Veggies! Which ones do you love and how do you prepare them?

Options

Replies

• algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Brussel Sprouts!

Either home-grown or frozen.
    Dump them in a bag with a couple of TBSP olive oil and a tsp sea salt and roast at 425* until tender.
    Line pan with foil for no clean up afterwards.

It doesn't get easier than this except to pop them in your mouth raw :smile:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Asparagus: wash, trim, and dry spears. Lay out on cookie sheet in single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Roast 12 minutes at 400 degrees. Spritz liberally with lemon juice before eating.
  • meaningful99
    Options
    Steamed fresh spinach with garlic, olive oil, salt and lemon juice. Steam it just until it's wilted but still bright green - remove before it gets mushy. So delicious!
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    Spinach in eggs. Just spray the pan and put the spinach in first. Broccoli steamed. And brusselsprouts with hot sauce.
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    I like:
    -brussels sprouts sautéed in garlic and butter with parmesan cheese on top.
    -steamed broccoli with cheese.
    -zucchini, sliced, seared on both sides in garlic and butter, with parmesan on top.
    -salad.
    -raw spinach, on/ in/ next to/ with everything

Also, I just want to add that I'm 24 but didn't really eat any veggies until I was pregnant (at 19) when all of a sudden I started craving veggies like crazy!

My 3 year old likes:
    -Caronis: Carrots sliced very thinly in rounds. Name comes from pepperoni.. we put these on pizza in place of pepperoni. He also likes them raw.
    -strawberries. (He's sitting next to me and I asked what vegetables he likes and this was his answer. Don't have the heart to disappoint him. lol)
  • cairee
    cairee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    steamed asperagus or broccoli, drop veggies in a hot wok(dont overcrowd it), add a couple tablespoons of water and put the lid on. wait a few seconds and add another couple tablespoons water, keep adding water in small amounts after it evaporates. in about one minute total the veggies are tender-crisp and very yummy with no seasonings, dressings or anything added.
  • estrobabe
    estrobabe Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Broccoli - steamed (sometimes I add a little cheese)

Asparagus - seasoned with lemon pepper :)

Baby Spinach - raw (my main go to veggie)
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I love basically any veggie roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper. My favorites are broccoli, red peppers, onions, zucchini, and carrots.

Right now I'm on a "creamy" broccoli kick -- 3 cups of broccoli and a head of garlic roasted and then tossed with 1/2 cup of garlic hummus.

:love:
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've had this for lunch dozens and dozens of times. Stir fry zucchini, small yellow squash, diced fresh tomato, with a little salt, add a little cooked chicken after ( I use schwans roasted chicken bites, cut into tiny pieces so I get a little chicken with each bite). I also have this seasoning called "mediterranean seasoning", don't know whats in it but it works great on veggies.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

My 3 year old likes:
    -Caronis: Carrots sliced very thinly in rounds. Name comes from pepperoni.. we put these on pizza in place of pepperoni. He also likes them raw.

I LOVE this! Definitely have to remember when my little guy can eat pizza and I want him to get more veggies(he's only 7 months old right now)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    mmm I love swiss chard with a little oil roasted in the oven until crispy and sprinkled with feta.. mmmmmmm
  • angellepen
    Options
    I could eat broccoli everyday. It's funny I use to hate them but have fallen in love. I enjoy other veggies too but I always prefer steamed broccoli with no salt I just add some cayenne pepper powder.
  • majoki
    majoki Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Steamed or raw is my goto preparation method.
    Spinach and asparagus are tops for steaming.
    Bell peppers and baby carrots are my tops for raw.

I'll also throw most vegetables (raw) into an egg white omelet/scramble with some hot sauce.

I also like most vegetables roasted, but I have to be more mindful about how much I eat because of the olive oil and kosher salt I would then add on top.
  • Rockytop_relic
    Rockytop_relic Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Asparagus! Simply pan fry in coconut oil with some minced garlic, sea salt and pepper...Yummy
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Roasted winter squash, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, zucchini, caramelized onion, etc.

Eggplant parm.

Celery with peanut butter and raisins and chocolate chips.

Sundried Tomatoes.

Boiled peas and fancy green beans.

Dehydrated peppers.

Kale Chips.

Green smoothies.
  • muktyfitness
    muktyfitness Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I pretty much throw a handful of baby spinach in whatever I'm eating- sandwiches, eggs, pasta sauce, pizza. It works in everything really.

I eat a lot of raw carrot and celery and always have steamed broccoli on hand to add to meals. I also love red onions and capsicum and throw those into most things I cook
    Interesting!, how do you steam broccoli? on a steamer?
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Oven roasted asparagus - drizzle with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, parmesan cheese. Roast 12-15min (we do a little longer as the kids like the tips a little crispy) in the oven at 425 degrees, then drizzle lightly with lemon juice. My kids and husband devour this too.

Kale as a salad base - the "power greens" or whatever it's called from Trader Joe's is delish and not tough or bitter as I was afraid it might be.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Asparagus: wash, trim, and dry spears. Lay out on cookie sheet in single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Roast 12 minutes at 400 degrees. Spritz liberally with lemon juice before eating.

I do this, but... I also top with a light spread of fresh minced garlic and I substitute NoSalt for the sea salt.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    A NEW to me veggie that I tried earlier this year is Turnips. They are YUM!!!

I made them with a mix of carrots and parsnips added in.

Carrots, Parsnips and Turnips

Peel turnips. Cut off the ends. Cube it. Put it in boiling water with NoSalt. Peel or don't the carrots/parsnips depending on your personal preference. I cut them into small pieces or shred. Use just enough water to cover them, too much and they taste watery. Bring back to boil then reduce to simmer till tender (don't remember... think about 1/2 an hour or so). Drain turnips. Mash/puree in mixer bowl, add a little sweetner to taste (I used stevia), a little butter, and, if you like, sprinkle on some real bacon bits and mix it. You can add a dash of almond milk if you need to make it creamier. Should have a mashed potato texture.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    bump

Great Ideas!

I tend to just steam mine or put them into a salad.