Any suggestions for eating and working overnight?

Options
Hi all, I joined about a week ago & I love this site! So far I have lost about 3 lbs. I'm really excited and hoping to keep up the momentum. I'm currently working night shift and sometimes I get hungry when I get off. I know eating before sleeping is NOT good so if anyone out there has experience with this, I'm all ears!!!

Replies

• rebelgirl199122
    Options
    I work 40 hours a week on overnights so i completely understand! i usually head to bed around 7am, my little trick is to eat a meal around 3:30 to -4am ( last night i had a wheat bagel) im not hungry when i get home and i have more time to digest.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    If you have calories left then you should eat if you are hungry. Eating before bed is not bad! But if i ate later at night then i would personally push back or even skip breakfast..
  • Juliew518
    Juliew518 Posts: 17
    Options
    If you are hungry, you need to eat some protein. Maybe a boiled egg. It will take the edge off and you will not feel the hunger pangs.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I've been working 3rd shift 8 yrs. Sometimes when I get home I go to bed. Other times I'm pumped up so I eat a small breakfast and watch TV then go to sleep. I try and eat my main meal about 4-5PM then I'm out of the house doing this and that. I tend to eat my lunch at work, usually consists of nuts, craisins, fruit, simple stuff.

It's my days off that I get totally messed up with meal planning?! :laugh: :tongue:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If you have calories left then you should eat if you are hungry. Eating before bed is not bad! But if i ate later at night then i would personally push back or even skip breakfast..

This.

I shift work and haven't had an issue losing weight and eating before bed. Regardless of how I plan my meals I find myself needing something at 7am before bed. I often have my best runs after eating in the morning before bed.
  • agoddessintraining
    agoddessintraining Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I work a graveyard shift too. My problem is what to time to start tracking. Midnight or something like 8am
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I work a graveyard shift too. My problem is what to time to start tracking. Midnight or something like 8am

IT really doesn't matter. Either way you will find you may be over one day, but a lot under the next. I log from when I wake up until I go to sleep, so some days I log from like 1pm to 7am the next day as one day. Or you can just do all your food from 0001-2359