I don't understand my cravings

Options
I am a college athlete and I work out on a regular basis. For example my Tues and Thurs consist of a team workout, breakfast, weight training, nutrition class, and lastly 45 minutes of spinning class on stationary bikes. The other days of the week I do my best to work out for more than an hour as well (a team workout followed by an "Insanity workout" etc). Typically I make sure to eat a protein and carb snack between each workout and I am a very healthy eater. The days I work out I seem to be hungry ALL THE TIME. Lately I have been having big problems with binging though. I will eat healthy all day and then when I come to social situations all I can seem to do is stuff myself with everything unhealthy in sight. This wouldn't really be a big deal to me except it makes me very, very ill afterwards. I feel pain in my abdomen and nausea but am unable to vomit. My friends speculate this is because my body isn't used to unhealthy foods and lots of dairy, sweets, sugar, fat, etc. Do you know anything further? Could I be lacking something in my regular diet that causes me to crave these things whenever I see them? Why do I get so ridiculously sick after eating at a party? The most recent party menu was tacos, chips, taco dip, queso, salsa, piñata candy, birthday cake, and cookies. My normal diet is very vegetable and fruit heavy with lean proteins and whole grains in moderation. I don't eat a lot of dairy or refined grains and never any meat besides fish (eggs, tofu, etc I DO eat).

Also has anyone else ever had a big problem with sugar? Once I start eating something sugary I just HAVE to have more!

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Do you have your setting on very active? What is your calorie goal? If your calorie goal is too low it can make you want to binge.
  • foxxykitten
    Options
    It was on light because I felt like I spent a lot of time sitting in class or on my computer doing work, but I switched it to moderate?
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you work out on regular basis, do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough fats in your diet? If you aren't, you will want to binge on those. If you can add a couple essential fats (monounsaturated, omega-3s) to your diet, it might help.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    You're a college athlete, you have your settings on "lightly active" and you're worried about sugar consumption? I'm a 40 year old desk jockey and I eat pizza, ice cream, cookies and anything else I want pretty regularly because I exercise regularly. I also drink beer. Relax and live a little. Your body is probably yelling at you to eat, in all honesty.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It would be easier to offer advice if your diary was open.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You're a college athlete, you have your settings on "lightly active" and you're worried about sugar consumption? I'm a 40 year old desk jockey and I eat pizza, ice cream, cookies and anything else I want pretty regularly because I exercise regularly. I also drink beer. Relax and live a little. Your body is probably yelling at you to eat, in all honesty.

I agree with every word of this.

Plus, you only have 7 pounds you want to lose as per your ticker. I hope you're set to a half pound a week, or about 10-15% below your TDEE. You don't want a large calorie deficit if you want the energy to continue your sports.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm also a college athlete so I know how hard it is. General advice for binging is eat more healthy foods so you're full. This video might be helpful actually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR-4AsXrzuk

Also, have a read of http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    and/or
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-to-estimate-maintenance-caloric-intake.html

Set protein to 1g/lb of bodyweight.
    Set fat to 0.5g/lb of bodyweight.
    Fill the remaining calories with carbs.

These are generalisations. Of course, it needs to be adjusted for each individual and this is mainly trial and error. My actual maintenance is about 3200 even though I weigh 157lbs and am 172cm tall. I've used a ton of calculators and equations, but the one that's working for me right now is the Schofield equation here http://www.globalrph.com/schofield_equation_bmr.htm or the really specific one here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Good luck and please don't fall into the typical college diet of alcohol and pizza. Remember, you're an athlete.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I agree with every word of this.

Plus, you only have 7 pounds you want to lose as per your ticker. I hope you're set to a half pound a week, or about 10-15% below your TDEE. You don't want a large calorie deficit if you want the energy to continue your sports.

Yup this. Up your goal. If you spread your calories out throughout the day you'll be less likely to make yourself sick.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you are seriously craving something, I figure there is a reason. So eat it and move on with your life.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I think you DEFINITELY need to change your setting to very active - you just aren't getting in enough calories and fat most of the time, probably, which is why your body yells at you to EAT whenever you get in a more relaxed setting where your food rules don't feel as stringent!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I never understood the "set to active" thing. It seems to make a lot more sense to enter your actual exercise calories instead of trying to average yourself into one category.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough fats in your diet? If you aren't, you will want to binge on those. If you can add a couple essential fats (monounsaturated, omega-3s) to your diet, it might help.

