Journey - Why is it a bad word?

Options
LeanerBeef
LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
I've heard so many MFPers, including some of my good friends, make fun of people using the word "journey" when referring to their healthy lifestyle changes. Why? Isn't life a journey?

Definition
jour·ney /ˈjərnē/ Noun An act of traveling from one place to another.

The definition describes it perfectly to me, I'm on a journey from an unhealthy to a healthy lifestyle. It's not a final destination, it's a never ending journey with twists and turns and ups and downs along the way.

Carry on.....

Replies

• n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Because we're *****y, and we need things to complain about.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Not a bad word, necessarily. Just trite.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    'cause ....this.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgIp8TzFIJd-ZarhsURWhwGnU7RJLgnVogAy65wGHj_c3vsEW4
  • LeanerBeef
    Options
    Because we're *****y, and we need things to complain about.

LOL....woord . :drinker:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    'cause ....this.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgIp8TzFIJd-ZarhsURWhwGnU7RJLgnVogAy65wGHj_c3vsEW4

^^ This. And it's an overused analogy that needs to be retired.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    DON'T STOP BELIEVING!!!!!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    HOld on to that feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeleeeeeehhhn!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    It's mostly the Pollyanna-esque context that it's used it. It gives me the vomits a little bit.

Also..

Wheels in sky keep on turnin'........... Don't know where I'll be tomorrrrrrrrooooww.........
  • fiferjim
    fiferjim Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's just too over used so many people say they've been on a journey over trivial things it turns you off to it.

I blame celebs on reality shows ....
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine, but journeys end. A healthy lifestyle shouldn't.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine, but journeys end. A healthy lifestyle shouldn't.

Everything ends though. :devil:
  • Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Because "I'm just a small town girl, living in a lonely world."

No really, I've used it, and will continue to do so until someone finds a better replacement. It pretty much sums up finding your own path for healthy eating/excercising/life.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I personally dont care what it is called, a journey, a life-style change or a change in diet. Im not a fan of the word "diet" because it signifies TO ME a beginning and an end and so many people return to their old way of eating at the end of a 'diet".

I think we take many different journeys in our lives, some reach an end and others will continue for the rest of our lives. I generally use the term, life-style change, but that is a journey too.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I personally dont care what it is called, a journey, a life-style change or a change in diet. Im not a fan of the word "diet" because it signifies TO ME a beginning and an end and so many people return to their old way of eating at the end of a 'diet".

I think we take many different journeys in our lives, some reach an end and others will continue for the rest of our lives. I generally use the term, life-style change, but that is a journey too.

^this is exactly what I'm doing. While I can appreciate that other's have a lifestyle change to undertake, I do not. I am generally a healthy eater and am undergoing a major overhaul after which I can go back to eating my regular way and being active at my usual level. That's why I feel comfortable calling it a "diet" even though it's gonna take me many months to get there. I'm glad we agree on the definition and hope this allows you to accept when other people are using the term, that they may mean it just as what you beleive it is.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    It's just too over used so many people say they've been on a journey over trivial things it turns you off to it.

I blame celebs on reality shows ....

If only it were overused the right amount.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    "Lovin', touchin', squeezin' each other"
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    It's mostly the Pollyanna-esque context that it's used it. It gives me the vomits a little bit.

Also..

Wheels in sky keep on turnin'........... Don't know where I'll be tomorrrrrrrrooooww.........

This , well said
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options

^^^ this. :)
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    A journey is setting off to get from A to B

so good luck on your journey is well meaning, although it can sound a little trite.

Good luck on your travels? another silly statement.

Lifestyle change, that is good? (I think)

Diet? Bad

But I really don`t know the `politically correct` term :grumble:
  • LeanerBeef
    Options
    I think I'm just going to go back to saying I'm on a diet....Healthy lifestyle is starting to annoy me now.