Keep fighting... you are worth it.

Options
Today, the confluence of personal, family, and business pressures finally got to me. I ate about 1,000 calories over my daily allotment. Some of that was counterbalanced by exercise while umpiring little league this afternoon. But at 10pm, I was still about 550 calories in the red. I thought about going to sleep with it that way, and writing today off as a "cheat day." I thought about some creative accounting in my exercise numbers to turn my day's total from red to green. It was late, and I was ready to snuggle deeply into my warm bed. But I did not.

I realized that there was one thing more important than the rush I get from eating to cram down anxiety, boredom and stress. That is the rush that I get from my successes on here that have motivated other people to successfully battle THEIR own eating demons. I realized that if I went to sleep in the red, or, worse, cheated on my exercise numbers to turn my day falsely green, the only person I would be cheating is me.

I looked down at my watch. Then I looked once more-- longingly, wistfully-- at my bed. Finally, I headed to the closet. Five minutes later, I had my sweatshirt, sweatpants, sweatsocks, walking shoes, and iPod all in place. I trundled my not so little (but smaller than 7 months ago) derriere right out the front door. An hour later, I had sweated, panted, and struggled my way from red numbers to true, honest, legitimate green numbers. But more than that, I regained a little bit of the self-respect that I have tried to build on here over the past 7 plus months. While I walked very briskly (for me), I imagined the anxieties, boredom and stress that caused me to eat 1,000 calories over my daily allotment all pouring out of my body along with the copious amounts of sweat and carbon dioxide... gone forever in the chilly night air.

I have a wish for each and every one of you. I wish you would remember my experience tonight the next time you need to battle your own eating demons. And if you do, please drop me a note. It would absolutely make my day to know that I have helped someone the way others on here have helped me over the past several months.

Scott R. in Houston, Tx.

Replies

• Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
  • kjanoudi
    kjanoudi Posts: 18
    Options
    Well done Scott!
  • spicacio
    spicacio Posts: 33
    Options
    GREAT post Scott! You have HEART and that's what is going to get you through this! and YES it did help me and motivate me! Have a great rest of your weekend!

Santos
  • D0ry
    D0ry Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Amazing, Scott! I'm so proud of you when I read your posts!!! And so happy that I'm your friend and able to read them :)

I can assure you that your story has motivated me a lot of times before. My demons are very powerful and I know they will attack again, every once in a while ;) I know that I will think about your post(s) again when that happens.

Have a great Sunday! :)
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are a better man than me. Oh wait, I'm not a man. But I'm still super impressed! When people ask me how I lost the weight, I tell them about this website and I tell them that I count calories and I move my *kitten*. I commonly hear "That's IT?!?" as their response. UM YEAH! If "that's it?!?" then why aren't they doing it? They make it sound like it's so simple but for those of us that are here putting in the effort every day, we know that it's not. It's a constant stuggle to make the right choices.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Well done! I'm glad you beat the demons and didn't end up cheating yourself! You are definitely an inspiration. Keep up the good fight, you are a winner! Thanks so much for posting this. *Hugs* (Mrs. TFT permitting) I am so proud of you! :flowerforyou:

Kat
  • bpmichael
    bpmichael Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks Scott. You are inspiration. I have had a lot of those days the last couple of weeks where I am well into the red. Reading this makes me think that I can get this going again and fight my food demons too
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Amazing post. Thank you.