Def if you eat healthy fats, you won't be feeling so deprived. I'm hungry a lot too but having healthy fats in my diet certainly helps. And make sure you're eating enough!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you're a college athlete, so you're in the 18-22 year old range. you work out regularly. if you are really having bad cravings, it means you probably aren't eating enough on a regular basis.

i remember swimming in college, i used to have the most rediculous cravings. mostly for cheese fries. even now, after a swim, i still crave them.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, I developed major urges to binge when I was very active, yet keeping my carbs too low. For the sort of athletics you are doing, you do need a decent amount of carbs. If you do not get enough, you will react to simple sugars like a crack addict to crack. Add in more whole grains or some baked or sweet potatoes, some nuts and seeds, some dried fruit and such things. And make sure you are getting enough fat as not getting enough can interfere with hormonal levels. You are very active. So to set yourself to only lightly active, is insane. That is for people who exercise moderately 3-5 hours a week.

Also, there is nothing wrong with some less clean foods sometimes. If you totally deprive yourself for long periods, then yes, you will go nuts when it is available. The 80/20 rule is a sound idea. Your youth along with your activity will be torching calories like no-one's business. Healthy eating is great, but that can include some ice cream and chocolate and cake in moderation.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I never understood the "set to active" thing. It seems to make a lot more sense to enter your actual exercise calories instead of trying to average yourself into one category.

^^^This, maybe particularly in this case. That sounds like a lot of training volume to me. As in, a couple thousand calories a day.
    There could also be an overtraining issue here. I was a rower in college so trust me I've been there. I was sneaking off to run hills after practice (at least until my coach busted me).
    I would advise setting MFP to sedentary, entering exercise, and eating back 75%+ of the exercise calories. It makes no sense to let the strength training go down the drain, and your teammates need you to be at 100% on game day :)
  • Thisisnotadiet
    Thisisnotadiet Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The fact that you are HUNGRY ALL THE TIME on the days when you exercise is because you are not having enough calories. Your body is telling you that. EAT MORE. Please follow the link you have been given above and set your TDEE to be at the max level of activity, because that is what it is.

For example I have my TDEE-15% set at more than 1600 (moderate activity with 3-4h/week exercise), but yesterday I ate way more than that (above 2000). Guess today? This morning my scale is giving me a number lower than it did yesterday and this is likely because I have been very active this week, so the moderate activity has temporarily become intense activity. Yesterday after lunch I almost had the total calorie intake for the whole day with nothing left for dinner. I disregarded that and ate anyway a normal dinner because I was genuinely hungry. If I would have restricted myself too much I would have certainly binged later in the evening on chocolate... Maybe you are in a similar situation.

Open your diary if you want further advice.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I actually enter mine manually, but since the OP is having trouble with wanting to eat them all at once I suggested it so that she can space them out throughout the day. It would work either way, it's just a matter of preference.
  • christianivanka
    christianivanka Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i really recomend you drink a green juice before lunch, or dinner, this fills u up alot and gives u all the nutrients u need:
    8oz water,
    frozen veggies to make into a smoothie
    1/2 cucumber
    kale
    spinach
    celery
    parsley
    cactus
    ginger
    brocoli
    carrot
    1/2 green apple for flavor
    1 lemon
    1tbs flaxseed
    2 stevias

and if u want something instant try l-glutamine on an empty stomach works miracles good luck!!
  • foxxykitten
    Options
    For me, personally, I developed major urges to binge when I was very active, yet keeping my carbs too low. For the sort of athletics you are doing, you do need a decent amount of carbs. If you do not get enough, you will react to simple sugars like a crack addict to crack. Add in more whole grains or some baked or sweet potatoes, some nuts and seeds, some dried fruit and such things. And make sure you are getting enough fat as not getting enough can interfere with hormonal levels. You are very active. So to set yourself to only lightly active, is insane. That is for people who exercise moderately 3-5 hours a week.

Also, there is nothing wrong with some less clean foods sometimes. If you totally deprive yourself for long periods, then yes, you will go nuts when it is available. The 80/20 rule is a sound idea. Your youth along with your activity will be torching calories like no-one's business. Healthy eating is great, but that can include some ice cream and chocolate and cake in moderation.

Yup, lots of this is ringing true (especially reacting to sugar like a crack addict to crack, it's frightening….) I like to be in control of my eating (like pretty much all of us I'm guessing) and I work really really hard to stay in shape so these days when I go overboard and am actually in pain from eating so much I feel like a huge failure. But now I realize a lot of it may just be backlash from not eating enough to begin with because I have my calorie level set so low and I never enter in exercise…

It looks like I've been sort of on a yo yo diet with some days including a 2000+ calorie deficit and others a 2000+ calorie overload. No wonder my tummy hurts like heck.

If I go on a liquid diet tomorrow and make sure it's including enough calories/nutrients will this ease the pain in my too-full stomach?