Veggies! Which ones do you love and how do you prepare them?

Options

Replies

• lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I love raw veggies...carrots...celery and cucumbers with hidden valley ranch dip....the good stuff! I love the salad dressing packets and make them with mayo and milk. A little goes a long way.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I like raw beets chopped up fine in a food processor with balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil blended in. :heart:
    Baby brussels sprouts (milder flavor) drizzled with olive olive and balsamic vinegar and roasted.

ETA: When I cook pasta, I also like to take whatever veg I have (fresh or frozen) and add it to the boiling pasta for the last minute of cooking. It parboils the veg slightly without destroying the vitamins.
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Fresh green beans sautéed with a little butter, fresh garlic and lemon juice

Thin sliced red potatoes baked with a brushing of olive oil and sea or garlic salt

Grilled skewers of mushrooms, zucchini, and peppers
  • red8424
    red8424 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I love all veggies and I eat most raw but some I like to prepare: I like to make roasted cabbage "steaks" by doing a thin slice of a cabbage head in the oven with some garlic, salt, & pepper. I also love cauliflower roasted with hot sauce for "hot wing" style. I am newly addicted to kale chips roasted with olive oil and sea salt.
    Mmm Veggies!! :tongue:
  • KarenMoody1978
    Options
    how much dressing do you use on the raw veggies
  • mommapilks
    mommapilks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love, love, LOVE roasted cauliflower. I ate a whole head the other day and my stomach was NOT happy with me! Delicious with hot sauce dipped in greek yogurt "ranch"

I'm also on a spaghetti squash Pad Thai kick- so good and a huge bowl is only 275 calories (could prob be less if made with no chicken!) roasted butternut squash "fries" are another favourite of mine, mushrooms cut chunky "sautéed" in a small amount of beef broth, a whole onion sautéed with water, a bit of salt n pepper and a drop of oil until golden, throw in a handful of halved cherry tomatoes until wilted and then a splash of balsamic...great condiment! Cauliflower fried "rice" is pretty great as well with a drop of sesame oil.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I throw spinach,different colored bell peppers, and avocado into almost everything....sauteed and raw!
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I love roasted or sauteed (in mostly chicken broth and spices) brussels sprinkled with Parmesan cheese! yummy!
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Probably spinach. I like to sauté it in garlic and a little olive oil
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    These are all wonderful! Would anyone else like to add their favorite vegetable recipe?
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatmedelicious.com/2009/08/curried-mushrooms-and-peas.html
    This is a delicious, quick and cheap curry made from mushrooms, onions, peas and spices!
  • trobbin88
    trobbin88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not...brussel sprouts ;)
  • elephant_in_the_room
    elephant_in_the_room Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm on a "creamy" broccoli kick -- 3 cups of broccoli and a head of garlic roasted and then tossed with 1/2 cup of garlic hummus.
    As asked on another thread: what, please, is a cup of broccoli? How fine do you chop it up before you put it into your measuring cup? And do you really only chop up half a stalk first and then see how many cups you have got now?

And what is a head of garlic? One single clove or an entire bulb?

I don't dare to ask how you roast them....
  • bethb41
    bethb41 Posts: 9
    Options
    Fortunately, I love just about any veggie but favorite is probably roasted cherry tomatoes sprinkled with a tiny bit of cheese ( prefer parmezan)
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Yum. This all looks so good!
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    zucchini is my absolute favorite. i like it grilled on the bbq with some olive oil, salt, garlic, pepper. or sauteed in olive oil with onions, mushrooms and garlic.

roasted broccoi is super yummy

grilled or roasted asparagus

in the summer big old chopped salads with several types of lettuce, bell peppers, green onions, and cherry tomatoes.

spinach sauteed with garlic and mushrooms

i pretty much love putting mushrooms and garlic in everything, eggs, with chicken...

i love veggies... not so much fruit
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Roasted asparagus tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper. It's pretty amazing.
    Roasted cabbage with lemon juice and olive oil and salt and pepper.

I'm trying cauliflower this week with buffalo sauce on it. :)
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Right now I've been doing a spinach stir-fry with Peppers, Onions, Mushrooms, and garlic. Takes about 3 minutes to prepare and really low calories for the volume of food.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options

And what is a head of garlic? One single clove or an entire bulb?

I don't dare to ask how you roast them....

the whole bulb is a head of garlic...
    you roast it by chopping off one end of the bulb so it exposes most cloves, wrap it in foil and put in the oven.. on like 350-400 for about 15-20 min. its amazingly good