Sugar Avoiders: what do you eat for dessert/treats?

Options
I've recently cut out as much "obvious sugar" as I can but I still eat fruit and get some from things like small amounts of dressings and condiments. I'm going to cut back on those too, just not right now. (baby steps, people... baby steps!) Last night was the first time I wanted to indulge in a treat since I've started. I'd burned a serious amount of calories on a long bike ride and also had some friends over for a pj party for both adults and kids and there were goodies involved. I settled on the SO Delicious Mini Coconut Milk bars because they are only 100 cal and 7g sugar per serving. Just wondering what other people do? Do you make something with alternate forms of sugar (such as agave) or sugar substitute (Truvia) or do you treat yourself to something totally without redeeming value other than taste-bud pleasure (standard treats like cakes, ice cream, pastry, etc). I eat a lot of things like berries and greek yogurt, etc so I'm not looking for those kinds of suggestions as "dessert"... I mean a true treat for the mouth and mind like a gourmet cupcake or hand dipped ice cream bar. :)

Replies

• beets_yum
    beets_yum Posts: 36
    Options
    I think the key to long-term (or longer-term) sugar avoidance is adjusting your taste buds. In the past when I've quit sugar I've been accustomed to a taste of something sweet after dinner. For a few days to wean myself I'd have something like sugar-free jello. Eventually, some fresh berries with creme fraiche or unsweeted whipped cream were really good enough to enjoy as a sweet treat.

I've also made different "rules" for myself. Sometimes I'd allow myself honey or date sugar or maple syrup. Honestly I think it's easier this time around when I am eating no sugar--nothing added, no secret sugar ingredients in condiments, no honey, agave or maple syrup. I'm having way fewer cravings for sweet stuff.

One thing I have been using this time is stevia. I use the Trader Joe kind. It's bitter in large quantities but for the first few days after I quit sugar it was nice to have a tiny scoop in water with a squirt of lemon, or mixed into greek yogurt with a pinch of unsweetened cocoa powder or a drop of vanilla extract.

If you like the coconut treats, this might appeal to you. http://nomnompaleo.com/post/44223814717/mexican-chocolate-pots-de-creme-dairy-free

It does call for coconut sugar in the topping. I put a can of coconut milk (full fat) in the fridge intending to make whipped cream with it, but I never made it that far! I stirred it up with a spoon and it got pretty creamy and added a pinch of cocoa powder. I'm on week three of no sugar so that was pretty delightful!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I like dates they are sweet but very nutritious
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    whole frozen blueberries and blackberries eat them like lollies. Ill have half a cup and eat them one by one they are better than lollies actually :)
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Daily I take 1/3 of my smoothie and freeze it and top with some cool whip sugar free but If I am talking real treat I go with Edys slow churned different flavors I find it rich enough to qualify in the treat category it has 1/2 the fat of my former ice cream and about 150 calories for 1/2 cup so a scant cup hits about 230 or 240 calories
  • XRavenhood
    XRavenhood Posts: 102
    Options
    I don't like to make exceptions with junkfood because it's so addictive, and "a little bit more" can go quite far, so I stick to wholesome stuff like fruit smoothies and date/nutcocoa powder balls. Once your taste buds have a break from all the junkfood, you'll find yourself enjoying "healthy" sweets.
  • OregonLaurel
    Options
    I get what you are saying, Ravenhood, and for the most part, I agree... but this is life and sometimes it's ok to make other choices. As an example, I abstained from cake and ice cream at my niece's 2nd birthday party recently but if my children make or pick out a special cake or treat for me on mother's day or a birthday or I make a special dessert for a holiday or celebration, I'm not going to pass those things up for the rest of my life.

I was just curious what other people do because there are all kinds of recipes out there for "paleo desserts" or "sugar free" but then they use agave or stevia or dark chocolate... right now I'm not interested in making those things, but as I said, last night I wanted to have something small and be apart of the group indulging in a treat. I have found that fruit, berries and the like are much sweeter having cut out other forms of sugar so I understand what you all are saying about that part of eating sugar-free.

thanks for the ideas :)