, thats insensitive, but im going to restart my business down here and im hoping it wont flop, try talking health to anyone around here and they start talking about God! Its scary, lets pray for health, while we eat only fried foods and never move anywhere! My daughter literally goes to school a 7 min. Walk away from our house and we walk, whats odd is ive been asked if we need a ride around 50 times in the month we've been here, each time I state "thank you but we like to walk" and 9 times out of 10 they argue that that cant possibly be the case! Whats worse is they send a bus around to the development directly across the street from the school, which im positive is way more expemsive than hiring a couple crossing gaurds! Idk, I need some health conscious friends online because i feel like im the only one around here who gives 1 iota about being healthy happy and staying that way for as long as possible round this place!

You are living in a place where people stop and offer you a ride instead of honking at you and screaming profanities, and you are complaining about how ignorant they are?

I've have lived in a lot of places (including the South). While there are cultural differences, not all of them my cup of tea, it's a bit arrogant to move into a place and think that you know best. Life is complicated and there is no one way to live.

Obesity is not great, and it's sad when it becomes a cultural norm. But, let's get a little perspective, okay?
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yes your post sounded very insensitive, it comes across as if you look at your new neighbors and all you see is fat lazy people. That's how it comes across to me not judging you or bashing you just letting you know what I saw when I read it.

As far as looking for fit friends I am sure there is at least 1 gym, rec center, or YMCA in your town or a near by town. That sounds like a good place to start, to find friends with similar interest. Its hard moving to a new place, Maybe you will lead your community to a healthy lifestyle by example them seeing you start a garden and walking everywhere may encourage them.

Good Luck!
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    HAAA, crazy yankees!!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I don't mind be surrounded by fat people, makes me feel skinny.

I loved it when I I whenever I went to Florida, I was the thinnest person around :happy:
  • Kimba1974
    Options
    I lived in a lot of states including Mississippi and New Jersey/New York area. I lived in other southern states as well. Right now I live in the midwest. I lived 19 years in Louisiana and I admit I was tired of there and moved to new jersey to get away as some young people do. I have to say is that I missed the south after a few months. There is a truth about southern hospitality. When southerns offer a ride, we just trying to be nice and hospital. Some of us even opens doors for other people. When I was in the New York/New Jersey area they also made comments about me being so polite. Like it was a bad thing or something. I saw a guy open a door for someone and they gave him withering looks. Its like no one wants to be helped or something there. I guess there is a culture shock when a person from the south or north move to opposite ends of the continent. New York and the other northern states are not the same as back home in the southern states. More past pace etc. People tend to compare the new place to the old place. Alot of people in New York people used to comment about the southern states and it seemed to be almost alien to them. Alot of the people seemed to think of us southerns as hill billies and red necks. The southern people probably has some ideas about the people in the North. Maybe we have some preconceived ideas about the northerners. I used to get comments from the people from England about our guns so i guess to them we are all rednecks and hill billies :)

Obesity is a problem in all states not just the southern states. Thought I admit its probably high in the southern states. One thing about the New York area and a lot of those big eastern cities is that they built their transit system pretty good. Its more advantage to walk to the subway than drive a car. The cities in the south are more spread out. So yea we are not used to walking as much. Europeans are more fit as well and they got a great transit system. Its so easy to take a train to go someplace(I been there too) America is just more spread out more. Our country decided to built the car system instead. The eastern cities not so much spread out I think and with having a subway you walk to the stations and therefore more fit. We are spread out here as well. We have some transit but not alot. The city has been trying to make bike lanes but I would not use them cause lots of bikers get hit by cars. People are trying to do something about the problem of obesity. The first lady goes on a lot of shows to promote health and fitness. School lunches are starting to offer healthy alternatives in some states. I think it is a good idea for you to try to introduce gardens to people. People don't know where to start so if you help them then they will learn and perhaps get healthier. Build your own garden then invite a few people for a BBQ to your house to advertise your garden and get people interest in one. Grill some stuff from the garden. I want to build a garden myself one day but always held back because i don't know where to start. If I get a garden, I know I will eat healthier. It will be the same for them. Good Luck with your garden.
  • minihaha80
    minihaha80 Posts: 117
    Options
    I find it very funny that the people posting about me being judgemental are assuming my ignorance to southern culture. In actuality my WHOLE FAMILY have been in the deep south for more than 30 years with my parents being the latest transplant over 15 years ago, I have 9 neices and nephews who were born and bred along the gulf coast, 5 of which are adults now. I moved here to help care for my disabled parents and make their house more accommadable to their disabilities. When I speak to people around here I am very sensitive to the trials of the area and religious and family values (that northerners also have!)!

Btw yes, I have noticed that the selection of produce and "healthy" food selection at the local supermarkets is severely lacking, but stores would go bankrupt if they tried to sell items that just dont sell.
  • JuliaWomp
    JuliaWomp Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Simple, tell them the healthy, organic produce is made only with God's own ingredients and none provided by man.

It's all about marketing!

hhahaha Maybe it's because I'm in CA and the super religious people are all Catholic rather than Southern Baptist or what-have-you, but the religious people I know are really really into organic gardening and cutting out processed food... for the reasons you suggested she market and from a moral drive to take care of both one's body and the earth. Not to say the religious people round these parts are 100% the healthiest people ever... but even wine has a nice bunch of antioxidants :P
This discussion has been closed.