Salad dressing?

Options
STKari
STKari Posts: 20 Member
Is there a salad dressing (store bought or made at home that is simple) that I can have with a very large salad that won't blow my calories/diet ect... I know most have a lot of calories and fat even the low fat stuff is often "bad". I'm trying to change the way I eat here and I've been wanting more salads and using things like spinach and arugula ect... (basically dark green leafy salads) for nutrition (the iceberg lettuce is not really nutritionally valuable).

Today we are going to two family birthday parties, since the parties are full of mexican food that is really fatty and lots of cheeses/sauce and pizza I plan to bring myself my own meal. I figure a large salad is very portable and I can add some lean meat to it or beans for protein... but I would love some dressing on it for some added flavor and yum factor.

I would appreciate any responses so I can run to the store in the next couple of hours and get what I need. Obviously I need something that doesn't need to sit in the fridge for hours before you can use it too. Something that once you make it/but it you can use it right away. I want to be able to utilize this for work too this week.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Replies

• sandytagain
    Options
    Hi there. I like to use avocado dip from Trader Joe's. It's creamy and I measure two tablespoons and viola! I also am going to get fresh avocado too and dice it up. No more mayo or dressing for me!!
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820452-salad-in-a-jar Try this link I think it will work. There are lots of great suggestions in it on salad dressings
  • sandytagain
    Options
    Also, have you tried bacon bits? Meijer's has them and they are vegetarian. No real bacon, just the flavor :) I do like ranch dressing but the low fat stuff is awful! I just think I better get away from all creamy stuff. Heck, look at all the calories you'll save for other yummy stuff later in the day or even at lunch snacking?
  • Keysted
    Keysted Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love Maple Grove Farms of Vermont Sugarfree Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing. Only 5 calories per 2T serving.
  • STKari
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820452-salad-in-a-jar Try this link I think it will work. There are lots of great suggestions in it on salad dressings

Thank you I am going to look right now.
  • STKari
    Options
    Hi there. I like to use avocado dip from Trader Joe's. It's creamy and I measure two tablespoons and viola! I also am going to get fresh avocado too and dice it up. No more mayo or dressing for me!!

No Trader Joes nearby but I do have avocado's so I could add those and use less dressing for sure.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I left the cream stuff a long time ago. I have found that I only use half the suggested amount and it lets the salad fixings flavor come through. Also so it you toss it and not just put it on top everything is covered. An old WW trick is to dip your fork in the dressing then in the salad. It goes farther and gets the dressing flavor on every bite. Just some suggestions. I really look for the vinagrettes that are now in so many flavors. Stay awau from the fat free and sugar free as those are more harmful to the body
  • 1fitwong
    1fitwong Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Here are a few things I used to add to make my salads low fat and yummy.

1 Acid---Balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice
    1 Fruit---blueberries, apples, pears, peaches...
    1 Flavor---red onion plus a soft herb if you have any like cilantro, basil...
    Always Season---salt & pepper...
    Optional--matchstick carrots, red bell peppers, cucumbers...

When I want to add fat I'll add avocado, chopped bacon, nuts or have with a delicious protein
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Favorite for me is Annie's fat free Raspberry vinagrette, yum! Also Braggs healthy vinagrette.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I started making a oil/vinegar dressing in single servings so i can control what I put on my salad. I use 1 teaspoon olive oil, 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar (use any you like), a tablespoon or 2 of water, a packet of splenda and shake some italian seasoning or other herbs in it. There is only 40 calories in a teaspoon of oil and it comes out tasting great. I use it over about 3 cups of mixed baby greens. You can add salt if you like but I made it without because that was what I was looking for in a dressing.
  • queenbear5
    queenbear5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I usually just put a tomato and an avocado along with some salt and pepper into my salad. Then I shake it like crazy and it makes it's own tasty dressing.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a low calorie Ranch dressing. One packet (or 3 TBS.) Ranch mix, 1 cup low fat mayo, 1.5 cups 1% milk. It works out to about 42 calories per 2 TBS. serving, depending on the mayo.
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i make this dressing all the time and use it on almost everything:

1/2 c. olive oil
    1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
    1-2 cloves of garlic pressed
    dried basil
    dried oregano
    black pepper

Mix all together in salad dressing shaker. I use 1 tbsp. on salad and count the calories as a tablespoon of olive oil. I keep it on the kitchen counter, and use it until it's gone.
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    I like to sort of make my own. Good Seasons makes a kit that comes with a cruet and a packet of salad dressing mix...Italian if I remember correctly. But what is great about it is that you can put as much or as little oil in it as you want thereby controlling the calories of the dressing. I usually add half the oil that they suggest and it comes out really good. (if you like oil / vinegar type dressings). You can experiment with different types of vinegars (apple cider and balsamic work really well) you can use high quality healthy for you oils and if you get more comfortable with it, instead of using the dressing packets, you can make your own and then don't have to worry about the preservatives that are added into the packets.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i make this dressing all the time and use it on almost everything:

1/2 c. olive oil
    1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
    1-2 cloves of garlic pressed
    dried basil
    dried oregano
    black pepper

Mix all together in salad dressing shaker. I use 1 tbsp. on salad and count the calories as a tablespoon of olive oil. I keep it on the kitchen counter, and use it until it's gone.

Saving for later.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I use either the Maple Grove Farms or the Bolthouse Farms dressings.
  • STKari
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I'm going to the store in a bit.
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever salad dressing I want, but I always serve it on the side, dip my fork tips in it then pick up my salad, My friends always make fun of me for doing this, but for me all I need is the smallest taste of it.
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump. I love salad dressing it is a set up for me,,
    I just now am getting acquainted with what vegetables taste like without
    being drown in dressing! Pretty tasty!