Sugar from raw fruit

Options
I am usually always over on my sugar and I only eat raw fruit - one orange every day and usually a raw pear. Is fruit sugar bad?:explode:

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about sugar from fruit - unless you're eating an excessive amount of fruit, which it doesn't seem like you are.
  • NotBuyingIt
    Options
    Nothing wrong with sugar in whole foods such as fruit. Everything wrong with refined sugar.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Nope, keep eating your fruit
  • sun9dance
    Options
    Thanks! I will.
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    Your main sugar problem is coming from other sources than the fruit if your over your limi
  • sun9dance
    Options
    My daily allowance for sugar is 28 - one navel orange is 14 and pears in light syrup with my cottage cheese is 12 so just these two things, orange and pear, is all I can eat. If I wanted to have an apple, raw pear or grapes, it puts me over my limit. Perhaps I will have to use something else with the cottage cheese. However due to high cholesterol, the nutritionist says that I should have pears. I have moved so don't have a nutritionist anymore. :explode:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My daily allowance for sugar is 28 - one navel orange is 14 and pears in light syrup with my cottage cheese is 12 so just these two things, orange and pear, is all I can eat. If I wanted to have an apple, raw pear or grapes, it puts me over my limit. Perhaps I will have to use something else with the cottage cheese. However due to high cholesterol, the nutritionist says that I should have pears. I have moved so don't have a nutritionist anymore. :explode:

How about a actual fresh pear rather than one soaked in syrup?
  • sun9dance
    Options
    Funnily enough a raw fresh pear has more sugar (18) than the Dole pear pieces in light syrup. I will subsitute with berries.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The cottage cheese probably have sugar too. Personally I don't worry about it, I just try to limit refined sugar as much as possible.

Oh and I see 18g of sugar for pears in light syrup here by the way... the whole pear would be healthier.
  • imperfect188
    Options
    Thank you for the informtion. I too was wondering about this. I cut out refined sugar as well but I seem to be over my daily intake but eating fruits and veggies.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Ditch the syrup pears and eat onesn natural juice or regular pears.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I asked my DR about this and he told me as long as my sugar is coming from fresh fruit, he could care less how much my sugar intake was for the day.
  • patty45parallel
    Options
    I would like to see a separation between sugar from fruit and other sources. Because so many foods register as containing sugar, it all adds up. Even when I subtract out those sugars from frut, I just hate seeing that red number. Makes me feel like I've done something wrong just because I ate an apple and a banana for the day.
  • cpudoc64
    cpudoc64 Posts: 135
    Options
    Yep, I'm over my sugar limit just about every day but it's all from my food. No added sugar(or salt) here

I agree on the separation I'm just thinking that would be extraordinarily hard for them to program....just sayin'....
  • sun9dance
    Options
    Just to clarify - raw Navel orange 14 sugar
    Dole pear pieces in light syrup 12 sugar
    raw pear 16 sugar
    raw apple 13 sugar

According to My Fitness Pal's calcualtions, there is more sugar in the raw pear than the Dole pear pieces in ight syrup.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I ready in Oxygen Magazine that you need to watch your processed sugars but natural sugars just count it in your daily carb amount.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit = sugar from other sources, holding sugar types constant ie sucrose, fructose etc
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify - raw Navel orange 14 sugar
    Dole pear pieces in light syrup 12 sugar
    raw pear 16 sugar
    raw apple 13 sugar

According to My Fitness Pal's calcualtions, there is more sugar in the raw pear than the Dole pear pieces in ight syrup.

The fresh pear is healthier, though.

If it's from fruit, don't worry about it. Fruit is healthy.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't rely too heavily on sugar counts on all fruits on MFP, there is one for an apple that has 24g of sugar...I looked it up through the USDAs website and it's closer to 12-15 g. It's fruit, I wouldn't worry about it
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about the extra fiber from the skin of the raw pear. I agree...fresh is better than any other form when possible.