What works for you?

Options
So far I have lost 20 lbs and I have 30-45 lbs left to go to get to where I want to be. I want to do this slowly, make it a true lifestyle change. I always lose, gain, lose gain, and I am done doing the yoyo. Yesterday I was so hungry and broke down and ate compulsively. Today is a new day but I have found I am hungrier than I was when I ate back all my exercise calories. (duh!)

The past few weeks I have not been eating back my exercise calories (well, not intentionally) but when I was more successful I was working out hard, eating back exercise, and losing 1 lb per week or a little more even over the holidays.

What works for you? I think I am going to eat healthier foods (clean) and more of them. I workout 5-6 days per week burning 400+ calories running, lifting weights, stairs, skiing, swimming, classes, etc.

Thank you in advance for your tips, advice, wisecracks!

Replies

• lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I eat back my exercise calories. But I use a heart rate monitor to estimate calories. If you're using MFP's estimates and want to eat back calories I suggest only eating back 50% because the only activities that have "matched up" between my HRM and MFP were running, running stairs and jumping rope.

I eat some junk, but for the most part I eat whole foods that I prepare myself. Much more filling that a burger from a drive thru or something.
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories.
    As in I don't make sure I do.
    If I happen to eat some of them back then fine, but I refuse to go and eat when I'm not hungry and by and large my normal allowance is plenty for me. It seems to be working as in 60 days I've lost a whisker under 20lbs and it's been at a consistent 2.3lbs per week every week and I'm now at 50% of my loss goal. I don't have cheat days either.
    I intend to stick to that for the next 60 days and hopefully will have reached my goal. Then I'll monitor my intake and weight to ensure I'm maintaining not gaining or losing.
    I use a fitbit one to estimate my normal, none exercise calorie usage and log my cardio exercises (x trainer) using the info from the machine which uses a heart beat monitor etc. I only estimate my free weight calories using what MFP says but as I don't eat them back and it's not a huge amount of calories anyway, I don't worry about it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I eat back my exercise calories. I'm aiming to do better at hitting my macros, because I feel more satisfied when I do. I take at least 1 full rest day each week. I run 3 days a week, and cross train 2-3 days. I don't do anything excessive - I want to be able to keep doing this long term, even when I'm done losing weight, so it has to be sustainable for me.
  • uberkrafty
    uberkrafty Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    So far I have lost 20 lbs and I have 30-45 lbs left to go to get to where I want to be. I want to do this slowly, make it a true lifestyle change. I always lose, gain, lose gain, and I am done doing the yoyo. Yesterday I was so hungry and broke down and ate compulsively. Today is a new day but I have found I am hungrier than I was when I ate back all my exercise calories. (duh!)

The past few weeks I have not been eating back my exercise calories (well, not intentionally) but when I was more successful I was working out hard, eating back exercise, and losing 1 lb per week or a little more even over the holidays.

What works for you? I think I am going to eat healthier foods (clean) and more of them. I workout 5-6 days per week burning 400+ calories running, lifting weights, stairs, skiing, swimming, classes, etc.

Thank you in advance for your tips, advice, wisecracks!

I try to eat back my exercise calories although I think I overestimate at times :explode:
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I eat relatively clean and work out 5 days per week. I'm in maintenance, but when I was losing, I ate back my exercise calories and still lost about .8-1 lb. per week. Always made sure to take at least one rest day per week, altho I walk my dog every day and try to walk a mile or two every day on breaks at work. Now I eat at least as many calories as MFP says I should, and I'm not having a hard time maintaining.

MFP wants you to eat your exercise calories back, but if you are worried that they are too high, then only eat 50-75% back. Just don't starve yourself--it makes maintenance that much harder to figure out if your body was starved to get where it is. I have been on the yoyo track before too, and I'm not planning to go back there.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    MFP setting is set for sedentary since I sit at a desk most of the work day. However, I'm intensely physically active 6 days a week and only lightly active on the 7th (rest). So, I eat back my exercise calories. At least most of the time. But, I'm only trying to lose maybe 10-12 more pounds. . .and I won't sweat it if I don't because I'm at a great size right now. But, if I skip food to lose weight. . it always backfires! I'd rather move more/with more intensity than skip food!!!
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I have a kcal goal that is the same everyday regardless of exercise because I focus on the week as a whole. Food changes are made one at time until the habit is formed and then I change something else. What I eat to lose is what I plan to eat when I am in maintenance.
  • thatcrazykat
    thatcrazykat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am loosing at a rate of 1-2lbs per week. I do not eat back exercise calories as it's hard enough for me to eat enough calories in the first place because I am eating pretty clean. If I do go over I don't really have the guilt when I know I had calories to spare. I agree with not eating when I am not hungry although I do push myself to eat the cup of veggies for a snack for the nutrient value. So far so good!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I'm losing right now and I eat at a slight calorie deficit and work out 4 to 5 days a week. I also have cheat days or "mental health breaks" where I eat lots and drink too much. It works.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
  • Dwell4Design
    Dwell4Design Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback. Great advice and insight. I do use a heartrate monitor and I love it as it not only tracks calories burned but it motivates me as well. I think I am going to allow myself to eat back exercise calories when I am hungry, and see how that works. Eating more nutrient rich foods and less processed foods is what I strive for as I want to be healthy and create good habits I can do long term. I appreciate your tips and personal ways that work for you.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Definitely slow works for me. I don't intentionally eat back exercise calories but often go over my goal. This works for me:).
  • Kimba1974
    Kimba1974 Posts: 11
    Options
    I am trying to loose weight too. I have notice i will do ok for a week then all of the sudden for one day i am really hungry and it makes me depress and guilty and makes me want to quit. I notice that when I workout i am very hungry afterwards. I am cooking dinner right after and i have to keep myself from eating junk while i am cooking.
  • msnice2013
    Options
    I find that when I plan out my daily meals I do better. I am a diabetic so I try to plan out my daily calories into six meals a day. I do we'll when I stick to it but that' seems to be my problem, not sticking with it. I've lost 30 lbs and have another 40 to go. Today is my first day back on plan since Oct. I would like to be down another 10 lbs by Easter
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    For me, I have certain needs that may not be right for everyone else. I'm gluten-free for my thyroid, but rather than just replace everything with gluten-free versions, I just cut out bread and most grains altogether. I'm higher protein, higher fat, lower carbs, but not to the extreme as what others have done. I can't do my carbs too low because of hypoglycemia (associated with the thyroid syndrome I have), so I try to get my carbs from fruit and veggies, rather than grains. I was stuck for a while, but when I increased my cals just a bit more, raised my fat and protein percentage a bit, I started losing again--and felt better in general. Right now, technically, my goal is at 1950 cals (pre-exercise), but I usually only get to about 1600 or so. Honestly I only did that to get more protein grams in there without lowering my carbs... had to trick the system. LOL

