Food my mom buys :/

Options
I got a younger brother who is way to skinny to be my brother and my mom is buying him food that I shouldn't eat I don't have a job to make money to buy my own food (looking) I keep telling her that when she buys my brother a unhealthy snack she should buy me a more healthy one but she somehow always forgets then I end up eating the snack I shouldn't be and suggestions on what I should do or what I can tell myself to not eat the unhealthy snacks-Thanks

Replies

• Bubsys_mom
    Bubsys_mom Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Go shopping with her and suggest items?
  • julialou1979
    julialou1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Offer to shop for her. But still buy what she needs. Better yet, also offer to cook!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    both of these are great options. it helps your case if you're willing to put some effort into it yourself.
  • afia233
    afia233 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    literally in the same boat here.
    I have siblings who ask for snacks (belvita breakfast biscuits are my weakness) so when my mom comes back with the shopping its full of unhealthy stuff and i end up crumbling and having a packet a day.....
    its just a vicious cycle.....urgh...so frustrating.

Bumping for later!
  • 1GeorgiaPeach
    Options
    Thanks for your great suggestion

@afia233 Lol glad I am not the only one it is very hard and frustrating but like @coachreddy was writing gotta make an effort
  • mann17
    mann17 Posts: 15
    Options
    ^ ^good suggestions, i had the same problem with my moms shopping. I have a younger brother but hes 'muscle bound' and whatever he eats it just doesnt say on his body (lucky lol) and my mom would buy all type of bad foods (mac and cheese, mayo,pop, pop tarts and alot of boxed food with a lot of sodium). So i started going shopping with her and pretty much making her aware of how the foods that she is buying is bad not just for me but for all of use. Now she does buy have the stuff she use too, and now i got veggiee, fruits and healthy food in the house and everyone loves it ! :)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your great suggestion

@afia233 Lol glad I am not the only one it is very hard and frustrating but like @coachreddy was writing gotta make an effort

It's totally a tough situation - but I think once you show your mom that you really care about this, and you're willing to help her out, I think everything will be a lot easier. :)

good luck!
  • shrinkingsusie
    shrinkingsusie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    As a mom, I'd say to try to let her know that you want to make healthier food choices but not in a way that puts down the food she normally brings home. (Edit: I take that back. You can put down the food, just don't go negative on her). Go shopping with her if you can or ask her to pick up specific things. ie., Mom, can you please pick up a few apples and baby carrots from the store? If you eat them, she'll probably buy more.

I agree with the helping to cook. I think everyone should learn how to cook, even your brother. Ultimately, you're responsible for your own choices and portions.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I would start showing interest in helping prepare meals and whatnot for your family. If you do that, you'll have more input into what foods your mom is buying. Also, your mom would probably appreciate it.

I'm sure it's hard to be a parent and be the one buying groceries when you don't have an interest or a knowledge in good nutrition and healthy foods. If you want to have foods that are healthier and more suited to your diet, you need to take the initiative to get involved in it.
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options
    Omg I am in the EXACT same position as you, my little brother plays intense rugby and other sports 5 times a week and he has such a speedy metabolism he resembles a twig but still eats all the cakes and muffins my mum buys. Meanwhile I have to try and avoid them all because if I try to have one small slice of chocolate meringue for a treat it ends up being half the entire box :(
  • 1GeorgiaPeach
    Options
    Omg I am in the EXACT same position as you, my little brother plays intense rugby and other sports 5 times a week and he has such a speedy metabolism he resembles a twig but still eats all the cakes and muffins my mum buys. Meanwhile I have to try and avoid them all because if I try to have one small slice of chocolate meringue for a treat it ends up being half the entire box :(

Yes I know what u mean hopefully these post could help you as well wish you good luck!
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP's but would also like to add suggestions that are hopefully not going to blow the budget. Assuming you like almonds, Walgreens has them on sale usually every other week $4-5 for a pound bag. Good fats if 1 serving. Also satisfies the crunch factor. Baby carrots, laughing cow light cheese, apples. ( Just ideas for healthy snacks) Who knows, when your brother sees you eating healthy, you may be an awesome role model for him. Good luck to you with your job search and weight loss.
  • 1GeorgiaPeach
    Options
    I agree with the OP's but would also like to add suggestions that are hopefully not going to blow the budget. Assuming you like almonds, Walgreens has them on sale usually every other week $4-5 for a pound bag. Good fats if 1 serving. Also satisfies the crunch factor. Baby carrots, laughing cow light cheese, apples. ( Just ideas for healthy snacks) Who knows, when your brother sees you eating healthy, you may be an awesome role model for him. Good luck to you with your job search and weight loss.

Those are great suggestions I was writing a list down and was sick of eating the same healthy snacks I ail add them to my list thanks a ton!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Honestly it is easy to say these things and I am sure your mother means no harm, but healthy food is more expensive and it could be a budget thing as well. take for example a box of little debbie snack cakes costs aprox $1.50 for 8-10 cakes. that is about the same price of one organic apple. If your mom is running a tight budget then you might have to learn to make the most out of what she gives you. Best of luck to you, as others have said, try to guide your mom but please do not go negitive. God bless and good luck
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options
    I replace my normal milk with almond milk (healthier and tastier) and I'm going without chocolate for thirty days (from yesterday) until easter on the 31st, just to see if I have the willpower
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Honestly it is easy to say these things and I am sure your mother means no harm, but healthy food is more expensive and it could be a budget thing as well. take for example a box of little debbie snack cakes costs aprox $1.50 for 8-10 cakes. that is about the same price of one organic apple. If your mom is running a tight budget then you might have to learn to make the most out of what she gives you. Best of luck to you, as others have said, try to guide your mom but please do not go negitive. God bless and good luck

My household's income is >1500/mo, and we are actually spending LESS on groceries since we started cooking whole food, rather than packaged and boxed. When you actually cook veggies/meat and things that are good for you, you don't eat as much, the food goes further (think leftovers), and it tastes better. It's about what you want to invest. Time or money. And not everything has to be organic.
  • AnjellaRose_GF_SillyYak
    Options
    I have the same issues with my children, one child is slightly overweight and the other 2 are under...
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Try to see if you can help cook! There are great, healthy recipes for mac and cheese for instance (see: skinnytaste.com). Why not offer to cook 2-3 times a week and make family-friendly dinners that are healthier (you could even make extra so that you can have leftovers when the rest of the family is eating something you'd prefer to stay away from). Hang in there!
  • 1GeorgiaPeach
    Options

Oh I know money is a factor in the groceries buying
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Go shopping with her and suggest healthier alternatives, without completely sacrificing their favorite snacks. Maybe if she were more mindful of what she is putting into her body, perhaps she would do better. Use the trip as an educational opportunity (teach her how to read labels, ingredients, etc). Also, offer to cook meals at dinnertime! That way, she spends less time in the kitchen, and you get a healthy meal out of it.
    If neither of those suggestions work, just try to make due with what you have. You can fit the foods that she buys into your macros. At the end of the day, Weight loss is simply about calories in vs calories out