Turkey Breakfast Sausage

Options
cmeiron
cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
I'm making a second (massive) batch of these right now - the first didn't last long because they're so delicious!

http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_breakfast_sausage (recipe below for those who can't see the link)

I followed the recipe almost exactly as written; I only decreased the salt by half, doubled the onion and garlic powder, and I use 1 tsp of olive oil each time I fry up a batch of 4 patties in a pan. A 65g patty (uncooked) works out to 88 cals, 1 carb, 5 fat, 11 protein and 116 sodium (yield = 8 patties with recipe below). These are fantastic with just about any breakfast, as a high-protein snack, crumbled into pasta, etc. etc. They freeze beautifully and 1-2 minutes in the microwave warms them perfectly.

1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (omit or reduce for less spicy sausage)
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1 pound ground turkey
2 teaspoons canola or olive oil

Directions
In large bowl, mix applesauce, salt, pepper, cayenne, sage, red pepper flakes, coriander, garlic powder, and onion powder. Add ground turkey; using a light touch, mix until well combined. Use approx. 1/4 cup mixture to form each patty. (Use more to form larger patties if you want them to be the size of an English muffin.) Heat canola oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey patties; when browned, flip over and brown other side. Leaving patties in skillet, let juices that are released cook down and brown in pan. Add 2-3 tablespoons water to skillet to dissolve brown bits; as browned liquid cooks down, flip patties so they are coated in the brown liquid as they continue to cook. Remove and eat right away or freeze.

TO FREEZE the cooked patties: let cool, place it in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze. Transfer frozen patties to plastic bag. To thaw 1-2 patties, place on small plate & microwave at 50% power for 1 minute, flip patties and repeat for 30 seconds more, or until heated through.

Replies

• annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    These sound delicious. I have a sage plant and have been 'meaning' to make sausage for some time, but still haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for the recipe! :)
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    bumping--I need to make these!
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    sounds great! I have also fond the Jennie O brand turkey sausage links/patties are very good too - 93/7% and my boys love them too!
  • pattycake44
    pattycake44 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow! Sounds great!
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Ellienana
    Ellienana Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you!
  • fiferjim
    fiferjim Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sounds great if only I could cook :(
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Just made these and they are wonderful! Now I can't wait for breakfast! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe--my kids love sausage, and I'm very happy that I can give them something healthy, without all the preservatives or whatever scary stuff is in the turkey sausage patties from the store!