do you have any Chinese recipes?

Options

Replies

• Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    1) As a Chinese, I love my white rice.

As a Chinese who likes to feel full after a meal and not suffer a carb crash 30 minutes later, I use a 50/50 ratio of Jasmine rice and white quinoa to go with my stir-fry dishes. Half a cup of each makes enough to feed 4-6 (one serving size = 1 measuring cup).

2) My stir-fry gravy:

1 cup organic low-sodium chicken stock (if you want even less sodium, make your own broth from boiling boneless and skinless chicken breasts);
    One-eighth cup Tiparos fish sauce (it has less sodium than Kikkoman regular soy sauce but more flavorful to me);
    1 tbsp pure dark sesame oil (I use the brand Kadoya);
    1 tsp ground white pepper;
    1 tbsp organic corn starch.

Mix all the ingredients and stir vigorously before immediately pouring into your wok of stir-fry.. Drop the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until food is cooked thoroughly.
  • erynleigh13
    Options
    This is by far one of my new favorite recipes. You can make it with a veggie stir fry or use quinoa in place of fice. This makes quite a bit, but is declicious left over also!

Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken

The chicken coating:

3-4 boneless chicken breasts
    salt + pepper
    1 cup cornstarch
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/4 cup canola oil

The sweet and sour sauce:

3/4 cup sugar
    4 tbs ketchup
    1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
    1 tbs soy sauce
    1 tsp garlic salt

Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees. Rinse your chicken breasts in water and then cut into cubes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dip chicken into the cornstarch to coat then dip into the eggs. Heat your 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet and cook your chicken until browned but not cooked through. Place the chicken in a 9x13 greased baking dish. Mix all of your sweet and sour sauce ingredients in a bowl with a whisk and then pour evenly over the chicken. Bake for one hour and during the baking process you will need to turn the chicken every 15 minutes.
  • Sunarian
    Sunarian Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • trixi00
    Options
    This is more Vietnamese than Chinese but it's delicious and easy to make.

http://herbivoracious.com/images/old/6a00e008d618bb883401127963169928a4-800wi.jpg

the tofu is pan fried, but tofu does not really absorb oil, so it's not as fattening as you would think...Enjoy!!

Vietnamese Lemongrass Green Beans and Tofu
    Serves 4
    Vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free

1 lb. extra-firm tofu, patted dry and cut into 1/2" cubes
    1 lb. green beans, stem ends trimmed
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    3 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
    1 tablespoon peeled and finely grated fresh ginger (a microplane is ideal for this)
    2 stalks of lemongrass (prepared as described above)
    optional: fresh chili peppers of your choice, minced
    1 teaspoon soy sauce
    salt
    black pepper
    In a large skillet or wok over maximum heat, fry the tofu in about half of the oil until it is crispy and brown, stirring occasionally. See picture above. Remove to paper towels and season with salt and black pepper.
    Add the remaining oil to the pan, along with the garlic, ginger, lemongrass and chilis (if using). Fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the green beans and toss thoroughly. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until somewhat tender and nice brown spots are developing. If necessary, you can add a bit of water and cover the pan for a couple of minutes to steam them. (Or pre-microwave for 3-4 minutes first – this can be a really helpful technique).
    Add the tofu back in, along with the soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir, taste and make any final seasoning adjustments, and serve.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    'Steamboat' dinner last Saturday, which was the eve of the Lunar New Year. Chicken stock made from scratch with chicken thighs, celery, carrots, onions, and garlic. Cook whatever you want in the electric skillet when the broth comes to a boil.

This meal was not only healthy because of all the protein and complex carbs, it was an awesome communal experience for my American family.

Warning: meal may take a much longer time to complete since you pretty much cook and wait. But you can get pretty interesting conversations in the process. :smile:

1pgg20.jpg
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Bump....yummy dinner ideas:-):bigsmile:
  • kpederslie
    kpederslie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Saving this for later, awesome thread.. great ideas!
  • choosingsara
    choosingsara Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump
  • alijaxfp
    alijaxfp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Here's one I found on here, my whole family LOVES it. I serve it over shirataki noodles...
    Honey Chicken Stir-fry

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
    1 garlic clove, minced
    3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
    3 tablespoons honey
    2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli stir-fry vegetable blend
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1 tablespoon cold water
    Hot cooked rice

Directions

1.In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken and garlic in 2 teaspoons oil. Add the honey, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until chicken is lightly browned and juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.

2.In the same pan, stir-fry the vegetables in remaining oil for 4-5 minutes or until heated through. Return chicken to the pan; mix well. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Serve over rice.
  • samweee
    samweee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Homemade fried rice.

I use brown rice, prepare it with package directions, put it in a pan with whatever veggies (or meat, if youd like) and fry it with a little cooking spray. Remember the green onions! They always give it that little chinese food flare. And if you like spicy, I recommend a little crushed red pepper. Add a fried egg, and a splash of low sodium soy sauce. Yum!
  • lauraellie10
    lauraellie10 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Some lovely recipes here. I love Chinese food! xx
  • Blair_Waldorf
    Blair_Waldorf Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love Chinese food! I'm gonna have to try some of these awesome suggestions :smile:
  • Blair_Waldorf
    Blair_Waldorf Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    emilybites.com has a broccoli and beef crockpot recipe that is out of this world :bigsmile:

Yum! Gonna have to try that one! I love crock pot meals, thanks! :smile:
  • shella_bella
    Options
    omg bump :love:
  • MummyMikaela
    MummyMikaela Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have a stand by stir fry recipe,marinade pork/beef or tofu in soy sauce, garlic, ginger ( both frozen and chopped) and a pinch of 5 spice and a drop of honey. Leave in fridge while at work then stir fry with pre cooked noodles and some stir fry veg and add some oyster sauce if you like - Easy dinner and amazing .a
  • Ellienana
    Ellienana Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Ellienana
    Options
    Bump
  • Ellienana
    Options
    Bump