Increased water leading to more thirst?

Options
I have recently come back to MFP after about a year of horrible eating and soda drinking. I recently cut out most fluids except for water and drinking around 8-10 glasses of water a day. However it seems like once I started drinking more water, I feel MORE dehydrated and like my mouth/throat is always too dry. My lips have been more chapped as well. Is this my body getting used to the more water and wanting more, or what? I'm drinking Brita water and have a new filter, don't know if that makes any kind of difference.

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm always drinking a lot of water. No medical issues.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem, I put it down to my body being used to a certain amount of water every day now and if I don't drink that I notice it more.
  • SassJess81
    SassJess81 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but your question caught my eye. I have given up Coke Zero for about two weeks now and I am ALWAYS thirsty too and have chapped lips. I don't have a lot of salty stuff, and I take a daily multivitamin. I drink a lot of carbonated tap water from my Soda Stream, or plain water, but nothing else.
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I find the more water I drink the thirstier I seem which I think is a good thing. I don't think u can have too much water..
  • araes2102
    araes2102 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Me too! Gave up almost all diet coke (I only ever drank that and water) and now I am always thirsty and have chapped lips! Tried a passion tea (herbal and caffine free) from Starbucks yesterday to see if that helps but nope... stil thirsty and chapped over here...
  • AleksD3
    AleksD3 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem!
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I just told my husband this the other day. The more water I drink, the more I need. I chalk it up to doing a good thing for my body!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Actually you can drink too much water it is called Hyponatremia. What happens when you are over hydrated is that the nutrients you need get flushed out of your system. It actually happens in those times that you may believe dehydration is taking place, so you drink more.

One thing to think about is how much protein are you consuming. If your protein is too high, your kidneys have to work over time to help process, therefore using the water you drink to flush your system and then your body wants more. If it hasn't been too long since you were drinking sodas and eating things you shouldn't it may just be your body flushing toxins and just drink a little more for a little while.

Here are the symptoms of Hyponatremia:
    •Nausea and vomiting
    •Headache
    •Confusion
    •Lethargy
    •Fatigue
    •Appetite loss
    •Restlessness and irritability
    •Muscle weakness, spasms or cramps
    •Seizures
    •Decreased consciousness or coma
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I agree with Bonnie. It takes a long time. Remember to get water from food sources too - vegetables and fruits and soups - to pace the absorption.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - glad i'm not the only one! Hopefully it will improve soon as this is only day 3.