2lb loss in the first 4 days of mfp??

Options
how is this possible? I would love to believe it to be true..however, it seems too good to be true. I have followed my allotted calories, exercise, water intake, etc. I do have about 90lbs to lose & exercise is VERY new to me....any ideas as to the reality of a 2lb loss in such a short period of time? Oh, i purchased a new scale the day i started, it recorded my weight correctly i know, because i had just been weighed at the dr office 2 days before. Also the scale is in the same spot as when i first brought it home....

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Water weight.
  • threedeek
    threedeek Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    oh, wow thats depressing!
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It'll be the water but still a good start, keep it up!
  • threedeek
    threedeek Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I suppose Im just going to take it as a positive then and keep on moving! :happy:
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It is typical to lose a lot in the first week or two - I lost 9.5lb in my first 2 weeks for example. It is the body clearing out stored energy reserves of glycogen/water as it adjusts to working with lower calorie intake. There will be some fat loss, but typically water weight accounts for 60%+ of the total loss.
  • Simplifylifetowin
    Simplifylifetowin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would not be down on yourself for any loss that you worked for.. I even celebrate those .5 weeks! Re-frame your thoughts and any movement down the scale is progress!!!
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Water weight.

^^^^^^this
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I lost over 5 lbs my first week... it stayed off, so who cares if it was just water?
  • mudonthetires856
    mudonthetires856 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's water weight. Also, the weight generally drops off quickly at first. Even more so with people that have a lot to lose. Many people have seen a 20 pound loss in the first month, but it does slow down. Don't get discouraged if that happens. The closer you get to your goal, the harder it is to lose.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I lost 12lbs in my first 2 weeks. When you have a lot to lose you store a lot of water weight too. Enjoy the big losses while you have them, it eventually slows down! :drinker:

ETA: I only average about 3-4 lbs a month now, but the first 50 lbs fell off in the first 4 months, 8 months for the next 50lbs and the last 9lbs have taken me 3 months (I had a gain over xmas and had to get that back off so my averages are a little low due to that).
  • johnnyboytaylor
    Options
    I lost 12lbs in my first 2 weeks and since then I've been losing between 2-4lbs a week, I've now lost about 2 stone and I've only been doing it for 8 weeks.
    I was looking to lose about 3 stone in 5 months in time for my wedding and have been amazed by the results that I've been getting.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It's water weight, but, it's a weight-loss. You, from the sound of things, are doing everything right. Keep doing it!
  • Smeathers
    Smeathers Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Even if it is just loss of retained water, I think it's good to get that excess sodium (like in my case of 2 lb in one week) out of system. I think it's just how our bodies adjust. Not discouraging at all. :)