I rarely eat back *all* of my exercise cals, especially with the higher cal goal. I'm just not hungry enough to eat them back.

I listen to my body more than anything else. I eat when I'm hungry... don't eat when I'm not hungry... and get in as many nutrients as possible. Most of the time, I'll fill my macros without hitting my cals, because the foods I eat are so nutrient-dense that they easily provide the macros I need without adding on empty cals.

But this has been working for me. It worked a couple of years ago when I lost 30 lbs (making only dietary changes and not increasing my activity level), and it's working now as I'm trying to lose the "final fifteen".

For exercise, which I view more on the level of health than purely weight loss (weight loss is just a bonus), I do very low-impact, moderate exercise. About 200 cals worth a day, usually walking, on the elliptical, yoga/pilates/fitness ball, or WiiFit. Like I said, I rarely eat these cals back, partly because my cal limit is high to begin with, partly because I'm focusing more on my body's cues than strict numbers, and partly because it's so few calories that it likely won't make a ginormous difference. Now, if I was burning 700 cals or more like some people on here, sure I'd eat at least most of them back. But 200?? I don't bother... unless I'm actually hungry.

Right now I'm losing about 0.5 to 1 lb a week, which I feel is a healthy, steady rate for how much I have left to lose. For others who are morbidly obese, they could stand to lose more per week. But for me, with not a whole lot left to lose, I'm good with that.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

This is really great info, and so is the other link on how to figure your TDEE.

That really is the most common sense approach to figuring your TDEE that I have seen. No online calculators. Just using your actual history.
    Going thru your steps my TDEE over the past 6 months came out to be around 1800. Since I have over 40 pounds left to lose to get to my ultimate goal, a 30% cut from that number would be 1260. I aim for around 1200, some days a bit over and some a bit under, but I also don't count every single carrot and almond I eat, so I'm sure that extra 60 calories evens out.
    I am steadily losing 1 pound a week now, so that coincides with the 500-ish calorie deficit.

I am 49, don't work outside the home, manage to ride my recumbent bike 3-4 days a week, and other than that, am very sedentary due to arthritis and injuries that limit my mobility.

I am found that a Low carb/high fat/ moderate protein plan works best for me, and my macros fall around 20Carb/30Pro/50Fat

On 1200 cals, this equals 90g protein, 67g Fat, and 60g Carb. I try to keep my 'net carbs' under 50, so I am usually a tad over on protein and fats.

I rarely eat grains or starches, and stay away from processed sugars as much as possible, as my body does much better without them.

I eat lean proteins, healthy fats from nuts and avocados, etc, and lots of high fiber carbs, usually from veggies, including 1 or 2 servings of fruit per day.
    I do eat cheese, mostly fat free cheese because the cals are so much lower and protein is higher than regular, and it is easier for me to get extra fats in than it is protein.
    I generally use Egg Beaters instead of whole eggs, for the same reason.

I catch a lot of flack from some people for eating the dreaded 1200 cals, and I certainly do not suggest that it is appropriate for the majority of people here, but for me, it is working and I am steadily losing weight, keeping what appears to be all of my muscle mass so far, as I am stronger than ever, and not really sagging much anywhere, except the girls are heading south a bit, but that is to be expected at my age and after having 3 kids!

I carry the majority of my weight in my midsection, which puts me at higher risk for Diabetes, as well as having my mom die from it last summer. So the lower carb plan works very well for me and my blood sugar is staying in a very good range. Hopefully I can continue to dodge that bullet.

My pain levels are a fraction of what they used to be. I have more energy than ever. I sleep better, my moods are better, I don't have carb cravings from fatigue like I used to have. I just really feel great. My only problem now is being careful not to overdo it with the exercise because I can certainly do that and end up on the couch for a few days. Sometimes my WILL is stronger than my WAY.

I truly do have a much better quality of life now than I ever thought possible again, and so this is a new way of life for me, which I will hope to continue for many years to come.